Counting Rounds

Counting Rounds

This is a discussion on Counting Rounds within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious if members here keep track of how many rounds are shot through your pistols. I have G19 purchased in 1993. I have no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Counting Rounds

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Counting Rounds

I'm curious if members here keep track of how many rounds are shot through your pistols. I have G19 purchased in 1993. I have no idea how many rounds have passed through it.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I never have. Give it an estimation if I think it is getting close to spring swap time.

Do you swap out barrels, springs firing pins?
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I buy 1000 rounds at a time so I have a good general Idea what went down range. If I sat down and looked at all the receipts I could narrow it down very close.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i thought you meant during a draw and while firing

as for the guns life, i keep track of primers and bullets i have purchased, not necessarialy which gun they went through.
    one 45acp gun has 47K rounds in 14 years--still going
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I Just guesstimate, I usually shoot 100 to 200 of a caliber during a range session so I can delve up a rough estimate in my head to the nearest thousandth....... Now that I actually write this that's a terrible method and I should start writing this down! Good question OP, I'm all ears and taking notes!

At first I thought this post was going to be about counting rounds during a gunfight; I know personally that I cannot do this.

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    I Just guesstimate, I usually shoot 100 to 200 of a caliber during a range session so I can delve up a rough estimate in my head to the nearest thousandth....... Now that I actually write this that's a terrible method and I should start writing this down! Good question OP, I'm all ears and taking notes!
    It just never occurred to me to keep track over the years. I may need to do some preventive maintenance.

Distinguished Member
    I actually was just thinking about this as I just started breaking in my 4th gun. I have a really good idea on each of them, an exact count on the most recent, but was wondering if I should/want to keep a precise count on em. I think my CZ and my Sigma which are just for fun now I don't care so much, but my carry guns it just seems like it could be a good idea. Interested to see what people have to say.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I will admit on an online forum that I'm inherently lazy; if I say I will start a logbook and meticulously log each round fired I'd be lying. How do you all do this?

I'm thinking maybe just collect box tops? If I shoot a wwb 100 box just rip off the top that says the type of round and number, then toss it into a shoebox labeled for a particular gun? That way I could go back and see not only round. Punt but types of ammo as well? I'm just tossing ideas now, never done this but am interested in an easy way to do so...
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

Seems to be a firearms forum thing, originating in recent years.

I just don't keep up. I have a vague notion of the total number of rounds through a Kel Tech P3AT kept around here mostly because it took such a large number to gain reliability and I just got in the habit of keeping up ever since. The other pistols that see the most use are counted more in cartons of .22 ammo consumed or 500 count boxes of cast bullets that are loaded. Most of the rifles have been owned for so long that no estimate could be given of the ones most frequently used.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I do keep track of my rounds and am pretty meticulous about it. I record each magazine and include gun, round count, target distance, drill or target type, and where the rounds hit. I do this in excel and then create a pivot table of the data so I can look by gun or distance or whatever.

I am a data guy and I also love to see if I am improving. This works for me. I know it may seem overkill for some.

Distinguished Member
    I record rounds, I use rangelog.com to keep track of rounds, ranges, training, practice and maintenance.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I don't keep track of rounds on anything but the Kimber since they are the only ones that seem to be so persnickety about it. And yeah, I'll probably change springs when they tell me too also. Hell, it's like being married to your gun.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    ... Hell, it's like being married to your gun.
    Like most things in my marriage, I have no clue. I do have a general idea, since all of my were purchased new (not looking forward to the day I inherit a bunch).

Spare springs for everything is in inventory, each are immaculately maintained, and I'm good w/that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links