Springfield XDS - Considering making the switch from 9 to 45

This is a discussion on Springfield XDS - Considering making the switch from 9 to 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rollo, didn't you start with a G26, go through a SP101 (maybe others) and then go back to a G26? Was there an XD in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Springfield XDS - Considering making the switch from 9 to 45

Rollo, didn't you start with a G26, go through a SP101 (maybe others) and then go back to a G26? Was there an XD in there somewhere?

I notice a period of adjustment when switching guns. I'd be inclined to go to a Glock .45, as I'm a Glock 9mm shooter. If I had an XD 9mm then I'd be inclined to go with another XD in .45. I think the grass may look greener on the other side, and a new platform/new caliber can look pretty attractive, but if I'd stick to the platform I've already been carrying for years. Just a thought. I haven't shot an XD, and I'm not you. You probably thought of this already.

In any case I'd hang on to my G26 if I were you.

2. Remove Ads

At this point I've lost track of every gun that was my EDC lol. I know there were at least 2 repeats if I recall but never a XD. The G26 and the G19 I think. Both were sold and then repurchased. I've learned my lesson and adopted a new philosophy (which I also happily post in all the "Should I sell/trade abc for xyz threads") that you should never trade/sell a gun that you like. So, that being said my G26 def isn't going anywhere but I have to admit that I am starting to get drawn in a bit by the super thin single stack craze. The leaner I get the harder it is to conceal without adjusting my wardrobe more than I want to. I know that (and I have even said more than once) that I think the length of grip plays more of a role in concealment than the width of the pistol does, but that doesn't totally rule width out as a factor. I'd be interested to try both a double stack and a single stack to see if I can notice much different.

It's quite possible that I won't like the XDS because it's pretty light for a .45 and that leads me to believe that it's not going to be controllable and fast follow up shots are important to me. This leads me to maybe check out a single stack 9 but honestly...there isn't one on the market that really blows my skirt up... Id buy a S&W shield in a heartbeat if it weren't for the bloody thumb safety. I know... people say just train with it or just leave it off but that's just not for me. It's a point of failure that I don't think needs to be there. Same with the XDS's grip safety but to a lesser extent because by nature it's impossible to forget to turn it off. The PPS is IMO to big for what it is. I've looked at the CM9 and at present it's only single stack 9 that I'm interested in. I would prefer the extra round in the CW9 but I also know that the longer grip will make printing more of an issue. But then again the CW9 and XDS are almost the same exact height. I wonder if that takes into account the magazine in the CW9. The nice thing is that as it stands right now I don't NEED to find a new carry so I am in no hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Rollo, didn't you start with a G26, go through a SP101 (maybe others) and then go back to a G26? Was there an XD in there somewhere?

I notice a period of adjustment when switching guns. I'd be inclined to go to a Glock .45, as I'm a Glock 9mm shooter. If I had an XD 9mm then I'd be inclined to go with another XD in .45. I think the grass may look greener on the other side, and a new platform/new caliber can look pretty attractive, but if I'd stick to the platform I've already been carrying for years. Just a thought. I haven't shot an XD, and I'm not you. You probably thought of this already.

In any case I'd hang on to my G26 if I were you.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INHUMAN View Post
    I dont understand exactly what that means?
    Basically I think that quoted part of the OP's post is the key to the whole thing.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I also did several iterations of CCW.

I found that with the right holster you can comfortably
    conceal a high percentage of the available pistols.

The Crossbreed holster is that answer.

I also found that with my attire, one pistol did not meet the
    Needs. I needed a main EDC, and then something pocketable

After shooting many, many pistols, I chose the M&P45c for my
    EDC. I chose the CM9 for my 2nd pistol.

I carry one or the other.

I am 100% happy with my M&P

Its a personal best choice from many pistols that could have worked IWB

Now for the pocket carry choice

The kahr is a different story.

The kahr is reliable and is accurate.... But

For me, the trigger doesnt light me up, its smooth, but......

The long trigger and reset make double taps (a need for a 9mm)
    very hard to do

In my opinion, there arent many choices on the market for a pocketable
    9mm (my minimum caliber)

At this time, its the best and only choice for this application. (i havent yet shot
    A boberg)

Consider making your choices of made in America...... Keeping vital
    manufacturing jobs in the US
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    Why not look at the M&P45C and call it a day

In a crossbreed holster it is very comfortable

For the days you want to pocket carry have a nice 38 or small 9 (I chose a Kahr CM9)

Both made in America...... Keeping vital manufacturing jobs in the US
    I actually carried a 45c for a while a year or so ago. I liked it for the most part but right now I am looking for something a bit smaller with a bit less bulk. I do have a kel tec p3at which I pocket carry when I need to go that route. I am a huge fan of the tiny .380's and think everyone should own one as a "no reason to NOT have a gun" gun.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Rollo - I know you don't want this to be a caliber thing, but...I would really suggest you stay with the G26. If you were not happy with the capacity of the SP101, and you do not want to carry a BUG, I can predict that you will fall out of love with the low-capacity XDS .45 fairly quickly.

