M&P, Glock and XD Similar?

This is a discussion on M&P, Glock and XD Similar? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know how Glocks work, but are the M&P and XD pistols similar in nature to the Glock. I'm talking firing mechanism, not manufacturer. Which ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod
  • 1 Post By Crowbait
  • 2 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: M&P, Glock and XD Similar?

I know how Glocks work, but are the M&P and XD pistols similar in nature to the Glock. I'm talking firing mechanism, not manufacturer.

Which mechanism is better or is this where you get what you pay for?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Safe action, striker fired? The best thing is what you can work with, understand, shoot well with, and be confident in. What you listed are similar in ways. Just that Glock started the trend and has refined it to a point. Others simply ride the wave. Ask Frontsight what's best for CC. Take the test online. Out of those you mentioned specifically......nothing is equal even though I said they are similar. Biggest benefit of carrying a striker fired pistol concealed is no external hammer. Pick your trigger pull, grip, bore height, external safeties, etc.....tailored to your liking.
    mano3 likes this.

Yes and no.

While they all work in similar manner, the XD is classified as a single action only system while the Glock and M&P are double action only.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

What they said...They all work in a similar manner but the XD is classified as SAO because when the slide is cycled is fully tensions the striker, the trigger just releases it...As to the Glock and M&P I believe they are considered DAO because when the slide is cycled the striker is not FULLY tensioned, the trigger pull finishes cocking the striker and then releases it. I hope I got all that right. If not I'm sure someone will call me on it.
    mano3 likes this.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Thanks fellow posters. Makes sense.

It seems that police departments go Glock then M and P...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

you can't go wrong with any of those.The glocks have tons of aftermarket parts available to customize the gun. Very easy to work on.My only problem with them is the tight trigger gaurd if you have large hands.The M&P,fits the hand better in my opinion.I don't think I would say one mechanism is better than the other.They are all depenable,shoot well,and are all closely priced.

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Thanks fellow posters. Makes sense.

Police departments go where they get discounts....plain and simple. Economics mainly. Why isn't our armed forces using Glocks? Red tape that might get you killed? It is what it is.
    sid1 and mano3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Those choices are heavily biased by how good a deal the manufacturers make them.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    While all three are similar and I own both an XD Service and Glock 23, both in .40S&W. I find I carry the Glock much more than the XD which has been relegated to nightstand/home defense duty. I don't have a lot of experience with the Smith, but prefer the Glock over the other two, especially in the mid sized guns.

Before I retired from LE our dept. went from Glock 22 40SW to Smith M&P 40SW and the officers qualifying scores improved. Why I don't know but I think it is because of the better grip angle. Our dept went to the Smith this time around because Of the deal they got from Smith and Wesson on purchase contract. One of the dept. armorers is also a FFL and he stated that the dept. got the pistols a lot cheaper then what he could get them from the wholesaler for.
    Now I just recently returned to work part time with the sheriffs office in the next county and they still carry Glock 17s 9mm.

My personal off duty CCW weapon of choice is a Sigma 40SW, next a Smith 642 or PF9. ever bodies different so go with what u like.....Why the Sigma? I liked the natural pointing grip angle better then the glock and I liked the DAO revolver feeling trigger of the pistol. Been a very reliable firearm that I shot a boatload of bullets through which comes on target fast. I carry it in a Milt Sparks SS2 holster horsehide IWB at 4 o'clock position.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    The striker is fully tensioned in the M&P just like the XD.

Jim

I don't know how true it is but I read that Police Forces require their service pistols be classified DAO.

Quote Originally Posted by CVarner View Post
    I don't know how true it is but I read that Police Forces require their service pistols be classified DAO.
    depends on the agency or department.

Links