Current LC9 Review from a layman!

This is a discussion on Current LC9 Review from a layman! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, there are enough fragmented threads out here with various reports from many guns so I thought I would provide my personal experience regarding my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Current LC9 Review from a layman!

Well, there are enough fragmented threads out here with various reports from many guns so I thought I would provide my personal experience regarding my LC9s. I have two LC9s. The first one I have had for approx. 1 1/2 years and have approx. 900 rounds through it without any malfunctions and it is my primary carry weapon. I bought a second LC9 yesterday, took it home and cleaned it. I then put the following rounds through the gun:
    152 Rds. of 115 Gr. target ammo.
    100 Rds. of Federal Am. Eagle 124 Gr. target ammo.
    25 Rds. of Remington Golden Saber 115 Gr. target ammo.
    100 additional Rds. of Winchester 115 Gr. target ammo.
    76 Rds. of Remington UMC 115 Gr. target ammo.
    As I was going for 500 rounds before I cleaned the gun, I was rained out with a total number of 453 Rds. with no malfunctions and no cleaning in between rounds. As far as accuracy, I was shooting at a couple soda cans and a 16oz. soda bottle at 10-18 yards (roughly as this was to break in the gun, not for points) and I was continiously hitting them strong-hand, weak-hand and both-hands. I also practiced several double-taps, a few triple-taps and several limp-wrist shots ATTEMPTING to cause a malfunction (I couldn't). I didn't realize I was shooting from as far as I was until I paced it out but it was easily 18 yrds on the longest shoot. The accuracy was what I expected. My original LC9 shoots very well. Any failures in the "accuracy" department was definitely on my part! As far as negatives for the new LC9, the only thing that DID fail during one of my sets, was the slide stop failed to catch open after the last round was shot. The negatives regarding the gun are the long trigger travel which I am used to and, given that it is a CCW and often times (as one person's terminology), my guns are pointing at my "junk" (or other parts of my body) and that and the safety are definitely a plus to me. The safety, when new, is soooooo hard to put back on, that I had to cock my gun a little to the left to get in a better position to put it back on safety without ripping the skin off my thumb. This gets very much easier after shooting the gun a few times. (I have put the above rounds though it without cleaning and I can already put the safety back on without changing the position of the gun).
    Other than that, the gun performed flawlessly.
    I have 11 years in law enforcement and have carried Glocks, Sigs, S&Ws and Colts for either primary duty guns or back-up or off-duty guns and my expectation is extremely high (as with most folks) and the LC9 is at the quality of the others and is even better as far as being smaller and lighter and much easier to conceal than most of my previous guns. I highly recommend the LC9 (and for the few places that the LC9 might be a little big, my secondary gun is the LCP).
    Hope you enjoy this layman's review!
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

Nice review. My LC9 was very reliable but I just couldn't master the trigger pull enough to feel confident as my everyday carry. Once I felt the M&P Shield, I knew it would replace my LC9 as my EDC. Great little gun, but not for everyone.
    BurgerBoy and Lish like this.

Great review. Love mine (edc) as well. The trigger like any aspect of every gun is something one trains to master. Thanks for the thoughtful review. Makes me want to go try to make mine malfunction, as it hasn't yet!
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Nice review!

Minor quibble - with 11 years as a LEO, you are not a layman.

Bark'n, helderberg and sensei2 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Nice review!

Minor quibble - with 11 years as a LEO, you are not a layman.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks for the insightful review.
    Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks for the insightful review.
    Frank.
    Appreciate the words guys!
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Great review. Love mine (edc) as well. The trigger like any aspect of every gun is something one trains to master. Thanks for the thoughtful review. Makes me want to go try to make mine malfunction, as it hasn't yet!
    General question to everyone with the LC9s, how many rounds do your guys have on your LC9s and how are they shooting?

Thanks for taking time to write and share this review!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

A question for you LC9 experts.....

Is the LC9 easily carryable in the pocket? Please, be honest here in your assessment..... I have a Glock 26 that I can pocket carry with a flush 10 round magazine, but I don't due to the weight. I would like a pocket 9mm for a backup, but most I've seen are too large for that. Honestly, if I have to carry it iwb anyway, I might as well carry my EDC which is a Glock 30.

Nice review. Funny, I'm at around 500 and doing my first cleaning tonight. 0 issues thus far.

Far from expert, but I've been front pocket carrying everyday for the last 3 weeks with a pocket holster (while I wait for my IWBH) . I have to make sure my belt is a little snugger than normal and it looks like a thick wallet, but it's definitely doable and a valid option.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

I would consider the Glock 26 an "almost" pocket carry gun. The LC9 is going to fit easier and be lighter as well. Although I carry my LCP most often, I also have a pocket holster for my LC9 and carry that as well. For reference, I'm about 140 lbs. and 5' 9".
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brianalisa View Post
    General question to everyone with the LC9s, how many rounds do your guys have on your LC9s and how are they shooting?
    I have around 400-500 rounds through it. Only issue I ever had was my finger getting stuck between the trigger and the trigger guard from a bad hold.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    A question for you LC9 experts.....

Is the LC9 easily carryable in the pocket? Please, be honest here in your assessment..... I have a Glock 26 that I can pocket carry with a flush 10 round magazine, but I don't due to the weight. I would like a pocket 9mm for a backup, but most I've seen are too large for that. Honestly, if I have to carry it iwb anyway, I might as well carry my EDC which is a Glock 30.
    I am biased as I do not like to pocket carry. I pocket carry a 442 in an uncle mikes pocket holster as my BUG, it works, but it is not my preferred method. I loathe the lc9 for pocket carry and one issue may be the pinky extension I have on it. It is light enough, but I am a big guy and there is not tons of room in my pockets. I dont like how long it is. IDK how you guys carry glocks even compacts in your pocket. Im jealous!
    BigJon

Thanks for your review. I just purchased my LC9 about three weeks ago and now have 230 rounds with no issues what so ever. I have a CW9 and bought the LC9 as I thought it would be easier to pocket carry and it is. I almost passed up the LC9 because of some negative reviews. The gun has been great and yes the trigger is longer but easy to get use to. The safety is there but you don't have to use it and I like the loaded chamber indicator.

My son has the sr9c and I actually like shooting it better than the LC9 but it just doesn't carry as well for me.This will be my next purchase.

good review. I really like my LC9 too
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links