Just experienced the dreaded M&P Dead Trigger....

This is a discussion on Just experienced the dreaded M&P Dead Trigger.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I feel like I just walked in on my wife having an affair... My much loved M&P Pro Series 9mm has now come down with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Just experienced the dreaded M&P Dead Trigger....

Unhappy Just experienced the dreaded M&P Dead Trigger....

I feel like I just walked in on my wife having an affair...

My much loved M&P Pro Series 9mm has now come down with a serious case of dead trigger. This isn't like a "it happened once" thing, this is like a multiple times in one mag thing. Worst of all it happened after approximately 3k worth of flawlessly trouble free rounds. She was so utterly reliable, I could shoot this pistol without cleaning for hundreds of rounds without the slightest hiccup, then all of a sudden she goes terminal and becomes as dependable as a crack head needing a fix.

For those not "in the know" the m&p dead trigger issue is when after firing a live round the sear isn't properly reset and although the weapon successfully chambers the next round, the trigger is dead (no reset, doesn't break, acts like it was never racked back.). a simple tap, rack bang will fix this but it's usually a chronic problem once it happens, like cancer.

Before anyone thinks they shouldn't get an M&P based on this thread keep in mind that this is an OLDER m&p issue, as mine is. From my understanding the currently produced m&ps do not have this problem. My pro series is an older m&p and I knew it was succeptible to this, I had hoped I was a lucky one... Now I know it is not so.

To be honest although I knew about this issue I was never too worried; virtually every gun in existence has a horror story somewhere on the Internet. I hate to sound like a lib but... "I never thought it would happen to me."

N another note I also own and carry an m&p compact 9mm and it has been flawless. It's a new production and shouldn't be succeptible to dead trigger.

Has anyone else experienced a similar chronic failure on an otherwise utterly dependable firearm? Are there like AA meetings for this sort of thing? I've heard S&W will fix it for free, but will I ever feel confident enough to have my old pro series be my night stand gun again?

Sad, sad day....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Isn't there a fix for that?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

My sincere condolences. Never heard of this but good to know. I hate that feeling of not being able to fully trust a firearm you previously had full faith in.

Oh...........that could be a big problem.

Man that sucks.... I am sure s&w GREAT cs will take care of this asap for you though. If they did and you ran it through its paces why not trust it again? Its a machine...it will mess up sometime in its life

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Just wait, some glocktard will tell you that you should have gotten a Glock. It is coming
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Isn't there a fix for that?
    From what I've read on other forums S&W should take it back and install a whole new sear block with a beefier sear spring. Apparently this malfunction has a lot to do with recoil (the weapon has to fire, this malfunction is very hard to induce while dry firing). The recoil will cause the older, weaker springs to slightly compress and allow the sear to escape, riding the slide home and thus "decocking" the gun. I could replace the sear spring now but the current block will only accept the smaller sear springs, if I send it to S&W apparently they will swap out the block and give me the beefier spring which doesn't have this problem.

At least that's what I could puzzle out from reading forums frantically this afternoon... I guess another scare for me is that I dont really know exactly how my M&P works... And I didn't know that I didn't know that. This problem is caused by very, very small parts not functioning perfectly and that sort of bothers me. Before this I just glazed over all the levers, bars, springs and sears "doing their thing" in the frame of the gun, naively taking them for granted. To be honest I still don't think I fully grasp what lever pulls what spring to cause the sear to do whatever to finally hit the striker... Before the M&P I was always a hammer fired guy with the 1911 and the M9...

Thus my world is rocked. I've fallen so deeply in love with the M&P line this is just crushing. Thanks for all the support guys, this sucks!!

I'll call S&W in the morning and keep you all posted...

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    For what it's worth, a buddy of mine has a 1st gen Sccy. Last time he had it at the range with my sister and myself there was a similar problem. Only, the only way we could get it to work again was to smack it against the table... a few times. Then it worked again.

Needless to say he sent it in and got it fixed; they had a fast turn around, and it was back in his hand within two weeks working great.

So send yours in, get it fixed, and then shoot the mess out of it again until you trust it again. Then holster it and be happy.
    JoeK and Philly Boy like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

You could do the DCAEK kit... it comes with the two sear springs, one for the older and one for the newer block. S&W will like you said probably update to the newer block.

Good luck and keep us updated.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Should have bought a Taurus. Forget the Glocks.

Send it in, let them fix the problem, run it through its paces, and then be happy. It is a machine, it is subject to breaking at some point. You found the breaking point, no big deal.

Hope S&W gets it back to you fast and makes you happy again.
    ws76133, RevolvingMag and BugDude like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Man that sucks.... I am sure s&w GREAT cs will take care of this asap for you though. If they did and you ran it through its paces why not trust it again? Its a machine...it will mess up sometime in its life

Sent from my DROID RAZR

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

If it ran fine before for 3000 rounds +, why, especially if the new part(s) are not prone to behaving like the "old" part(s) then it should be fine.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

This is why I so strongly encourage malfunction drills in classes,all guns break,EVEN GLOCKS!

She was so utterly reliable, I could shoot this pistol without cleaning for hundreds of rounds without the slightest hiccup, then all of a sudden she goes terminal and becomes as dependable as a crack head needing a fix.

perhaps you should consider cleaning it? Dirty guns do some weird stuff.....just a thought.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    [I]perhaps you should consider cleaning it? Dirty guns do some weird stuff.....just a thought.
    True... I'd be curious to see if any powder residue was around the sears plunger & spring causing an issue.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Sounds like you shot it to much and wore it out.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links