Defensive Carry banner

Searching For New Revolver

9K views 66 replies 42 participants last post by  rdpG19 
#1 ·
I own a few Semi-Auto's but not one Revolver yet. I don't want a snub nose, just something more for home defense & just to play around with at the range. So what would you guys recommend? I'd like to keep it in the $500.00 +/- range or less if possible.

#34 ·
If you want a good gun for little money, try a European American Arms (EAA) .357 "Windicator." It is on the order of a SP101,
28.8 oz, and handles 38+P like a dream.I haven't tried .357 yet, but I expect it to be very manageable.The finish isn't as well done as the Ruger, but it is a well made (Germany) revolver and, from other posts in the past, seems to hold up very well.You really can't go wrong with this gun.:35:

Reactions: Kilowatt3
#43 ·
If you want a good gun for little money, try a European American Arms (EAA) .357 "Windicator."...
I second what a lot of the guys have said about the Rugers. IMHO they're the best "name brand" bang for the buck out there. But, the EAA is a heckuva value at about half the price of the big players. Not as pretty, but you can't beat it for a knockaround or tacklebox gun. We have a 4" that has performed flawlessly.

Regards,
Jim

Reactions: Philly Boy
#37 ·
I have an SP-101 in like new condition that I got at an estate sale for a good price and it is a good quality revolver.
I have put Wolff springs in the Ruger and the action is acceptable.
Gun Revolver Firearm Everyday carry Trigger

click image to enlarge....

I picked up a 1977 S&W Model 15 Combat Magnum at a local pawn shop for a fair price and the action is exceptional.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

I picked up a 1977 S&W Model 10 in a trade and the action is smooth,tight and crisp.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

All three are good quality firearms. The actions on the S&W's are far superior to the Ruger IMHO.

I just purchased a stainless small frame 5 shot revolver a few weeks ago. It was made in 1983. The action for a small revolver is excellent.
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Yeah it's a S&W Model 60.:yup:

Quality never goes out of style and the older S&W's are for me the benchmark by which other revolvers are mesured.

OS

#39 ·
I have had and carried my Ruger SP 101 for many years now. I love it. I have had to go to a LCP for carrying because of my physical disability (too heavy for my pocket), but my SP 101 is still my first line weapon at home. Highly recommend it.

#46 ·
Hi Cory; I'm even feeling good about that 1961 Model 10 you picked up for that price. That's great and the gun is so appealing as seen in your photograph.

Rigrat; Older Model 19 2 1/2-inch revolvers are always appropriate. The front sight on yours is a bit different. Was it a factory option or a custom? Looks good either way. If I was to go for a Ruger revolver I'd pick a blued Security Six just like that one over any other.

Reactions: Cory1022
#47 ·
You can't own just ONE revolver. You will get one, and it will be a large one, and you will develop an unusual affinity for it. Next thing you know, you're looking at others and you think, "This snubnosed revolver gives me that same warm feeling and is easier to carry." Then you'll see an airweight DAO and you will see the benefits of that. Then the nostalgia of the single six in 22 will catch your eye, then the same gun in 44. 9 revolvers later, you will officially be a wheel gun head and you will think back to this post and you will understand. Good luck. I started out with revolvers...they have soul...you just have to experience it to get it. I have semi-autos also, but tupperware doesn't strike the same chord in my heart. When I walk into a gun shop, I spend loads of time at the revolvers and then quickly glance by the bottom-feeders. Seen one black plastic gun, seen them all.

#52 ·
The sight on the Model 19 has had the red insert removed and a metropro night sight installed as well as the rear leaf. I really like the old gal and prefer to carry her most of the time. She has a nice slick action and a single action pull that should be on a target gun.

The Ruger I really like also would really like to find the snub nose version one day as i shoots really nice to and is not overly heavy either.

#54 · (Edited)
Was any modification made to the night sight in order to install it in the front ramp sight?

Never mind, went to the meprolight website and found them, that's pretty cool, didn't know something like that existed for K,L, or N frame revolvers with red/orange insert front sights.

#53 ·
Rigrat,

The grips on your 19 look like Badger's and they really set the gun off. :yup:

I put a set of Rosewood Badgers on my 15 .

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun barrel
Jeans Clothing Denim Dress shirt Shirt
Jeans Denim Handgun holster Belt Brown

It increases the size for concealment but they look and feel great.

OS

#58 ·
Either of the aforementioned Rugers...GP100 or the SP101 would be a solid investment and a great shooter.
I prefer the '101', and have one I find very easy to tuck in at 3:30.

#60 ·
I hate these revolver threads.

bmcgilvray, and wmhawth always mess up my desk/keyboard/mouse/shirt with spittle as I look longingly at their pictures.

QK,

you need to put up a warning on these threads, as they are dangerous to ones marriage/pocketbook, etc.

#65 ·
Well I went a head & purchased the SP101 for $350 out the door. It's the 2.25 barrel & also came with the orginal grips & some houge grips. Took it out to the ranch this past weekend & shot some 38 special & 357 mag out of it. I'm really glad I bought it after shooting it. This revolver rocks. Shopping around for a nice holster now. Thanks fellas for all the help!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.