Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK

This is a discussion on Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock This thread made me feel that all is still right in the world...... What??? I thought Taurus was still ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    This thread made me feel that all is still right in the world......
    What??? I thought Taurus was still in business.....

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

The PT92 shooting experience

I was considering buying a PT 92 or a Beretta 92A1 M9. I currently own a Sig Sauer P226 and highly recommend it as it is very accurate, has a great feel, and is really fun to shoot. I understand that the PT 92 is made at the old Beretta factory in Brazil so I thought it was just like the Beretta. I would still like to own the Beretta but now am worried that the
    quality might be below the standard of the Sig Sauer and I might be disappointed with it's shooting accuracy. What do you folks think.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Range report on my BRAND NEW, fresh out of box, freshly cleaned and oiled PT92...it's a DUD!

Shot fine for 1 magazine of 147gr Speer Gold Dot. On the 4th round of the second mag (total of 21 shots in), the empty did not eject. Long story short, I could not get the thing back into battery, so I had the gunsmith at the range look at it. He was able to get it back into battery by holding the grip and giving it a tap with the palm of his hand. Then we disassembled it....and guess what? The barrel hood had a CRACK, on the upper portion. The barrel itself, right where it meets the chamber was also CRACKED on the bottom surface. The locking lugs (or whatever they are on a 92) also appeared pitted/damaged. This is unbelievable and unacceptable for a NEW gun!

It's on its way back to Taurus, and the SECOND I get it back, it's goodbye.

Lesson learned: when it comes to firearms, you do indeed get what you pay for....

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    Well, that's just it. That's the secret of Taurus' success. There have been millions of first-time handgun purchasers the last few years and most of those people probably didn't belong to any gun forums and many probably didn't really know anybody with a gun before their purchase. In other words, millions of people go in cold to a handgun purchase every year and there's your Taurus market.

Armorer: Here's a Sig Sauer P226 for $900.

Customer: Uh ... got anything cheaper?

Armorer: Well, here's a nice Glock G21 for $600.

Customer: Ooh, gosh, that's still a lot.

Armorer: OK, how about a pre-owned Taurus PT92 ... only took one trip to the range, never dropped. $300.

Customer: SOLD!

With apologies to the OP.

guess it serves you right for buying a taurus...

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmHP View Post
    guess it serves you right for buying a taurus...
    I own two Taurus's. One that I have owned since 1992/93 and have fired hundreds of rounds through (including my own reloads) without any problems.

I can understand that there are bad apples in every bunch and I know that normal Manufacturer Quality Control checks generally only test about 13 in every thousand made, there is always a chance of defectives making it out the door.

If you happened to get one, I feel for you.. but it is no reason to bad mouth the whole line. That would be like saying that because Toyota had an accelerator problem with a couple models of its cars. That no one should ever consider buying anything made by Toyota.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Quote Originally Posted by LkWd_Don View Post
    I own two Taurus's. One that I have owned since 1992/93 and have fired hundreds of rounds through (including my own reloads) without any problems.
    20 years old with "hundreds of rounds" shot. That's hardly a raving review. It probably can't take much more of that abuse And, NO, you shouldn't buy anything Toyota
    Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    20 years old with "hundreds of rounds" shot. That's hardly a raving review. It probably can't take much more of that abuse And, NO, you shouldn't buy anything Toyota

I don't make it to the range all that often anymore and can't say with certainty that I have shot thousands through either.. so I say what is true without a doubt.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Quote Originally Posted by LkWd_Don View Post

I can understand that there are bad apples in every bunch and I know that normal Manufacturer Quality Control checks generally only test about 13 in every thousand made, there is always a chance of defectives making it out the door.

If you happened to get one, I feel for you.. but it is no reason to bad mouth the whole line. That would be like saying that because Toyota had an accelerator problem with a couple models of its cars. That no one should ever consider buying anything made by Toyota.
    I have a couple of PT92's and a PT917. They are really good guns. Any Taurus post turns into a mob mentality, and everyone likes to jump on the pile to be one of the gang. Most posters have probably have never fired one. I have a PT92 made in 1987 that I have put several thousand rounds through without a bobble......and I'll put this guy up against a Beretta any day of the week....and have with very good success might I add. 17 year old PT92 Stainless.

If you want to see what actual owners of the current PT92 have to say about theirs, go here:

Taurus PT92 9mm 5" Stainless FS, 17 round $468.00 SHIPS FREE

34 of 39 give it 5 out of 5 Stars.....the other five are ridiculous complaints about shipping time, plastic grips instead of rubber grips....non issues. Bottom line, the gun works even in the current configuration....so all the nay sayers can go pound sand.

BTW, I have a 12 year old Toyota that my daughter took to college. 180,000 miles with only routine maintenance. My Corolla has 80,000 miles and only routine maintenance. Wouldn't drive anything else.
    LkWd_Don and Frodo like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I think the accelerator problem was a hoax

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmHP View Post
    I think the accelerator problem was a hoax
    hoax or not, I told the Toyota salesman to knock 5K off the sticker price before we even started negotiating since that accelerator thingy was on my mind and was also looking at Nissan. Worked.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Just a thought. Why not decide to buy a domestic fire arm first and see if there's anything that fits the bill. If not, then buy foreign. I'm not getting on a high horse, I've got some made "over there". But it might be an interesting exercise. It won't need Customs if it does go back to the factory. There's that. I just don't give a tinkers damn about helping the euro (that was high horse....sorry)
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Sounds like the Kimber Solo may make the 30 rounds and out list. I shot the actual Beretta version and thought it was a pile of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Word on that.

