Smith Shield 9mm Maiden Voyage

This is a discussion on Smith Shield 9mm Maiden Voyage within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, a few weeks back I got a Smith Shield in 9mm. Between my work travel schedule and personal obligations, I finally got it to ...

Thread: Smith Shield 9mm Maiden Voyage

VIP Member

Smith Shield 9mm Maiden Voyage

Well, a few weeks back I got a Smith Shield in 9mm. Between my work travel schedule and personal obligations, I finally got it to the range this weekend. I thought I would give y'all my impressions.

The gun is small for my hands. My hands best fit a G21 full size frame and that feels like a glove. The mission profile for the Shield is to go where my G30 is just too big to go, but I don't have to take only a LCP. I think this weapon will fill that bill. I am getting a MTAC for it that should arrive this week.

Overall Impression - I recommend this weapon to anybody considering a "single stack" 9mm. The quality of production is high with this weapon and it feels like a little service grade weapon. I was very impressed with the gun with both the 7 & 8 round mags in it. I thought I would not like the 7 rounder, but I had zero issues with it and could control the weapon just fine with it. I do, however, prefer the 8 round mag for the range. The weapon shot very good groups and attenuates the recoil well. It is very easy to get back on target quickly. I also like the trigger and the trigger reset. The weapon is small enough to hide easily, but big enough to shoot well. I put 200 rounds of target and 25 rounds of SD ammo down range with no problems in my hour session. I also put about 100 rounds of .22LR down range from my 10/22TD during that same hour.

Issues - None gun related. I did, however, think I had a problem with the slide not locking back on an empty mag. It was doing this about half the time with either mag. After about 150 rounds, I decided to run a test and loaded 2 rounds in each mag and shot 1-handed. I shot 50 rounds this way and had zero issues. So, I will have to look at how I grip the weapon as my thumbs are clearly resting on the slide release. Even if I cannot "fix" this issue, I am very pleased with the weapon for its mission profile. Shooting little guns with G21 hands will occassionally cause issues. At least with the Shield, my thumbs don't go farther forward than the muzzle as with my LCP.

NOTE - This is not a true single stack weapon. Its mags are not as wide as a double stack, but they are wider than a true single stack. This allows for an additional round in the stack at the expense of a bit of width. Not sure how this impacts the overall width of the weapon.
    Last edited by ksholder; May 6th, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Thanks for the review. I have read many good reviews on this weapon, and once they become more available I'm thinking of picking one up.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    Thanks for the review. Is there anything unique this particular model possesses that makes it a must-buy pistol?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Thanks for the review. Is there anything unique this particular model possesses that makes it a must-buy pistol?
    Yeah, It's an M&P.

For the record, mine is awesome.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Mine is too. Sold my Kahr today - The Shield is my new carry gun :)

ksholder - I took mine to the range for the first time today. I only put 50 rounds through it but I did not have any issues with the slide locking back on an empty mag. It seemed like maybe I didn't properly seat the mag or chamber a round once or maybe it was twice because the trigger pull felt weird. But maybe that's because I'm a gun noob! I just reloaded it, re-racked it, and fired away.

Is your slide release extremely hard to use with just your thumb once you put a mag in? I'm having to rack the slide by hand instead of just use the quick release (pardon my perhaps bad terminology).

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Mine is too. Sold my Kahr today - The Shield is my new carry gun :)
    Sold my Kahr's as well, but for the XDs - Shield hit the market and replaced my MK9 and PM9.

No regrets, it's a fine shooter and great carry piece.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It has by far the best trigger and trigger reset in the small single stack 9mm class. If you are looking for a gun in this class, I would absolutely give the Shield a look.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3ak View Post
    ksholder - I took mine to the range for the first time today. I only put 50 rounds through it but I did not have any issues with the slide locking back on an empty mag. It seemed like maybe I didn't properly seat the mag or chamber a round once or maybe it was twice because the trigger pull felt weird. But maybe that's because I'm a gun noob! I just reloaded it, re-racked it, and fired away.

Is your slide release extremely hard to use with just your thumb once you put a mag in? I'm having to rack the slide by hand instead of just use the quick release (pardon my perhaps bad terminology).
    Glad you like your Shield. As far as dropping the slide to seat a round, I always pull back on the slide firmly til my hand pulls off the slide. I find this to be more reliable than using the slide release.

I like my Glock 26, but I've got a Shield on order.. Looking forward to getting it.

i`m on a couple of lists to purchase the 40 cal. shield. but they just don`t seem to be in the gun stores yet.

Links