Defensive Carry banner

Current LC9 Review from a layman!

7K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  BigCityChief 
#1 ·
Well, there are enough fragmented threads out here with various reports from many guns so I thought I would provide my personal experience regarding my LC9s. I have two LC9s. The first one I have had for approx. 1 1/2 years and have approx. 900 rounds through it without any malfunctions and it is my primary carry weapon. I bought a second LC9 yesterday, took it home and cleaned it. I then put the following rounds through the gun:
152 Rds. of 115 Gr. target ammo.
100 Rds. of Federal Am. Eagle 124 Gr. target ammo.
25 Rds. of Remington Golden Saber 115 Gr. target ammo.
100 additional Rds. of Winchester 115 Gr. target ammo.
76 Rds. of Remington UMC 115 Gr. target ammo.
As I was going for 500 rounds before I cleaned the gun, I was rained out with a total number of 453 Rds. with no malfunctions and no cleaning in between rounds. As far as accuracy, I was shooting at a couple soda cans and a 16oz. soda bottle at 10-18 yards (roughly as this was to break in the gun, not for points) and I was continiously hitting them strong-hand, weak-hand and both-hands. I also practiced several double-taps, a few triple-taps and several limp-wrist shots ATTEMPTING to cause a malfunction (I couldn't). I didn't realize I was shooting from as far as I was until I paced it out but it was easily 18 yrds on the longest shoot. The accuracy was what I expected. My original LC9 shoots very well. Any failures in the "accuracy" department was definitely on my part!:frown: As far as negatives for the new LC9, the only thing that DID fail during one of my sets, was the slide stop failed to catch open after the last round was shot. The negatives regarding the gun are the long trigger travel which I am used to and, given that it is a CCW and often times (as one person's terminology), my guns are pointing at my "junk" (or other parts of my body) and that and the safety are definitely a plus to me. The safety, when new, is soooooo hard to put back on, that I had to cock my gun a little to the left to get in a better position to put it back on safety without ripping the skin off my thumb. This gets very much easier after shooting the gun a few times. (I have put the above rounds though it without cleaning and I can already put the safety back on without changing the position of the gun).
Other than that, the gun performed flawlessly.
I have 11 years in law enforcement and have carried Glocks, Sigs, S&Ws and Colts for either primary duty guns or back-up or off-duty guns and my expectation is extremely high (as with most folks) and the LC9 is at the quality of the others and is even better as far as being smaller and lighter and much easier to conceal than most of my previous guns. I highly recommend the LC9 (and for the few places that the LC9 might be a little big, my secondary gun is the LCP).
Hope you enjoy this layman's review!

See less See more
#3 ·
Great review. Love mine (edc) as well. The trigger like any aspect of every gun is something one trains to master. Thanks for the thoughtful review. Makes me want to go try to make mine malfunction, as it hasn't yet!

Reactions: BurgerBoy
#7 ·
General question to everyone with the LC9s, how many rounds do your guys have on your LC9s and how are they shooting?

#9 ·
A question for you LC9 experts.....

Is the LC9 easily carryable in the pocket? Please, be honest here in your assessment..... I have a Glock 26 that I can pocket carry with a flush 10 round magazine, but I don't due to the weight. I would like a pocket 9mm for a backup, but most I've seen are too large for that. Honestly, if I have to carry it iwb anyway, I might as well carry my EDC which is a Glock 30.

#13 ·
I am biased as I do not like to pocket carry. I pocket carry a 442 in an uncle mikes pocket holster as my BUG, it works, but it is not my preferred method. I loathe the lc9 for pocket carry and one issue may be the pinky extension I have on it. It is light enough, but I am a big guy and there is not tons of room in my pockets. I dont like how long it is. IDK how you guys carry glocks even compacts in your pocket. Im jealous!

#10 ·
Nice review. Funny, I'm at around 500 and doing my first cleaning tonight. 0 issues thus far.