The main reason I got my .45 for duty use is because the heavier .45's POI more closely matches the POA when going through things like windshield glass. That's it.

The G26 is arguably the best CCW pistol out there. The grass ain't greener...
    Rollo, BugDude and tkruf like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Rollo - I know you don't want this to be a caliber thing, but...I would really suggest you stay with the G26. If you were not happy with the capacity of the SP101, and you do not want to carry a BUG, I can predict that you will fall out of love with the low-capacity XDS .45 fairly quickly.

The main reason I got my .45 for duty use is because the heavier .45's POI more closely matches the POA when going through things like windshield glass. That's it.

The G26 is arguably the best CCW pistol out there. The grass ain't greener...
    I think to some extent I have gotten over the capacity issue. Honestly It will be hard to tell unless I start carrying a lower capacity gun than the G26 so I can really get a feel for whether I will be comfortable with it or not. One of my issues with the capacity of the SP101 wasn't just capacity in terms of the number of rounds that it held but also that I could never get comfortable with the reload. I practiced like CRAZY and could never get to the point that I thought I could reliably reload using a speed loader quickly and under stress. I tried both the "weak hand reload" and the "shift the gun to the weak hand and reload with the strong hand" reloads and could just never get it. I didn't like the idea of having a low capacity gun that I couldn't reload well. That's fixed to some extent with a low capacity auto as it easier (for me) to reload. In addition, I never shot it double action nearly as well as I shot my other auto's which made the capacity issue even more prominent. I loved the gun (still do) but could never really get confident with it.

That being said...You are 100 percent correct in saying "The G26 is arguably the best CCW pistol out there". I could not agree more. And I have learned my lesson from my slightly younger and dumber years... I will no longer sell one CCW gun to fund another one. If I do indeed decide to purchase a XDS, my Glock 26 will def not be going anywhere. The XDS will go through a fairly long evaluation period where I will decide if I can shoot is as well as my 26. If so then I'll carry it but NOT sell or trade my 26. If not, it will get sold at a small loss. I'm fairly lucky in that our local/state gun forum has a buy/sell/trade section that is pretty active so it wouldn't be hard for me to sell. I've never sat on a gun for more than a week that I was trying to sell or trade. Unfortunately, as it stands right now I regret the majority of those sales/trades, but they have taught me to never trade/sale a gun I like. As always, I appreciate your perspective 10th!

Nothing wrong with trying something new - as long as you do indeed hang onto that G26!

Take a look at this thread. The video posted therein is relevant to your dilemma:

FBI Standards: Should we care?

I particularly like his point that "more ammo in the gun = more time in the fight." Even though a semi-auto is faster to reload than a revolver, it still takes some time. Just another thing to consider...

Good luck, and have fun with it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Longer in the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I remember a while ago an article (or maybe it was just something he said) by Gabe Suarez saying (And I’m seriously paraphrasing here) “I prefer 9mm because I prefer capacity because it keeps you in the fight longer”.
    If I'm ever in a gunfight I want the opposite of Suarez - I want the fight to be over quicker and not longer. The longer the fight lasts, the greater the odds that I could be shot, maybe more than once.

If given the choice between a 9mm and a .45 in this hypothetical gunfight, I would take the .45. I know from experience that I can shoot the .45 as accurately as the 9mm, so "shot placement" is not a variable. I just want the first shot to have the maximum effect on the attacker, in hopes that he will drop out of the fight and not hurt me before he goes down. I know from looking at gel tests and ballistics tables that the best .45 hollowpoint will make a larger, deeper hole in him than a 9mm, so that is what I want to use. I just want it to be over.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I don't think that's how he meant it. Maybe, I could be wrong. I think what he was saying was that you want to have the ABILITY to stay in the fight as long as possible if NEED be, not that you want the fight to last a long time. However, I think in general that Suraez classes are generally not geared as much towards the low risk civilian CCW holder as it is the higher risk user such as police, civilian contractors, private security, etc. Those are the type of people that have a higher chance of being in a "shootout" where the ability to stay in the fight longer is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If I'm ever in a gunfight I want the opposite of Suarez - I want the fight to be over quicker and not longer. The longer the fight lasts, the greater the odds that I could be shot, maybe more than once.

