Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK - Page 3

Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK

This is a discussion on Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread made me feel that all is still right in the world.........

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK

VIP Member
    This thread made me feel that all is still right in the world......
    SpringerXD likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I've owned the PT99, and have three PT92's. They have all been perfect. All were purchased before Taurus decided to make a gazillion new polymer models and when the PT92 series was Taurus' bread and butter gun.

Sounds like you got a complete QC screw up by Taurus, and with all the new guns that issue every year, its not surprising. I looked at their catalog and they have so many different new models I don't know how they can keep the QC in line.

Advice to Taurus: Quit coming out with 25 new guns every year and get the ones already being produced RIGHT.
    Your business model is completely doomed for failure. All it takes is word of mouth and NO ONE WILL BUY YOUR CRAP GUNS NO MATTER WHAT PRICE POINT.
    YOu said it best, Taurus used to make a "decent" gun for the money spent, but now it is about how many different models of every gun they can make to try and appease everyone. Taurus sucks as of late and will not get any of my business. That said, I still buy the old steel framed .38spl that look like smith model 10's. They seem well put together and make great boat/tacklebox guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I wonder how many negative cliche responses against Taurus will be made in this thread from people who've never so much as shot one, let alone owned one.

If this were a Glock, SA, Kimber, Beretta, etc, etc, etc the only thing in this thread would be:

'I sent it in, can't wait to get it back.'

'It can happen, they'll make it right!'

But because it's a Taurus the haters will crawl from under the woodwork for this one. I wonder how many were sold by Taurus that never had an issue, and are running strong daily... yet one person makes a post that there's a problem and bam, Taurus is a POS company and everyone jumps on the bash bandwagon.
    Oh are you a Taurus fanboy? good for you, different strokes for different folks! Taurus sucks! The only Taurus I buy is older wheel guns, and maybe a 1911 if it were dirt cheap, because I can use it as a slide/frame and add real parts from a reputable company

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    In my lifetime I've owned one Taurus (a 738), if that makes me a fanboy so be it if it, especially if it makes you feel cooler.

I also own one Springfield Armory, one Bushmaster, one Ruger, one Winchester, one Remington, one CZ and hold your hats, 3 Smith and Wesson's, I must really be a fanboy there right?

Sorry, I don't go with the flow for everything I read and try to have an opinion of my own. If you had a legitimate bad experience with any brand, fine, but my post was for those who just recycle information with no personal experience of their own, I thought I made that pretty clear.

FWIW I did send it (738 TCP) off to Taurus and they fixed the issue quickly and to my satisfaction. I also had to send in my Ruger LCP that I've since sold. Lots of people have issues with the LCP and continue to recommend them, why should Taurus be any different?

I'll take a TCP over an LCP any day, for me it shoots much better, the trigger is great and it's more comfortable at the range not to mention it's less expensive.

Taurus has a lifetime warranty which is for the lifetime of the gun, and not bound to the original owner - that's a long time and I've not seen another warranty with those terms.

People in general are a lot more vocal about negative experiences, I'm guessing Taurus sells a LOT of guns because of their availability and price point alone. I doubt they'd still be in business if they were as bad as the Internet makes them out to be, how could they afford to repair all of those guns and still have time to make new ones?

Distinguished Member
    Gee, I have a Taurus PT-92. The gun is about ten+ years old. Fired several hundred rounds without a glitch. No problems at all. I think it's a fairly decent pistol. Maybe the quality control has gone down since I bought it.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Taurus has a lifetime warranty which is for the lifetime of the gun, and not bound to the original owner - that's a long time and I've not seen another warranty with those terms.
    "The Hi-Point Warranty

All Hi-Point firearms carry a lifetime, "no-questions asked warranty." Whether you are the original purchaser, or the third-hand owner, your Hi-Point firearm will be repaired free of charge.
    "

Welcome to Hi-Point Firearms!

I had a 24/7 Pro in .45ACP- the only malfunctions I ever had were due to a magazine issue. Which I fixed by 'gently tapping' the magazine against a solid surface. Worked great. Gun had a great trigger for a DA/SA with a polymer frame.

I have heard more people have with trouble with their Colts/Rugers/Sccys/S&Ws/Glocks and had bad CS on top of it, and still not be as fast to complain about quality. Then, it's all 'well, occasionally things slip through QC...' I had a Taurus that was a great gun, and everyone I know who has/has had a Taurus felt that it was a great gun.

Taurus is a big name manufacturer, and they do put out good products. Nobody says anything bad about the Judge, and that's a Taurus.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    Kel-Tec & Tarus (and the like) do seem attractive when you're on a budget, but you're SO much better off just being patient and saving for a Glock
    I'd rather have a Taurus then a glock. I'd save up to buy a Sig.

My wife bought one a few years ago.The first one shot great right out of the box. Then, mystery cracks seemed to appear on the slide. Back it went.The second one was junk right out of the box. We never shot it; we didn't even take it out of the store. The third one shoots like a pro and seems reliable so far. Third time is the charm?

I've several Taurus' over the years. Not a single problem with either of them?
    Tony

Have had mine for 4 years. Shoots well, no complaints

I'm glad that there are a number of happy Taurus owners who haven't had any issues. I wouldn't wish my bad experience with the Millennium Pro PT145 (45 ACP) I had 5 years ago on anyone. First time at the range it had numerous FTF's, FTE's and stovepipes. I was feeding it factory fresh American Eagle, Federal and WWB. Finally, right around the beginning of the third mag, it completely jammed and I had to have the range gunny look at it. He had to dismantle the gun and discovered a hairline crack on the left slide rail. Since I had bought the gun at the same place they took care of sending it back to Taurus where they had it for 3 months. I started calling them around the third week and was given the runaround. For the sake of brevity I won't go into the gritty details of dealing with their CS. They actually sent me a new PT145 through the FFL dealer because they said the original one could not be repaired.

When I opened the box there was a strong odor of oil. The gun was a wet slimy mess...when I turned the gun upside down oil would actually drip out. Right there and then I traded it in on a Glock 19 and never looked back. I've had the G19 for 5 years and over a thousand rounds and NEVER EVER have had one single, FTF, FTE, stovepipe or jam of any kind. Well, that's my tale of Taurus woe. Best of continued luck to those Taurus owners who have had only good experience.
    "I'm not IN danger Skyler, I AM the danger!"

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    My Taurus PT145 is not very reliable and it's basically slated to be traded at a local pawn shop for something else; either a Springfield 1911 or Glock.
    Same for my 2yo PT145....It's just sitting in the safe waiting for me to find it a new home.

Sad also because it's feels and shoots accurately...bad part is it also jams really often.

Send it in, it doesn't cost anything to have them fix it.

Send it in, it doesn't cost anything to have them fix it.
    All it needs is mags that work...

All three that I have for it suffer the dreaded nosedive problem.

Ahh... Sounds like a Kahr. :)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links