Far from expert, but I've been front pocket carrying everyday for the last 3 weeks with a pocket holster (while I wait for my IWBH) . I have to make sure my belt is a little snugger than normal and it looks like a thick wallet, but it's definitely doable and a valid option.

#14 ·
Thanks for your review. I just purchased my LC9 about three weeks ago and now have 230 rounds with no issues what so ever. I have a CW9 and bought the LC9 as I thought it would be easier to pocket carry and it is. I almost passed up the LC9 because of some negative reviews. The gun has been great and yes the trigger is longer but easy to get use to. The safety is there but you don't have to use it and I like the loaded chamber indicator.

My son has the sr9c and I actually like shooting it better than the LC9 but it just doesn't carry as well for me.This will be my next purchase.

#16 ·
I would consider the Glock 26 an "almost" pocket carry gun. The LC9 is going to fit easier and be lighter as well. Although I carry my LCP most often, I also have a pocket holster for my LC9 and carry that as well. For reference, I'm about 140 lbs. and 5' 9".
I began my journey with handguns in April 2010. While searching for an EDC carry I really liked the LC9 and the SRC9. Because of its reputation and being able to purchase from a deler that discounts to LEO/Military, I chose a Gen 4 G 19. This April, I purchased a G 36 and a Colt 1911. I have no regrets on any gun that I have purchased.

I want to add a smaller 9 for carrying and have been going between the G 26 and the LC9. My senses is the LC9 is easier to conceal than the G 26 so I'm starting to get the itch :image035: to get an LC9.

#17 ·
The LC9 will be easier to carry than the G26 --It's thinner and lighter. Coming from a Glock you may not like the longer trigger pull. It is not a issue for me but my son went with the SR9C because he just didn't like the long trigger pull on the LC9. He has bigger hands than I do so it just wasn't for him( I am 6'1" and he is 6'6"). You may want to rent one or get a buddies if you can. I also like the trigger on my Kahr CW9 better than the Ruger LC9.

#19 ·
Highfive and Rammer (and everyone else!), you are welcome! Thank you for the added input. It is always nice to hear others' experience!
For an update, I finally was able to run another 72 rounds (give or take) through my LC9 (still had not cleaned it! for a total number of approx. 523 rounds (give or take 2 rounds) and I ran another 100 rounds through my original LC9 for a total of 900+ rounds (sorry, I originally reported that I had run 900 rounds through it and it was actually 800 rounds!) Regarding the first LC9, I was looking through my past notes and, though I reported not having ANY malfunctions or misfires, I did have one. It was 20yr. old target ammo. and it was at the end of approx. 350 rounds fired without cleaning. So, now that it has 900 rounds through it, 95% of it being cheap target ammo., I have only had that one misfire (it was either a FTF or a FTE-can't remember right now).
On my 2nd LC9 (my new one), I just completed running approx. 523 rounds through that included 3 different types of target ammo. and 2 types of defensive ammo. and no malfunctions (other than the slide not catching after emptying one magazine of rounds).
Exceptional at any level! Hope eveybody else does as well with their LC9s! Great job Ruger!!:congrats:

Reactions: BurgerBoy
#22 ·
I'm sorry to resurrect this old thread but I'm happy to have found it. I just picked up my LC9 Monday but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I was looking at other options (Nano, Shield, ect..) but stuck with Ruger. Now I'm glad I did since I already an LCP and P95. Thanks for this review.

#23 ·
Thanks for the review. I have been considering buying one of these and I think you may have convinced me. I'm waiting for my CCL to come in the mail and I have been experimenting with different holsters and carry positions and I have come to the realization that my full size Beretta is just too big and heavy to conceal effectively in warm weather attire (summer lasts 9 months here). Now I just have to start stalking the delivery trucks at all the sporting goods stores and hope to get lucky on finding one in stock.

#24 ·
Great review ! I have been looking for a replacement for my Kahr cm9 and have been really looking at the LC9 pretty hard, since it will complement my Ruger SR40C very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.