Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK - Page 5

Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK

This is a discussion on Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry to read the rants. I have a PT-99 from the late 80's and it works just fine. A bit big for CCW but I ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK

Sorry to read the rants. I have a PT-99 from the late 80's and it works just fine. A bit big for CCW but I like it enough I had an IWB holster custom made.

Jim

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    i have a blued judge with the 6 inch barrel. i have managed to kill a few quail (on the wing!!) with it. a pure stunt.
    how good is the quality? okay. not bad, not great. ripples in the bluing. the trigger is gritty and way too heavy in double action. of course, lots of smiths have too heavy triggers also. my opinion- mid grade quality. not the cheapest, but definitely not class A. would i use one for carry? that is purely an issue of the particular gun, just like any other brand.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

It ROCKS!!!

I have a PT 92 ASF and have had it for over 15 years and I have put 5k rounds through it and it still rocks. I canít tell you what the new ones are made like but the old ones are epic. Sorry your **** sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Range report on my BRAND NEW, fresh out of box, freshly cleaned and oiled PT92...it's a DUD!

Shot fine for 1 magazine of 147gr Speer Gold Dot. On the 4th round of the second mag (total of 21 shots in), the empty did not eject. Long story short, I could not get the thing back into battery, so I had the gunsmith at the range look at it. He was able to get it back into battery by holding the grip and giving it a tap with the palm of his hand. Then we disassembled it....and guess what? The barrel hood had a CRACK, on the upper portion. The barrel itself, right where it meets the chamber was also CRACKED on the bottom surface. The locking lugs (or whatever they are on a 92) also appeared pitted/damaged. This is unbelievable and unacceptable for a NEW gun!

It's on its way back to Taurus, and the SECOND I get it back, it's goodbye.

Lesson learned: when it comes to firearms, you do indeed get what you pay for....

I'm 42 now and have owned a Taurus PT-92AF since I was 21, (first pistol) still have it today and have no problems carrying it and my defense weapon. I've never had this gun fail and has always been super accurate. I love mine. I often carry a Sig p229 or Glock 22,27. But I don't hesitate to pickup the Taurus either.

Doesnt take much to get me to dump a semi auto for ED carry no matter what it is if it doesnt feed eject etc everytime period. I can deal with a bad mag issue but other than that about 3 failures due to the pistol itself not ammo or mag and its history.
    That said I use a Taurus pt 945 and a Taurus pt 840 that has the plastic grips with no qualms.

Either will eat up any ammo Hp or ball that I feed em with nary a hiccup. Owned Glocks Rugers smiths kel tech and the only guns I can say Ive never had a failure with in pistols is Taurus. Not even a mag related one.
    Glocks are fine weapons but I dont like the feel of em. Love Rugers just dont happen to have one right now though either an SR9c or SR40 is on the list as the next buy in a couple of months.
    Ive read all the horror stories about Taurus but I know a lot of guys that have em with 0 problems.

New Member Array okietwisterdan's Avatar

Read the manual?

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Range report on my BRAND NEW, fresh out of box, freshly cleaned and oiled PT92...it's a DUD!

Shot fine for 1 magazine of 147gr Speer Gold Dot. On the 4th round of the second mag (total of 21 shots in), the empty did not eject. Long story short, I could not get the thing back into battery, so I had the gunsmith at the range look at it. He was able to get it back into battery by holding the grip and giving it a tap with the palm of his hand. Then we disassembled it....and guess what? The barrel hood had a CRACK, on the upper portion. The barrel itself, right where it meets the chamber was also CRACKED on the bottom surface. The locking lugs (or whatever they are on a 92) also appeared pitted/damaged. This is unbelievable and unacceptable for a NEW gun!

It's on its way back to Taurus, and the SECOND I get it back, it's goodbye.

Lesson learned: when it comes to firearms, you do indeed get what you pay for....
    Nobody has pointed out the obvious...If this is the same 2012 Taurus PT92 that I have, then you apparently did not read and/or follow the manual. The
    manual says on page 9, "Taurus pistols were designed to use cartridges loaded to the limits shown below." At this point the manual gives a list of calibers,
    bullet weights, and velocities. The 9mmPARA is only designed to take 124 GR FMJ at 1225 FPS. You used 147gr Speer Gold Dot. The manual also says,
    "Because of the widely differing specifications of such other ammunition, Taurus cannot be responsible for malfunctions resulting from its use."

I am not saying that this is exactly what caused the problem stated, but manuals are made for a reason, and when you spend good money on anything,
    reading and following the manual seems like a good idea to me. According to the manual, you could possibly be responsible for this malfunction and crack and Taurus should not have to pay for your ignorance.
    franco45 and cobrajocky like this.

I would not ever, never, buy another Taurus pistol. The revolvers I've shot have been OK, but their auto's are just pure junk. OP should have spent the extra on a used/new Beretta. Lesson learned.
    Lifetime NRA member

My Glock had to go back twice. Bad times with Beretta too.

Glock 17 bought new in 1990 would not fire. Came back from Georgia and after 20 rounds became fully auto. Thought the boys in Georgia were doing me a favor or a funny since I was military at the time. Kept for 20 years after that with little use and no problems.

Saw the damage at range the cracked slide problems of the M9 can cause. Pulverized someones face.

My Beretta Tomcat had a cracked frame. Sent it back and later sold.

Things that run on explosions fail.

Some are better than others.
    cobrajocky likes this.

Sorry for all the bad experiences some have had with Taurus. I have a 605 .357 stainless snubby, a Judge Poly, a PT92 (and I used to have a PT845). All have been great firearms. Love to shoot the snubby. I have other brands as well and like them too.

If you get a bad gun, get it repaired or sell it. If it works great, enjoy it.

Let the gun snobbery end.
    cobrajocky likes this.

Taurus revolvers seem to be fairly decent, the Judge and the Raging Bull in particular. I made the mistake of wasting my money on one of their semi autos which is now on it's third visit to Miami. My girlfriend has/had one that has made two trips and now resides in my safe, when mine comes back from "repair" it will join it. I tried to sell mine, the the resale potential was pathetic. The latest stunt they pulled was trying to get me to pay $60 to have it shipped back to them, fortunately Academy Sports took care of that. Taurus has some good design concepts, but they cannot seem to produce them in an effective and reliable form for the retail market.

Bottom line: The detractors are right, don't but a Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Just a thought. Why not decide to buy a domestic fire arm first and see if there's anything that fits the bill. If not, then buy foreign. I'm not getting on a high horse, I've got some made "over there". But it might be an interesting exercise. It won't need Customs if it does go back to the factory. There's that. I just don't give a tinkers damn about helping the euro (that was high horse....sorry)
    Just a thought over there is actually down there they came from Brazil South America not Europe. Also they (Taurus) now have manufacturing in the US so your gun does stay in the US if it needs repaired. Just saying.
    cobrajocky likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links