What does your Wife or Significant other like to shoot?

This is a discussion on What does your Wife or Significant other like to shoot? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by protek If she really likes semis, don't get her a revolver. They have more recoil, and I certainly did not enjoy shooting ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What does your Wife or Significant other like to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by protek View Post
    If she really likes semis, don't get her a revolver. They have more recoil, and I certainly did not enjoy shooting them. I carry a G26, but I also really like the S&W M&P 9, though it is too big for me to CC. The M&P9c would be a good bet, as would the new M&P Shield (which is a single stack compact 9). I love my G26. If she liked the G19, but it was a little big, the G26 would be a logical choice.
    Protek,

How would rate recoil of the G26 compared to 19?
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It took me close to 13 years to get my wife to the range, and when I finally did she really enjoyed herself. She didn't like shooting my autos, at the time we shot my Sig P226 and P239 (P239 I no longer own), the 239 slung brass back at her which she didn't like. However she really liked shooting my revolvers, especially my model 66. She is slowly becoming a better shot with it than I am. Until recently I always had to load and unload it for her as she wasn't comfortable doing it. With a little tutoring at home using orange faux ammo, she has finally gotten comfortable with loading it herself, and is learning to manipulate the revolver, switching hands and using the extractor rod to empty the cylinder and then reloading. She didn't care much for my j-frames, but liked shooting my Colt Detective Special. Liked shooting my Smith model 27, but felt it was a little on the large size for her.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I have shot many of the hubby's weapons....Mossberg, AR15, a variety of hand guns and rifles. My favorites are mine. SP101 and a raspberry colored LCP. I love the reliability of the SP101, but the power and size of the LCP for carry. Hubby says I will like his new Shield....we will see. Maybe it will be my Christmas present if I like it....then I will have three favorites.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

My wife picked out a gun at the gun show this weekend (she wasn't even planning on getting anything!). Of course she went expensive and picked a Sig P238 (black nitron w/ night sights and laser). She really likes it so far. I shot it too and it's a wonderful little gun, very easy to operate and shoot.

She didn't like the feel of the LCP or the BodyGuard 380.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    After introducing several females (friends and girls I've dated) to shooting, I find the best way to help a female pick out their own gun is to teach them the differences and explain the pro's and con's. I usually start off explaining the pro's and con's of revolvers vs semi's. Then larger guns vs smaller guns. Then single stack vs double stack. Then calibers. Then external/internal safties. The key is to give a fair assessment of both sides of the 'debate' and not let your personal bias get in the way of them making their own decisions. I'll say what my preference is and why, but I don't try to push it on them. The only thing else I'll do after explaining the differences is mention which brands to steer clear of (Sorry Taurus fans) and maybe some models to look at first.

Most prefer my SA-XD9sc or my roommate's G26 as they're big enough not to be too brutal to shoot, but not too heavy or intimidating.

My husband has an XDm40 and I love to shoot with it. I may even be better than he is He had a glock 23 that was fun to shoot, too. I carry a j frame 38 but hate to shoot it, it hurts my hands. I do practice with it at least 1-2x per month, but it is not enjoyable at all.
    lyz_grace likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DoingOK View Post
    My wife has a LCP, but she is not a big fan of shooting it. Her favorite to shoot is the Benelli M4. Go figure.
    I'm not sure anyone actually enjoys SHOOTING the LCP. Ouch. She's just plain cute to keep around

Quote Originally Posted by sp3ak View Post
    My wife picked out a gun at the gun show this weekend (she wasn't even planning on getting anything!). Of course she went expensive and picked a Sig P238 (black nitron w/ night sights and laser). She really likes it so far. I shot it too and it's a wonderful little gun, very easy to operate and shoot.

She didn't like the feel of the LCP or the BodyGuard 380.
    Everyone's getting the P238! *pout* If I ever decided to upgrade to a different .380 that will be it.

I actually shoot more than my husband and he only has his 9mm because it was the first gun I made us buy when we moved into our "'hood." He enjoys shooting, but doesn't carry. Most of the guns we get our hands on are my family's shotguns, a few old revolvers, and a friend's WWII replicas.

VIP Member
    Mrs. Whec doesn't really care for guns, but after perusing my armory, has decided that the SA 1911 is the best shooter (and she can shoot).

Oddly, she didn't care for the Glocks at all, and wanted nothing to do with the mouse guns.

My wife likes her Kahr CW9. She does NOT like my Remington 870.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Wife has Bersa Thunder 380 and loves it! Took pink wood grips off and put rubber finger groove on. She's shot a Ruger sr9c and is ok with it. A Remington 1911, although doesn't care for the recoil. She HATES my smith j frame, even with target wadcutters. Loves the AR15 too! :)

Make sure you let her handle different types and sizes. And if she can test fire that would be a plus. My father went through three handguns before settling on a Bersa for my mother.

Good luck and happy shooting together!

Senior Moderator
    I've been a firearms instructor for about five years (give or take), in gun sales for 2-3 years (give or take) and a woman for my whole life.

Through teaching and selling firearms to women I have found a few trends...

Most women don't like revolvers... no matter how much their husbands/boyfriends/fathers/friends/instructors/clerks/whoever tell them they should. There have been a few gals I have met who do prefer revolvers but it's been rare.

Girls LOVE the cute little guns............ until they go out and shoot them. And then they hate them. And when I say hate, I mean HATE!!!! I've seen more women give up on shooting/training because of the tiny little .380s their husbands buy them than any other reason out there (sans the reasons not to go shooting in the first place).

When left to their own devices, most women choose mid-size 9mms... Glock 19s, Taurus PT 111s, Sigs, Bersas, S&W M&P 9 and 9cs, etc.... Sometimes they will even choose larger firearms like 1911s or HKs, but especially if they are looking for carry guns they almost always stick with mid-size 9s. I've sold more Glock 19s and M&P 9cs to women looking for a gun by themselves then I have to men.

Personally, I carry a Glock 19 and I'm in the process of getting a G26 to carry while my G19 is off being modded with a few upgrades.

Others have said it... let your wife pick her gun. If she likes the G19 the best and can operate it well, why try to push her down another road?

VIP Member
    My wife likes shooting her CZ RAMI 9mm, but truly LOVES her CZ 75 Compact 9mm.

As for your wife, give her choices, but let HER decide what is the right gun for her.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well Said. I'm going to find a G 26 for her and if not It would be good for me. Either way its another gun to have :) She did like the G19 a lot! Maybe I'll just get her one too.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've learned something since I joined here; always listen very closely to limatunes. She's usually one of the people here that make the most sense.

As for my wife, she was torn between the Windicator (.357 snubbie), and the 24/7 Pro (.45ACP, compact) until the Taurus pinched her a little with the girdle for the 'big' magazine. Then she hated it. Last time I got her to the range was her first time with the 1911. She LOVES IT. Even though she doesn't understand it, she tried to steal it from me. I was dumbfounded; her first time with that gun/style of gun, and she keyholed 1/2 the magazine. She couldn't get the Taurus to hit within 1/4 inch of it's previous shot.

She can shoot it like you wouldn't believe, yet when she's holding it (unloaded) she can't seem to pull the trigger properly- she flicks the thumb safety, squeezes the trigger, then applies pressure to the grip safety.

Always let her decide what she wants; just don't let her get a .22lr or a .380- there are too many people that believe those are not lethal rounds. You wouldn't want her to have a gun that can't save her life. Really, because .380s are typically very small/light guns and she'll hate the recoil.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

My full size m&p .45......
    Or should i say hers....

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Attached Images
    accessbob likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links