Defensive Carry banner

Searching For New Revolver

9K views 66 replies 42 participants last post by  rdpG19 
#1 ·
I own a few Semi-Auto's but not one Revolver yet. I don't want a snub nose, just something more for home defense & just to play around with at the range. So what would you guys recommend? I'd like to keep it in the $500.00 +/- range or less if possible.

#30 ·
+ another 1.

Traded for a 6" stainless GP100. Love it. You won't be disappointed.

#8 ·
^I'm in this camp^^^^^^^^^

Unless you might just wanna stick with .38 cal. then maybe look for a model 10.
Could find a couple decent shape ones for your $500, or slightly more, and have two pistols.

#6 ·
Ruger SP101 in either the 3" barrel or the new 4". 3" if you want to carry it once in awhile. 4" if you are more interested in just target shooting and home defense with occasional trail use. In either case, you are getting the best revolver for the money.

#7 ·
Another vote for Ruger. I have both the sp101 and the gp100 and would recommend either one for your budget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

#14 ·
Ruger SP101 or GP100 Can't go wrong either way. Let us know what you end up with.

#17 ·
My vote is for the Smith & Wesson K or L frame. For $500 you have a lot of nice used guns available to you, in stainless or classic blued finish. The L frames (686 being a good example) are built to take a steady diet of magnum loads, and are just a tad bigger in the frame than the K series. There are plenty of these sitting in used-gun cases which have holster wear but few rounds down range. This week alone I've seen 3 Model 19s in very good condition sell on Gun Broker in the low-$400 range.

No disrespect to the Rugers, but the SP101 is a heavy bugger for being a 5-shot. For a range/fun gun (which you said you were looking for), my recommendation would be for a full-sized wheelgun that holds at least 6 rounds. The full-size Ruger GP100 is a stout gun, but you'll never get as good a trigger as you will with an S&W.

#18 ·
Reactions: stancehold
#21 ·
I'm no fan of Ruger revolvers except for someone else. Of course I'm no longer a fan of the revolver products currently turned out by Smith & Wesson, sad to say. A good 4-inch or 6-inch Smith & Wesson revolver of traditional manufacture (meaning no MIM parts or wretched lock) is a delightful range companion that can well serve as a home defense handgun. One could choose from any of several different used, or in some cases discontinued Smith & Wesson models and enjoy a more satisfying revolver than any new revolvers produced by any company. As mentioned above, there are a number of great choices to be had in K, L, or N frame sizes. The Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolver models may generally be picked up for less money than similar Smith & Wesson .357 Models. I have both but mostly choose .38 Special guns for range time.

Don't be concerned about purchasing a quality used revolver.

Texasleager slipped that mention of the Colt Lawman in there while this post was being typed. Colt revolvers also make great lifetime companions and the Lawman is a pretty good value. They shoot very well and their fixed sights are both trouble-free and generally well sighted in for most loads at most practical distances. The Colt Trooper is the same basic revolver but features adjustable sights. A guy could live with either one and be happy.

Reactions: shooterX
#24 ·
Like bmcgilvray, I am not a huge fan of Ruger revolvers either, I have always found them to be ugly when compared to a Colt or Smith and Wesson. I am also not a big fan of the current production Smith's for the same reasons stated above, (although I do have a smith 442, but with out the lock). Don't think you could go wrong with a used K-frame or even L-frame Smith or a Colt. The only own side to the Colt's is if you have an issue with it, finding a smith that knows how to work on them could be a problem.

#25 ·
If you get a used revolver, learn what to look for and things to check on before purchasing. Especially cylinder timing and lockup. There are some small parts that can get worn (i.e. the hand, bolt). Bring a feeler gauge to check on the cylinder to barrel gap. I can't recall the acceptable tolerances but sure you can look it up. Here's a link to one guide Revolver Checkout Procedure. Look at the recoil shield to get an idea of how much it was shot from the case head wear marks. Also the erosion on the front of the cylinder can give you an idea too. The wear marks on the cylinder along the bolt stops are wear signs too (from bolt drag). You have to compare new to various used revolvers to become proficient at judging.

Lighter frame S&W .357Mags like the K-frame are nice but have to be wary if a used one has been shot a lot and fed a steady diet of full .357Mags. The K-frame was actually a .38sp frame to start with. A heavier frame .357Mag like the L-frame (or N-frame) are much more sturdy and can handle constant full .357Mags. My favorite though was a K-frame 4" M66 stainless. I just like the classic lines of the older S&Ws and how they feel. Maybe it's just from shooting them a lot. Unfortunately, you might be hard pressed to find a good S&W .357mag for $500.

Nothing wrong with Rugers. They're solid and in your price range. If you plan on shooting a lot of .357Mags, might want to look at a GP100 with a 4" barrel. Beefy frame and with more weight than the SP101.

#29 ·
Look around for some of the old K Frame S&Ws that are out there and usually priced well under $500. For your home defense needs you could do worse than the L Frame 686+. Here's a couple I keep around here. S&W Model 15-5 on the left and the 686+ on the right.

Attachments

#31 ·
This! ^^^^

Bill, I always like seeing your Smith & Wesson Model 15 which is one of the greatest unsung examples of a quality revolver that's ever been produced. They are an absolute joy to shoot at the range and easily handle any and all of the more powerful +P .38 Special loadings. They are nearly impossible to wear out through shooting use. The Model 15 was originally named the Combat Masterpiece by Smith & Wesson when it was introduced and is the 4-inch version of the Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece which was Smith & Wesson's target model .38 Special revolver. The Model 15 shares all the fine accuracy attributes of it's close target model cousin. Any K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver has a fantastic double-action trigger and the more they are used the better they get. These revolvers wear in, not wear out. Considering today's used handgun market, the Model 15 is a tremendous bargain.

Revolvers are still relevant and are still taken seriously around here.

Here are some of my very favorite .38 special revolvers. Top:4-inch Model 15-3 from 1967. Bottom: 8 3/8-inch Model 14-4 purchased new in 1980

Fixed sight Model 10s shoot where they look with 158 grain loadings out to 25 yards and are even usefully accurate with most other bullet weights available. These revolvers group on target as well as Smith & Wesson's target models but don't feature adjustable sights or the trigger overtravel adjustment. Top: 4-inch Model 10-5 with standard tapered barrel. This one was produced in 1974. Bottom: 4-inch Model 10-6 Heavy Barrel produced in June of 1971 according to a Smith & Wesson factory letter. My first handgun, it was acquired used in 1975 and has always seen heavy use up to the present, never breaking or failing.

Good Colt revolvers with actions every bit as nice as the vaunted Python. Top: Colt Official Police 4-inch produced in 1953 and originally an NYPD gun. Bottom a Colt Officer's Model Match with 6-inch barrel from 1957, Colt's specialized target model .38 Special revolver from days of yore when bulls-eye competition reigned supreme. Officers Model revolvers give up nothing to the Python in action quality and smoothness. These revolvers are trouble-free and will give good service over a lifetime of use.

A tribe of Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolvers showing largest frame size to the smallest currently on hand. Top to bottom: 6-inch Model 27, 4-inch Model 586, 4-inch Model 19 in nickel, and 2 1/2-inch Model 66 which is of course stainless steel. The .357 Magnum is generally considered to be more glamorous and does offer a wider range of performance for .357 diameter bullets but I find myself reaching for the .38 Special guns more often. If more power is required then handguns with calibers beginning with a 4 are selected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.