What does your Wife or Significant other like to shoot?

This is a discussion on What does your Wife or Significant other like to shoot? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the last 6 years my wife's EDC gun has been a Glock 26, carried in a FIST ultra-thin kydex IWB holster. In the past ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What does your Wife or Significant other like to shoot?

For the last 6 years my wife's EDC gun has been a Glock 26, carried in a FIST ultra-thin kydex IWB holster.

In the past (since 1985) she has carried a Sig P228, Sig P230, Colt Ofc's Model, HK P7M8, S&W 3" model 36, S&W model 38, Kahr P9, Kahr T9, and a S&W 3953

She has also owned and shot many more, to include her favorite all time gun a custom Para Ordance P14, a custom S&W 6" 586 with a Bo Mar heavy rib - this was her NRA action shooting gun, a Ruger Security Six, a Beretta 92D, a Colt Commander in 9mm (that never did prove reliable) and a few more that I don't even remember anymore.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

2. Remove Ads

My wife has arthritis and some nerve issues that weaken her hands. She cannot pull the trigger on a DAO revolver and the recoil of even my M&P9C hurts. She likes my Bersa .32 and my old single action .22.

Started my wife out with a s&w sigma .40, and she loves it.

Everything, but I think my wife's favorite is my Armalite M15.

The wife's EDC is a Sig P238, with a Ruger LCR .38 special for a BUG.
    She went through several other guns till she was completely satisfied with the feel and performance of these two.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336879260.818674.jpg

My wife liked a couple 22s I had. A High standard 9shot revolver and a Walther p22. I got rid of the revolver because the timing was off on 2 chambers. The p22 was to small for my hand so it became hers. Then I found a 22/45 for $150! It had a trigger job on it to but the guy stippled it with a dremel so the gun shop gave him a low trade in and sold it to me for the $150. I love this gun. Its no model 41 but I don't mind shooting cheep ammo through it. So I put a red dot on it and do a lot of plinking with it. It hits right where the dot is when it goes bang. My wife tried it and liked it even more than the p22. Now that gun is hers and I bartered off the p22. When I go out of town though she gets my 4" Python with .38spcls and the 22/45 for bu.

Out of we we have she likes the PPS9 best, though I need to get a Limbsaver on it.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Closest I have to a significant other at the moment is a female friend that likes to go with me to the range. She has a pair of Ruger P89s and a Ruger 22/45. She's eyeballing a 10/22 just to keep it in the family haha. She shoots that 22/45 like a woman on a mission.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I love my (my wifes) 22/45. Its the gun I recommend to any person for thier 1st pistol. Teach the fundamentals of pistol shooting with the low recoil and then move up. Women won't have fun if it hurts or they can't hit the target. Once they become proficient with the .22 then move up to something more snappy. I'd never have someone try a little mouse gun for the first time pistol shooting. A .22 is cheep to shoot, easy to shoot, accurate with low recoil making it fun to shoot. If you get her a .38 or a snappy .380 and she spends 15-20 bucks on a box of ammo and only gets 15 hits all over the paper she's not going to be enjoying herself watching you drill the black with it. With the .22 she may do even better than you which is an awesome thing. Wink wink A few intentional flyers go a long ways for her pride.

I can't say how many times I've had friends come over and thier wives never shot a gun before. I pull out the 22/45 and teach them and they out shoot thier macho, I know how to shoot a gun, husbands 90% of the time. It seems the more afraid the women are, the better they shoot because they listen to every detail of sight picture and trigger control. Then after a few slices of humble pie the husbands might try to listen...not all can.

Happy Mama's day to all the moms!

Sig P239 SAS 9mm.

My wife has shot her Ruger Mk II .22 for years. After she got her CCH, she shopped for a long time, and tested lots of handguns, before settling on a Bersa Thunder .380 Concealed Carry. It fits her hand, so she enjoys shooting it, and shoots very well. So we're spending a lot more time together at the range these days.

J_T
    Mine loves her Sig Mosquito. easy and cheap to shoot. Bought her a XD 9 SC but didn't like the feel. worked for me , I now carry it.

I have to chuckle just a little my wife a School Counselor never shot before marrying me now she can do double taps draw from concealed holster while moving backwards and putting rounds into the head or torso of the B27 target. She shoots 357 mag, 9mm, 9mm markorov , 10mm, AR15, 5.7 x 28 FNH she loves shooting and understand the reason for being profecient. It is journey boys.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I can tell you what my girlfriend doesn't like shooting: A Smith and Wesson J-frame (hers even has pink hogue recoil-reducing grips on it), a Bersa Thunder .380, and a Glock 36. She doesn't even want to shoot the .38 anymore, and its the only gun she owns. The common trend between all three? They are lightweight which means that felt recoil is a lot worse in all three than for a full sized gun in that caliber. Also, the short sight radius on each of them makes them harder to shoot well. Sub-compacts are not for new shooters.

She likes shooting full size 9mms, like a Sig 226, or full sized .38s, like a S&W Model 64, a lot. Because they are the exact opposite, a long sight radius for a pistol, and have enough weight to negate the recoil.

I usually see a couple of women a month in my classes who have a really small .380 or snub-nosed .38, that someone else thought would be great for them, who really do not enjoy shooting their new pistol. Let your wife find the gun that she likes shooting, its for her.
    Funny you speak to this. I was just viewing an episode of Downrange TV where this was just the topic. So many want to get wives and girlfriends small dainty guns but as my wife will also agree. They are hard to handle and can bite!! She is a big fan of the SA EMP 9mm. I think it is more hers now than mine.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

My wife has both a Bersa Thunder and a S&W Model 60 Lady Smith. I believe she seems partial to the Bersa at this point in time.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links