I hate to say it, but buy a real Beretta.
    In 1987, I bought a Beretta 92. I was in (federal) law enforcement at the time. Less than 500 rounds of basic issue Remington 115FMJ later, cracked barrel. Back to the gun store for another one. A little over a thousand rounds later and two stitches above my right eye where the slide fractured and came back at me (thank goodness for eye protection), the Beretta went back.

Problem was, I LIKED the design and feel and balance of the gun. Belay that--I LOVED the design and feel and balance. My gun store guy brought out the Taurus version of the Beretta and I saw the frame mounted safety rather than a slide mounted safety and couldn't wait to play with the gun.

Long story short, I bought the gun, went straight to the office (even on a Saturday) and checked out 500 rounds of practice ammo and put the gun through its paces.

Over the next few years, it was my primary duty sidearm. Never had so much as a hiccup with it. And seeing as how DOJ agencies change issue ammo more often than John Swift Boat Kerry changed his mind and stance on issues, I ended up qualifying with that gun using a variety of ammo that included Nyclads, 147 grain subsonics (useless rounds, by the way), Winchester Silvertips, Glasers, Speer HPs, Remington +P JHPs, etc etc until we finally settled on the +P+ Federal 124 grain HydraShok in 1990.

NEVER had a failure to feed or failure to eject.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I have a PT92 made in 1987 that I have put several thousand rounds through without a bobble..
    At around 70K rounds, I broke the locking mechanism in the barrel assembly. *I* broke it because I was trying to simulate a hot load at the reloading bench, and screwed up. Only thing that happened was the locking assembly fractured. Had it been the/a Beretta, I'm pretty confident I would've been getting more stitches above my right eye again.

I'm an avid and prolific reloader as well as shooter and this Taurus 92 has over 100K rounds through it since 1987. It's ugly because it's seen so much duty wear and abuse, but it is absolutely 100% reliable.

NOW. . . with that said.

I have not bought a new Taurus product since 1990 (a Model 85, which we still have and have not had a lick of trouble with) except for a Judge--of which I am not impressed. It is a survival gun for the Cessna on long cross-country trips over unimproved territory. It came from the factory with a crooked front sight and a lousy finish, horrible trigger, etc. No QC whatsoever.

Another friend, former Marine, bought a Taurus 1911 and spent almost as much money "making it right" as he did buying the gun. Again, zero QC.

I agree with the sentiments of the poster who admonished Taurus for being intent on "coming out with 25 different and new guns every year rather than concentrating on upping the quality of the ones they have right now."

I have not advised anyone to purchase a new Taurus in over a decade. Given their present track record, I see no reason to change.

But, just wanted to set the record straight that not ALL Taurus firearms are junk the way the OP and a few others think they are.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I wonder how many negative cliche responses against Taurus will be made in this thread from people who've never so much as shot one, let alone owned one.

If this were a Glock, SA, Kimber, Beretta, etc, etc, etc the only thing in this thread would be:

'I sent it in, can't wait to get it back.'

'It can happen, they'll make it right!'

But because it's a Taurus the haters will crawl from under the woodwork for this one. I wonder how many were sold by Taurus that never had an issue, and are running strong daily... yet one person makes a post that there's a problem and bam, Taurus is a POS company and everyone jumps on the bash bandwagon.
    I've read the entire thread up to this point, and so far, every single person who is "bashing" Taurus has actually OWNED ONE. Why can't you and others accept that? You always throw out the tired old "but you're only going on hearsay!" line. This is clearly not the case here.

I bought a PT145 a few years ago and it gave me massive trouble. Even the Taurus factory mags that I bought that got it to somewhat run had completely different followers than what the gun shipped with.

So flash forward about two years. I decided that maybe I wasn't being fair to Taurus. After all, anyone can make a lemon, right? So I bought a TCP738 and guess what? The trigger mechanism was broken within the first three mags fired.

That's why it irritates me so much when people say that anyone who trashes Taurus must be going on rumor because it can't possibly be firsthand knowledge.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Wow, I missed this Taurus bashing thread, how did that happen.

Sucks that you got a bad one. Buddy of mine has a PT92 that shoots like a dream and never had any issues out of it.

I have 3 Taurus guns and other than some break in issues with the 738 there are thousands of rounds through them, probably 10k between the three and never had any trouble.

Would I recommend a Taurus, well that depends. What makes them less desireable lately is that there is an ever shrinking gap between the price of Taurus and other guns in the past couple of years. I do think that much of their grief comes from trying too much new stuff. If you look at other manufacturers most of their issues come from new designs.

I have no trouble relying on the Taurus guns that I have just as easily as I do my Glock, XD, S&W, Kahr, Ruger, Keltec, Beretta, or Dan Wesson guns. Others may have different experiences, that is their call.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links