New Gun - How Many Failures Are Acceptable?

This is a discussion on New Gun - How Many Failures Are Acceptable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious where the people at DC stand on this... I used 300 rounds because it's more than 100 and less than 500... pretty scientific, ...

View Poll Results: In 300 rounds of test firing a new gun, how many failures are acceptable?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll

104 57.46%
  • 1-4 if FTE or FTF

59 32.60%
  • 5-10 if FTE or FTF

7 3.87%
  • Other - Please explain

11 6.08%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New Gun - How Many Failures Are Acceptable?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Just curious where the people at DC stand on this...

I used 300 rounds because it's more than 100 and less than 500... pretty scientific, I know. I had to put in a number so I went with 300 because it falls in the middle of what I 'think' most people consider a decent break-in for trusting a new firearm for carry. If your number varies greatly just do some quick math, or add it to your reply.

FTE = Failure to Eject
    FTF = Failure to Feed

For the purposes of this poll, those are the two most common so I tried to make it quick and easy... thanks.

Woo hooo, first vote!!!

If its a gun that requires some initial break in, I'll just roll with the punches as long as its not every other round. My LCP had a few hiccups in the first 300, now it shoots like a dream.

For a modern polymer pistol (not pocket pistol) I.e. M&P, glock, XD, it had better not hiccup at all... And they rarely do. I've never seen any of those pistols need any break in; they just come out of the box and shoot!!

Assuming you're using good ammo, it should be minimal to 0. (I voted 1-4) My XD9 has only ever had 1 hiccup in a FTE but I think it was related to the mag not being seated correctly because it has never happened again with any ammo. In a smaller gun that more or less requires a break-in then I could see a handful as "acceptable" assuming it fires consistently after that.

VIP Member
    Since both my edc Glocks (3rd Generation 17 and Gen 4 19) have generated zero non-shooter-induced malfunctions ever, zero is what I went with.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

if its mechanical it can be fixed

It depends on the gun and the type of failure.

I will pick on Glocks first. My wife's G19 has had some failures due to limp wristing by young shooters. Not the guns problem. It also had some failures due to low powered reloads. Not the guns fault.

My 24/7 has had the same failures on the low powered reloads. Not the guns fault.

My TCP was not real great out of the box. I did a review and listed all the failures in the first 200 to 300 rds. I brought it home, polished it up some and solved the issues. Now unless it gets pretty dirty it runs fine. So, if I shoot 100 rds through it with dirty ammo, I will expect some failures to creep up about that time. If I take a minute or two and break it down, clean it a bit, and start to run it again, we are good to go.

So far I haven't been able to induce a failure in an XD, or the PF9, the PT111, or any revolvers.

My Dan Wesson needed some smoothing out when I got it. It was afterall a prototype from the factory.

The only time I have issues with failures is when I can't figure out what is causing them. If I can diagnose the problem and eliminate it, I can have confidence in the gun.
    phreddy likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Depends on the type of ammo using too. Some guns don't like certain ammo. Not the kind of gun you should probably be using for self-defense though until it irons out.
    Walk softly ...

I put zero. But most my guns eat anything. I've had guns that only feed on certain bullets. If I know that before and use the recommended bullet it should have any problems.I have 20yr old guns with no failures. Why the poll??? Don't say it your shield sucks?? Hope not thats on my list next.

This is one of those "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" questions.

For a brand-new gun, I'll probably wait to see if whatever failure mode occurs repeats itself, then run some experiments (vary mags, vary ammo, etc.) to diagnose the fault. So that might be a dozen rounds or more. Would I condemn a new gun as "unreliable" based on that? Not at all, until I understand the nature of the problem.

Checking my records, I see I've bought a baker's dozen handguns new. Exactly three of these had "teething" problems; two were Springfield 1911s which needed simple throating and polishing, and the other was a Kel-Tec .32 that had its mag release fly away during its initial range checkout. These were inconvenient, but far less so than the stuff that goes wrong on $30K car in the first week or two of ownership and use.

Not to hijack the thread, but FWIW I've had more hiccups with my Glock 23 (failure to go fully into battery) than with any other semiautos (Kahr, CZ, Ruger, Springfield, Sig, Taurus), and to date the G23 has probably no more than a couple thousand rounds through it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I like the 300 round test too. Never had any gun fail on me before,... oh yeah, except for that Taurus that gave me the horns. It's gone now.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

johnsr usn ret

retired military. cant have any failures, your life depends on it.

VIP Member
    I put 1-4, but it will depend on what the failure is. Also, if there is a failure I begin my reliability run again.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    With my first 50 rounds of 400 fmj rounds I will let a 1 or 2 faulures to feed slide by but after than I want zero issues. With the 150 to 200 of HP ammo I shoot before carry'n I want zero problems. I am willing to try another bullet design before worry'n about the pistol. So with 550 to 600 rounds down range by this point and no problems at all after the first 50 it is carry worthy.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Depends on Ammo also, Some guns don't certain types of ammo.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Depends on the cause of failure. If it's ammo related, change it. If it's magazine related, change it. If it's shooter related, change their style. If it's gun related, fix it or dump it. Practice, practice and more practice will get you comfortable enough to handle those FTEs or FTFs so they become inconvenient, not life threatening.
    Bottom line is, the gun, magazine and ammo are man made, and will be handled and shot by humans, so at sometime they're going to screw up. It's the being able to handle those situations that really count.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Colt Commander LW. I think shooting twice is just plain silly.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links