What does your Wife or Significant other like to shoot?

This is a discussion on What does your Wife or Significant other like to shoot? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife got the shooting Bug! she was never into guns until recently she's been wanting to learn to shoot, since she will be a ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What does your Wife or Significant other like to shoot?

My wife got the shooting Bug! she was never into guns until recently she's been wanting to learn to shoot, since she will be a stay at home mom in the next month or two. So yesterday I took her out to shoot my LCP, G19 and 1911. I really thought she would like the LCP but I was WRONG. She preferred the Glock 19 gen 4. more like she loved it. So this leaves me thinking she needs her own gun as to not use mine :). She had a hard time running the slide for any of the guns but was finally able to do it better with the glock because grip was better for her, but she still struggled.

Now I know the best thing would be to go try different guns, but there are not a lot of gun rental places around here. Most of the ranges don't have a lot of newer stuff to rent. So I want to narrow it down. Now someday she would like to carry so it has to be semi compact. I think the G19 is too big for her to carry so I wanna get other opinions. I think a 38 wheel gun would be more to her liking but she seems to like the Semi's. So what does your wife or significant other like to shoot? Or if any of you ladies have tips.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

wife EDC-Sig 228 or Khar 9 depending on what she is doing or both.

I can tell you what my girlfriend doesn't like shooting: A Smith and Wesson J-frame (hers even has pink hogue recoil-reducing grips on it), a Bersa Thunder .380, and a Glock 36. She doesn't even want to shoot the .38 anymore, and its the only gun she owns. The common trend between all three? They are lightweight which means that felt recoil is a lot worse in all three than for a full sized gun in that caliber. Also, the short sight radius on each of them makes them harder to shoot well. Sub-compacts are not for new shooters.

She likes shooting full size 9mms, like a Sig 226, or full sized .38s, like a S&W Model 64, a lot. Because they are the exact opposite, a long sight radius for a pistol, and have enough weight to negate the recoil.

I usually see a couple of women a month in my classes who have a really small .380 or snub-nosed .38, that someone else thought would be great for them, who really do not enjoy shooting their new pistol. Let your wife find the gun that she likes shooting, its for her.
    limatunes likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Nothing! My wife hates guns.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Hoops.

My wife doesn't care for guns, I get her out once a year (Father's Day) and that's about it. She enjoys shooting the .22 platform but nothing else, and she has 0 interest of keeping a gun on her side of the bed, she just wants a Louisville Slugger.

She's OK with me carrying, but I don't see her ever doing so herself, and I don't push it.

"what does your wife like to shoot?"That's easy, her mouth.
    ccman, 357and40 and nadeau526 like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

My wife loves her Walther P-1.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    My girl likes to shoot targets

And by that, I mean she likes to shoot anything at targets!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I am fortunate I guess. My wife shoots exactly what I tell her to.

And, I don't mean that in some kinda macho way. She just lets me handle the "gun department".

Currently, I have her carrying a G26. She dutifully practices when I take her shooting as long as I don’t try to get her to shoot more than around 150 rounds in a trip, or more than 2 or so trips in a month. She’s getting pretty good.

If I said tomorrow “Now, you EDC a full size 1911!”… She’d be like “Whatever, sweetheart.”
    Philly Boy likes this.

my wife likes any gun with what she calls "A SQUISHY GRIP" lol ....she loves the Ruger SP101 or any slimline pistol

my wife also has a very hard time running the slide on a semi. so when it came time to buy a gun for home defense, we went with a wheel gun - a 4" GP100 stainless. she can shoot that rather well and the recoil is no problem for her.
    i then purchased a smaller wheel gun for my EDC - the ruger LCR in 38. special. she fired that during our most recent outing to the range and was initially surprised by the stronger recoil, but quickly got used to it. by the end of the session, she was shooting it better than me. for her, recoil is not an issue. being able to run the gun by herself is the most important factor.
    it's all in what the person feels comfortable shooting.

If she really likes semis, don't get her a revolver. They have more recoil, and I certainly did not enjoy shooting them. I carry a G26, but I also really like the S&W M&P 9, though it is too big for me to CC. The M&P9c would be a good bet, as would the new M&P Shield (which is a single stack compact 9). I love my G26. If she liked the G19, but it was a little big, the G26 would be a logical choice.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    when asked what she likes to shoot she responded " things that go BANG"

pretty much whatever i put in her hand till it runs out of ammo is 'hers'
    no 357's or LW 45's; 32-20 is a favorite, than 3 or 4" 38's but her gun is a
    colt 32 long colt target model thats like new and 87 years old.
    its a 6" bbl on what im thinking is a I frame. very light & accurate.

took me more than a year to put together the reloading stuff for it,
    the cartrage has been obsolete since 1917
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Like to shoot? You mean, besides BG's??
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

My wife has a LCP, but she is not a big fan of shooting it. Her favorite to shoot is the Benelli M4. Go figure.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links