Ruger P90DC question

Ruger P90DC question

This is a discussion on Ruger P90DC question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recieved a Ruger P90DC .45 in a trade. Actually, more like a gift, as the previous owner wasn't very pleased with it, and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By texasleaguer
  • 1 Post By craze
  • 1 Post By texasleaguer
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: Ruger P90DC question

Ruger P90DC question

I just recieved a Ruger P90DC .45 in a trade. Actually, more like a gift, as the previous owner wasn't very pleased with it, and kinda forced me to take it. At 50 bucks, it gets gift status. I haven't heard much about these, and from what he said, they weren't that great.
    Since I never believe what I hear, I headed out back to my range and put 200rds through it. I used up every reload, unknown and old .45 ammo I had laying around: ball, hollow point, wad and semi wad cutter. This thing ate everything, hit exactly where I was aiming, and didn't produce one hiccup. While the DA trigger takes some getting used to, and the take up on SA does also, once I figured out, it became a downright pleasure to pull the trigger. And about the trigger, it's as wide as my Gold Cup, so my muscle memory is even pleased.
    While I'm a life long Colt 1911 shooter, this Ruger has kinda won me over. If something was to happen, God forbid, and I had to turn over a gun, it would be better to let go of this thing than one of my beloved Colts.
    I can't understand the negatives. Are there any problems I can expect?
    Colt Commander LW. I think shooting twice is just plain silly.

Quote Originally Posted by texasleaguer View Post
    I just recieved a Ruger P90DC .45 in a trade. Actually, more like a gift, as the previous owner wasn't very pleased with it, and kinda forced me to take it. At 50 bucks, it gets gift status. I haven't heard much about these, and from what he said, they weren't that great.
    Since I never believe what I hear, I headed out back to my range and put 200rds through it. I used up every reload, unknown and old .45 ammo I had laying around: ball, hollow point, wad and semi wad cutter. This thing ate everything, hit exactly where I was aiming, and didn'r produce one hiccup. While the DA trigger takes some getting used to, and the take up on SA does also, once I figured out, it became a downright pleasure to pull the trigger. And about the trigger, it's as wide as my Gold Cup, so my muscle memory is even pleased.
    While I'm a life long Colt 1911 shooter, this Ruger has kinda won me over. If something was to happen, God forbid, and I hand to turn over a gun, it would be better to let go of this thing than one of my beloved Colts.
    I can't understand the negatives. Are there any problems I can expect?
    What do you want to "expect" out of a $50 pistol? LOL! Hey.....best pistol I ever had before CC was a P89DC. I kinda still wish I had it just to throw under the rug. They are dependable, rather large, and loose tolerances.....but get the job done. I never had any issues with mine. If you can find one for $350 now used I'd say it's a good buy. Rare now it seems. Excellent range, field, or truck pistol. Low maintenance and fires every time. My recommendation? Keep it 'cause at what you paid you've got a gem that not many even think about anymore.

I have the p95-its a no thrills,big,wide ,ugly but dependable and very accurate gun.Its my Red Headed stepchild of all my pistols. I like it!
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

I have the KP90 with the manual safety, basically the same thing. Mine is pretty darned accurate, and like you said, it eats anything you wanna feed it. It's one I like to leave in the pickup.

Plus, if you run outta ammo, you could really clobber a bad guy with it, as it would make a good club too! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What do you want to "expect" out of a $50 pistol? LOL! Hey.....best pistol I ever had before CC was a P89DC. I kinda still wish I had it just to throw under the rug. They are dependable, rather large, and loose tolerances.....but get the job done. I never had any issues with mine. If you can find one for $350 now used I'd say it's a good buy. Rare now it seems. Excellent range, field, or truck pistol. Low maintenance and fires every time. My recommendation? Keep it 'cause at what you paid you've got a gem that not many even think about anymore.
    Even at ten bucks, if the gun's a dud it'll go down the road. But I kinda figured it wouldn't be, being a ruger and all. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    I have the p95-its a no thrills,big,wide ,ugly but dependable and very accurate gun.Its my Red Headed stepchild of all my pistols. I like it!
    Ugly is an understatement. My other guns threw it outof the safe last night...lol. But it'll be a keeper.
    yooperdug likes this.

I've got a p94 .40 cal. The slide to frame fit is a bit loose but barrel to slide lockup is tight. It's a solid shooter and every bit as reliable as my Glock26 or xd 45. Mine actually has a pretty decent trigger. It has a very smooth double action pull. I don't carry it at all, it was the first centerfire handgun I ever purchased. I do pull it out of the closet and shoot it once in a while. It's heft and meaty grip make it a pleasure to shoot but not so much to stick in the waist band.
    yooperdug likes this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    I have the KP90 with the manual safety, basically the same thing. Mine is pretty darned accurate, and like you said, it eats anything you wanna feed it. It's one I like to leave in the pickup.

Plus, if you run outta ammo, you could really clobber a bad guy with it, as it would make a good club too! :)
    I can see it being very good at providing plenty of brass for reloads. And the club part is right. Puts new meaning in the term "Pistol Whipped".
    yooperdug likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by texasleaguer View Post
    Even at ten bucks, if the gun's a dud it'll go down the road. But I kinda figured it wouldn't be, being a ruger and all. Thanks for the reply.
    Never found a pistol for sale at $10, and I've had a few "dud"s over the years, but not many. Ruger P series is good IMO...just not exactly for carry. It kicks butt in all other categories as far as I'm concerned.
    yooperdug likes this.

Links