Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK

This is a discussion on Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Range report on my BRAND NEW, fresh out of box, freshly cleaned and oiled PT92...it's a DUD! Shot fine for 1 magazine of 147gr Speer ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK

Angry Taurus PT92 = PIECE OF JUNK

Range report on my BRAND NEW, fresh out of box, freshly cleaned and oiled PT92...it's a DUD!

Shot fine for 1 magazine of 147gr Speer Gold Dot. On the 4th round of the second mag (total of 21 shots in), the empty did not eject. Long story short, I could not get the thing back into battery, so I had the gunsmith at the range look at it. He was able to get it back into battery by holding the grip and giving it a tap with the palm of his hand. Then we disassembled it....and guess what? The barrel hood had a CRACK, on the upper portion. The barrel itself, right where it meets the chamber was also CRACKED on the bottom surface. The locking lugs (or whatever they are on a 92) also appeared pitted/damaged. This is unbelievable and unacceptable for a NEW gun!

It's on its way back to Taurus, and the SECOND I get it back, it's goodbye.

Lesson learned: when it comes to firearms, you do indeed get what you pay for....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Range report on my BRAND NEW, fresh out of box, freshly cleaned and oiled PT92...it's a DUD!

Shot fine for 1 magazine of 147gr Speer Gold Dot. On the 4th round of the second mag (total of 21 shots in), the empty did not eject. Long story short, I could not get the thing back into battery, so I had the gunsmith at the range look at it. He was able to get it back into battery by holding the grip and giving it a tap with the palm of his hand. Then we disassembled it....and guess what? The barrel hood had a CRACK, on the upper portion. The barrel itself, right where it meets the chamber was also CRACKED on the bottom surface. The locking lugs (or whatever they are on a 92) also appeared pitted/damaged. This is unbelievable and unacceptable for a NEW gun!

It's on its way back to Taurus, and the SECOND I get it back, it's goodbye.

Lesson learned: when it comes to firearms, you do indeed get what you pay for....
    Is it a 9mm? And, exactly how much do you hate it?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Is it a 9mm? And, exactly how much do you hate it?
    Obviously it's a 9mm...hence the 92 model. In case you're not aware of what a 92-type pistol is, you might want to check this out Taurus PT92 (Beretta 92 clone).

Just trying to help people avoid buying a crappy weapon. But thanks for your absolutely AWESOME post....not.

Obviously it's a 9mm...hence the 92....and wow, what a GREAT reply! Thank you SO much!
    That seems like a really heavy 9mm round, that's why I asked. I asked how much you hate it as a preface to asking how much you were planning to sell it for. Not to be 'smart'.
    Taurahe likes this.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Ah ok, well, I publicly apologize then. My mistake.

Yes, I prefer heavy for caliber rounds just due to the added extra mass of the projectile. And probably sell it for $350 (new is $450).
    Taurahe likes this.

My wife's PT92 shoots about 8" low at 7 yards. It was my second Taurus. Both were pos. The first was a revolver with a timing issue. Both were brand new. I'll eventually send it back but for now it's a safe queen. Never again Kel-Tec or Taurus for me.
    mano3 likes this.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Obviously it's a 9mm...hence the 92 model. In case you're not aware of what a 92-type pistol is, you might want to check this out Taurus PT92 (Beretta 92 clone).

Just trying to help people avoid buying a crappy weapon. But thanks for your absolutely AWESOME post....not.
    I'm fairly familiar with them- the Beretta 92 (or maybe Taurus) is the only 9mm I would consider 'sufficient'.

I've owned the PT99, and have three PT92's. They have all been perfect. All were purchased before Taurus decided to make a gazillion new polymer models and when the PT92 series was Taurus' bread and butter gun.

Sounds like you got a complete QC screw up by Taurus, and with all the new guns that issue every year, its not surprising. I looked at their catalog and they have so many different new models I don't know how they can keep the QC in line.

Advice to Taurus: Quit coming out with 25 new guns every year and get the ones already being produced RIGHT.
    Your business model is completely doomed for failure. All it takes is word of mouth and NO ONE WILL BUY YOUR CRAP GUNS NO MATTER WHAT PRICE POINT.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

sgb
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Wait... a Taurus is a raging POS? What is the world coming to.

My PT 92 is the gun I give all my crappy 9mm to and, it eats it. That said, you got a bad one and need to have it replaced. Unfortunately, Taurus CS leaves a lot to be desired. Having said that, my PT92 is one of the few handguns I bought and out of the box, it operated without a hitch.
    I will never sell it. It ranks up there with my CZ75.....believe it or not.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Kel-Tec & Tarus (and the like) do seem attractive when you're on a budget, but you're SO much better off just being patient and saving for a Glock
    10thmtn, JD, Vaquero 45 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    Word on that.

I hate to say it, but buy a real Beretta.

If it wasn't for this forum I probably would have purchased a Taurus product for a range toy. Thanks DC!

Yep, lesson learned, the hard way.
    Once the gun is sold, I'll probably replace it with an M&P9mm full-size

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links