If given the choice between a 9mm and a .45 in this hypothetical gunfight, I would take the .45. I know from experience that I can shoot the .45 as accurately as the 9mm, so "shot placement" is not a variable. I just want the first shot to have the maximum effect on the attacker, in hopes that he will drop out of the fight and not hurt me before he goes down. I know from looking at gel tests and ballistics tables that the best .45 hollowpoint will make a larger, deeper hole in him than a 9mm, so that is what I want to use. I just want it to be over.

Rollo, I waffled back and forth on caliber and capacity issues. I have tried and tried to like several 45s, but I just can't attain a level of accuracy with it that I am confident in. RIA 191, G30, and now G36. Could I effectively defend myself with my G36? Sure. Could I definitively put a round exactly where I wanted to if I HAD to like most of my other guns? I don't have that level of confidence. So, for me, I keep on going back to 2 guns. XD40sc and 442. The 40 holds 9+1 and I have six mags. Usually carry 2 extra. My 442 is my "no excuse to not carry a gun" gun. I was a revolver guy for 20 years before getting into semis, so my reloading skills with speed loaders is only about half a second longer than a semi from last shot to next shot when reloading.

So, for me, all the 45s that have come and gone, and the one still in the safe, I always come back to these two guns for carry and I often carry them both together. As Forrest Gump said, "like peas and carrots." I've got 3 9mms and I like them too, and I have no issue with the caliber. They make a lot of trips to the range and occasional carry (the PT709 is my deep conceal piece). I may end up going back to 9mm full time one day. For now, the 40 seems to fit me pretty well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Whatever you do, hang on to that Glock 26. I usually carry my Ruger LCR, but when I go to semi-auto I choose 1st my Kahr PM9, then my Glock 26. I have an XD9sc but find it heavy. If Springfield comes out with an XDs 9mm (and I'm sure they will), I will give it a hard look. If it's 9mm, slim, light, and reliable, it's a good carry gun. Kahr PM9, CM9, S&W M&P Shield, Beretta Nano (which I've not even held one, but the bore axis seems a little high to me), but I'd like to see an XDs 9mm. Good luck with the .45. I think you'll find it hard for followup shots.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Whatever you do, hang on to that Glock 26. I usually carry my Ruger LCR, but when I go to semi-auto I choose 1st my Kahr PM9, then my Glock 26. I have an XD9sc but find it heavy. If Springfield comes out with an XDs 9mm (and I'm sure they will), I will give it a hard look. If it's 9mm, slim, light, and reliable, it's a good carry gun. Kahr PM9, CM9, S&W M&P Shield, Beretta Nano (which I've not even held one, but the bore axis seems a little high to me), but I'd like to see an XDs 9mm. Good luck with the .45. I think you'll find it hard for followup shots.
    No worries there, the G26 DEFINITELY not going anywhere. Honestly, the more I think about it the more the idea of a compact, lightweight .45 doesn't seem like a good fit for me. I was at a friends house doing some shooting on his property yesterday and it reminded me of just how easy shooting my 9mm's are... At this point I'm thinking that if I make any type of switch it will be to a smaller 9mm, not a .45. Damn you smith for putting a thumb safety on the shield!!

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    My first question is what would be the effects of shooting a .45 out of a 3.3in barrel? Isn't the .45 designed for a 5 inch barrel like the 1911? I would pick a 9mm over other calibers due to it being easier to control during rapid fire. The only way you are going to ensure with 100% certainty that the BG is going to stop is to sever the nerves between the brain and the hand that has the weapon in it. Other than that I see variables in play that could hinder an immediate stop upon shooting a BG such as drugs, their mindset in killing, their will to survive, etc. As for bigger bullets make bigger holes, I don't see it as big of a deal as putting the bullet where it really needs to go. They may bleed out in the end, but possibly not before killing you. I just don't see the need in switching defensive weapons that you are comfortable with for something new. Lastly unless you are going someplace where you are more likely to get into a gun fight, I don't see capacity being a huge deal for CC. I see these scenarios about flash mobs and zombie hordes, I just don't see that as being all that realistic for a CCer to face. I carry at least during the summer a J-frame, if I can't solve my problem within 5 shots, I don't see having extra ammo in the gun as doing a whole lot of good.

I'd love it if Glock came out with a single stack version of the G26. I'd jump. Since they haven't, I'm waiting for Springfield to bring out the XDs 9mm. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. When they do, I may have to pick one up. The Shield is interesting, but I also don't like the thumb safety, just as I don't like the thumb safety on the Ruger LC9. I shoot my PM9 just fine, but would like a better trigger reset.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links