Oh Crap! I shot a Glock...

This is a discussion on Oh Crap! I shot a Glock... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; and I liked it... Although I can't really stand her, I have the Katy Perry tune "I Kissed a Girl" in my head, but it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oh Crap! I shot a Glock...

Oh Crap! I shot a Glock...

and I liked it...

Although I can't really stand her, I have the Katy Perry tune "I Kissed a Girl" in my head, but it is being sung as:

"I shot a Glock and I liked it!"

Seriously, I have handled them many times, and just didnt like the feel in my hand, or even the way it seemed to naturally point when I lifted and extended to target. I went to the range with my wife to get in a bit of practice, and also look at some potential carry guns for her. I have been carrying my Walther PPS 9mm now since I got my license in Mid Feb. I really like the gun, and shoot very well with it. However I constantly think about the compromise of size (it is pretty darned thin) vs capacity. I carry it 7+1, and carry the spare 8rd magazine with me.

So, we handled a bunch of guns, and were deciding between trying a Glock vs the Springfield XD. The Springfield was a full-size 5.25" barrel model though, and I didnt think that would give her a great idea of what the (sub)compact models would actually feel like other than maybe the trigger. After handling the Glock 19 vs the 26, and neither of us liking the 2 handed grip of the stubby 26, and realizing the 19 was really not remarkably bigger in the grip than my Walther, we rented the 19 Gen 4. I don't know what backstrap it had on it, but it felt pretty decent in the hand.

I have about 500 rounds thru my PPS now. I shot both guns back to back with either Federal 115gr FMJ or Sellier and Bellot 115gr FMJ. I was marginally more accurate with the PPS at 7 yards - would need a ruler to measure the group size difference. I felt like (didn't time it) my follow up shots were faster with the Glock when shooting quickly. At 7 yards I was able to empty the magazine at an 8" target semi-point shooting with follow ups as fast as I could feel I was back on target and pointing in the right direction. All rounds within the 8" circle, and the majority in a 4-5" group.

I did essentially the same thing with the PPS, but again felt like my follow up shots were spaced out a bit more, and obviously required a reload to put the same number of rounds downrange.

At 10 yards, I was slightly more accurate with the Glock in semi-slow fire. Not a huge difference with either. I did not go out further. Consider it was the first time with the glock in my hands, I do think I could improve with it. I will however say that I actually prefer the PPS mag release, as I can do it one-handed without shifting my grip. Something I cannot do, at least not yet, with the Glock.

I was surprised. I havent given it a chance before, and frankly didn't really WANT to like it. But I find myself thinking damn, it would be nice to have 31 rounds of capacity with a spare mag vs my current 16. I am not certain about the weight difference when carrying, but I think with a good belt and the hybrid style holster I have been using it would not be a problem. The grip length on the Glock is only marginally longer than the PPS with the 7rd mag, and actually I think a tiny bit shorter than with the 8. It is about 3/4" or so longer in the barrel, which I consider a non-issue. While when I started carrying I would have thought that the width would be a big factor, in my normal Gulf Coast of FL daily attire (cargo shorts, and an oversized untucked Tee, Polo, or square tailed button down when I am "dressy", I think it would conceal very easily.

And frankly, when I am dressed up or tucked, I am at the point where I feel I really need a small "pocket gun" anyway, since the PPS is just a bit too much for that mode if I really don't want to have risk of printing or being dimed out.

My wife still prefers the PPS after shooting both. She is considering possibly having me give her the PPS, and me buying a Glock (am I really saying this?), but she also wants something with more capacity. She just hasn't been "wowed" by anything we have tried yet, and she wants to be "wowed". She has tried the PPS, SR9C, and the 19 now, and still prefers the PPS by a decent margin. She still would like to try an XD(M), and maybe an M+Pc, but hard to try them all before making a decision.

Of course in a perfect world, I would just buy myself a 19, and keep my PPS for when I "need" it too...

But priority is adding one gun so my wife has something she is comfortable carrying.

Ugh!

2. Remove Ads

I tried to hate Glocks. (Plastic, blocky, lack of manual safety, grip angle, etc.)

It didn't work.

If I weren't in the middle of a "revolver phase" right now, I'd grab a G26.

I currently have a 3rd Generation G19 and G21. The 21 is a little big for me (although I LOVE the idea of 13+1 of .45 acp), but I wouldn't trade the 19 for anything.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've shot lots of Glocks. 3-4 9mms (full size, compact, sub), and the sub .45ACP, and they're great. Incredibly accurate, smooth trigger, decent capacity, and feel good in my hand. But, only when shooting- handling one (shopping/inspecting) they feel terrible; bulky, unbalanced, etc.

While I would love to have a gun as reliable (that isn't a revolver or 1911 ), I just can't get past the unbelievable, unnecessary, unlimited amount of UGLY that comes with it.

