Chamber loaded indicators - you like'em or no?

This is a discussion on Chamber loaded indicators - you like'em or no? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems like this has been discussed indirectly, but now that there are many more members, maybe it's worth repeating. Some manufacturers have chamber loaded indicators, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

Seems like this has been discussed indirectly, but now that there are many more members, maybe it's worth repeating.

Some manufacturers have chamber loaded indicators, either visual or feel. Specifically, XD's, newer Glocks, etc.

Of course the manual method is a press check. A press check requires an unholstered gun, lots more gun manipulation, and noise than an indicator. Some indicators, esp. XD types can be checked in the holster.

So what's your thoughts on chamber indicators?

Senior Moderator
    They are OK.

I say OK because they are not a substitue for common sense. I personally think that every gun that is picked up should be checked to see if its loaded anyway, loaded indicator or not.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My personal opinion.......I should know if my pistol is loaded or not when carrying. Still, I do check them before/after arming up, I never trust a loaded chamber indicator. Seeing is believing for me. You never know...there could be that one day when you glance and see an indicator telling you it's loaded but, in reality, your pocket lint is making it stick out.

That's when the loudest click in the world is heard........followed by "well, I guess he never checked to make sure it was loaded and the other guy got a shot off first."

I think it's a good supplement, but not a substitute, to proper handgun handling. I would not get in the habit of using it as the last word though. Always verify ESPECIALLY when it indicates and empty chamber and the slide is forward.

MikeV

Pretty much the same feeling I have with internal locks- fantastic for people who aren't really sure they should have a weapon in the first place. If the weapon goes on my body, it is charged. If it is off my body, it is cleared, and re-charged.

I Like 'em!

My chamber loaded indicators are my eyes and index finger.

Just anothe PC gizzmo. No one should be relying on these to determine if a pistol is loaded. They don't bother me as much as magazine disconnects because I don't see that they can impede with the operation of the gun but feel they are unnesessary and can promote bad gun handling practices for some.

The number #1 rule of firearm safety in my home is that all firearms are loaded till "you" verify differently. I personally feel that a chamber indicator is no different then an individual handing you a firearm then telling you that it's unloaded.

In reality, chamber indicators are nothing more then the manufacture's attempt to reduce their product liability. I personally don't trust them as I don't trust my gas gauge in my car. I always verify by visible checking the chamber as I alway reset the trip odometer when I fill up my car. I've had a gas gauge go bad and had to walk to the nearest gas station, the chance that both my gas gauge and trip odometer goes bad at the same time is unlikely. The same is true with visually checking you chamber. Needless to say, a bad guy isn't going to give you a retry if your chamber indicator is stuck showing a loaded chamber when it's not.

At first I didn't loke them as I also believe in checking with my eyes which I still do everytime my weapon has left my sight, BUT in the middle of the night it is a great feeling to run your finger over the loaded chamber and the cocked pins, when racking the slide may give away your position. I have to XD's 40 s&w and 45 acp and both are in the bedroom at night, one for both of us!!
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I don't have an opinion either way, but of the two sides I would lean towards the negative. Why? Because it makes some gun owners less likely to physically check the chamber. I think that complacency leads to ND's. I check my chamber every night before bed and every morning when I wake up. I don't think that one should go ahead and trust a mechanical (or, in the future, electronic) indicators. They can break - just like anything else on the gun.

In my mind, my carry has two positions: Slide locked back and possibly loaded or slide forward and loaded.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I pretty much agree with whats been said. They don't bother me since I don't really use them and they can't break and stop the functioning of te pistol...

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I think it is a supplement to visually verifying the status. It cant hurt to perform a press check in addition to viewing the indicator. I like the ones on my XD's mainly because they are both unobtrusive and easy to see/feel.
    Fear No Evil.

Administrator

Thumbs up

I consider my chambers to always be loaded unless I check & make 100% certain they are not.

I have my usual regimen that I go through before I don my handgun so a Loaded Chamber Indicator would be a redundant feature to me.

But, if somebody wanted to gift me a nice firearm that had a loaded chamber indicator...I wouldn't refuse it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'll just second what's already been said. It's a substitute, not a replacement. ALWAYS verify. Best indicator like a best safety is between your ears! I like that analogy of it being like a person that hands you a gun and tells you it's unloaded. A chamber indicator is the same thing. << Good one stmichps.

i like it, it has its uses..the gun i'm carrying is always loaded anyways...the only time i can see this being useful is maybe at night and you've locked yourself in your room, in the dark you have an intruder making his way to your room and you just want to double check and make sure you have a round n the chamber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links