Only thing worse is the XD series- looks like a Glock slide on an M&P frame. Take a close look at one next time- you'll see it too.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

So.....do we need to give you time to clean up your mess now? You sound overly excited. "Crap" was one of the first words spoken.........I hope that you haven't wet yourself as well at this point. I still think that cleaning guns sure beats cleaning one's shorts at the end of the day.
    Ask the guys at Front Sight what they think the best pistol is for self defense. Nobody "wants" a Glock, but everyone 'needs' a Glock. Always listen to your wife when it concerns her self protection. Priorities must be kept in line.
    Any time you're up in this part of the country, you can be my guest at local Steel Challenge (only once a month now) with your G19. I'll even load your mags between stages, but I won't change your diapers. LOL. Glock on!

so what flavor was the kool-aid?

As a G19 owner myself I understand what has happened...you've caught the fever and the only cure is to get the G19. I live in central Florida and I carry my G19 OWB in a Don Hume H721 OT leather holster on a Galco 1-1/2 inch reinforced instructors belt. It rides high and tight in the 4:00 position. Whether wearing long pants or any of my shorts and a shirt tail hanging out, it is virtually impossible to tell that I'm carrying.

Good luck and I hope you take the cure.
    "I'm not IN danger Skyler, I AM the danger!"

Lol... I try to get on the Glock hate bandwagon too... but the truth is I can shoot the snot out of them and they're dead nuts reliable. G19 would be my pistol of choice if I could only have one pistol. That being said I have more than one pistol and none of them is a Glock. F-U Glock!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    While I would love to have a gun as reliable (that isn't a revolver or 1911 ), I just can't get past the unbelievable, unnecessary, unlimited amount of UGLY that comes with it.

Only thing worse is the XD series- looks like a Glock slide on an M&P frame. Take a close look at one next time- you'll see it too.
    I don't care about ugly. That is why it is concealed, so as not to "scare" anyone!

On the XD, the thing I am amazed at is that the XD weighs nearly as much empty as the G19 loaded with 15+1 (according to specs)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    So.....do we need to give you time to clean up your mess now? You sound overly excited. "Crap" was one of the first words spoken.........I hope that you haven't wet yourself as well at this point. I still think that cleaning guns sure beats cleaning one's shorts at the end of the day.
    Ask the guys at Front Sight what they think the best pistol is for self defense. Nobody "wants" a Glock, but everyone 'needs' a Glock. Always listen to your wife when it concerns her self protection. Priorities must be kept in line.
    Any time you're up in this part of the country, you can be my guest at local Steel Challenge (only once a month now) with your G19. I'll even load your mags between stages, but I won't change your diapers. LOL. Glock on!
    I am excited, and now quite bent out of shape as well. I was very happy with my PPS until today. But the thought of 2X the capacity is kind of tempting, even if the "need" for that capacity is highly unlikely. My wife is still not sure what she wants, but I am doing my best to facilitate her decision, without trying to influence it. She needs to make up her own mind. The issue is she wants to be "wowed", rather than find something that she likes, and then work at loving it! We don't have too many more options for double stack 9mms though. XD, M+P, maybe P99, and a few others that she has already discounted holding them (Beretta for one).

I would love to do a steel challenge. Watching Hickock45's reviews makes me drool for a place like that to shoot. I may get to Camden AR semi-regularly, but your neck of the woods is quite a ways away! No diapees here!!

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    so what flavor was the kool-aid?
    I think it was kiwi-strawberry.

I really didnt WANT to like it. Honest!!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
    I don't care about ugly. That is why it is concealed, so as not to "scare" anyone!
    Yeah, but think about drawing it.

--Perform the correct draw using the proper steps... About the point where I get fully extended about to pull the trigger is where I would really see what was in my hand is where I would let out some extremely abrasive expletive and throw the gun down. And all because I was 'shocked' yet again by how extremely ugly it is.

...kinda like getting slapped in the face with a rotting skunk carcass...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

It happens, and it sucks. I just got a 19. I hate it. But it shoots. Well. I am not and never will be a Glock fanboy, kool aid drinker, whatever. But I will give credit where it is due. They are hideous, ugly, and feel awful.

But they shoot, accurately and reliably.

Congratulations.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I used to hate the looks and feel of a Glock, but they can quickly grow on you.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the dark side :)

I've tried and tried to like Glocks, but I just can't shoot them near as well as my XD40sc. I currently have a G36, but I rarely if ever carry it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I carry the G19 (Gen 3) as well and really like the gun but have smallish hands on top of being left handed. Had a chance to get an M&P 40 full size cheap and am really liking the grip size on it. Both are similar in size and capacity at 15+1 with the M&P being a bit longer in both length and height. The M&P I have has ambi slide lock, no safety and reversible mag release. The G19 (Gen 3) does not.

Love my Glock but then I don't own a gun I don't like...
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links