Springfield XDS - Considering making the switch from 9 to 45 - Page 3

Springfield XDS - Considering making the switch from 9 to 45

This is a discussion on Springfield XDS - Considering making the switch from 9 to 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tkruf I'd love it if Glock came out with a single stack version of the G26. I'd jump. Since they haven't, I'm ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Springfield XDS - Considering making the switch from 9 to 45

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I'd love it if Glock came out with a single stack version of the G26. I'd jump. Since they haven't, I'm waiting for Springfield to bring out the XDs 9mm. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. When they do, I may have to pick one up. The Shield is interesting, but I also don't like the thumb safety, just as I don't like the thumb safety on the Ruger LC9. I shoot my PM9 just fine, but would like a better trigger reset.
    It's funny, out of the reasonable amount of single stack 9mm on the market none of the really blow my skirt up

Nano - Blocky and ugly. Safety
    LC9 - Crappy trigger. Safety
    PF9 - Crappy Trigger. Questionable quality
    PPS - I hate that stupid trigger guard mag release
    DB9 - Almost TOO small. Questionable quality
    CM9/CW9 - I'm considering one but just having a hard time getting excited about them. I don't know why.
    XDS (in 9) - I'll have to wait and see.

Maybe I'm just too picky.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    It's funny, out of the reasonable amount of single stack 9mm on the market none of the really blow my skirt up

Nano - Blocky and ugly. Safety
    LC9 - Crappy trigger. Safety
    PF9 - Crappy Trigger. Questionable quality
    PPS - I hate that stupid trigger guard mag release
    DB9 - Almost TOO small. Questionable quality
    CM9/CW9 - I'm considering one but just having a hard time getting excited about them. I don't know why.
    XDS (in 9) - I'll have to wait and see.

Maybe I'm just too picky.
    I'm another one that doesn't care for external safeties. On the Kahrs (I've had a PM9 & P45), their triggers seemed revolver-like to me (Practically no reset). The Diamondback's interesting, but I think the jury's still up in the air about the quality (Plus, I think they have a short warranty (I think).

I would think the XDs 9mm would be a good one. If the .45 is 21 oz & 1" wide, I imagine the 9mm version would be even thinner & lighter (Sub 20 oz?).

I like .45s & carried one for some time (For work), but always seemed to go to a 9mm (Or sometimes a snubnose .38, though not as much after time) when not working. Part of it was/is capacity. I fully understand people saying that it's highly unlikely they'd need high capacity, but I vividly recall an incident that involved 2 males with a 3rd member in the background. Thankfully, it didn't escalate, but had it, 5 rounds or 5+1 rounds of any pistol caliber might not have done the job. My Glock 26 (Which I've had for 12 yrs or so now) has been quite adequate, but it isn't a pocket gun, nor thin.

Having said all that, the XDs 45 is still of interest to me, but I definitely want to handle one, at least, first.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I keep forgetting that my Shield has a safety. I tried it a couple times when I first bought it, left it off, and basically forgot it was there.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Rollo, regarding the nano...it may be blocky and ugly, but it doesn't have an external safety.
    I'm also waiting to see the xds, though I'm more interested in the 9mm version that's supposed to be out later this year.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Rollo, regarding the nano...it may be blocky and ugly, but it doesn't have an external safety.
    I'm also waiting to see the xds, though I'm more interested in the 9mm version that's supposed to be out later this year.
    I as well am intrigued by the 9mm version. I think right now my plan is going to be to shoot the XDS in .45 when it comes out if I can rent one or borrow one. If not I'll probably just hold off for the 9mm version. But who knows... I say that now but the second the thing comes out I may lose my mind and rush tot he gun store to buy one lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I fired off an email to Springfield Armory inquiring about when the 9mm XDs is going to come out. This was the reply I got back:

"At this time we are being told the 9mm XD-S will be fall/winter timeframe. Please keep an eye on our website for further information." reply from Jacob Wolf, Dealer Assistance Team, Springfield Armory.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I fired off an email to Springfield Armory inquiring about when the 9mm XDs is going to come out. This was the reply I got back:

"At this time we are being told the 9mm XD-S will be fall/winter timeframe. Please keep an eye on our website for further information." reply from Jacob Wolf, Dealer Assistance Team, Springfield Armory.
    So call it March of next year when you see them in stores.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    I like .45s & carried one for some time (For work), but always seemed to go to a 9mm (Or sometimes a snubnose .38, though not as much after time) when not working. Part of it was/is capacity. I fully understand people saying that it's highly unlikely they'd need high capacity, but I vividly recall an incident that involved 2 males with a 3rd member in the background. Thankfully, it didn't escalate, but had it, 5 rounds or 5+1 rounds of any pistol caliber might not have done the job. My Glock 26 (Which I've had for 12 yrs or so now) has been quite adequate, but it isn't a pocket gun, nor thin.

Having said all that, the XDs 45 is still of interest to me, but I definitely want to handle one, at least, first.
    Of the hundreds of accounts of civilian CCW I've read, I don't recall a single case where the bad guys hung around to find out what the capacity of the CCW was.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    Of the hundreds of accounts of civilian CCW I've read, I don't recall a single case where the bad guys hung around to find out what the capacity of the CCW was.
    I do know of a particularly horrific civilian defensive situation where a father emptied his revolver into an attacker who invaded the family's parked vehicle (armed with a shotgun), and it still was not enough. The fight spilled out of the vehicle, hand to hand, until the father managed to get the shotgun away from the attacker, and shoot him with it. Unfortunately, one of the children in the vehicle was killed in the exchange of gunfire, by one of the father's own bullets.

Suffice to say that more bullets are better than less.

The oft-quoted "average" of 3 shots means that there are some incidents when there are fewer shots fired (many with zero) - but that there are also those incidents with more, perhaps many more.

Within reason, you should carry as much ammo in your gun, ready to go, as possible - given your circumstances.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    Capacity isn't an issue if its presence (Not necessarily its use) deterred the fight. I fully agree with that. My comment was a personal experience that had it escalated, 5 or 6 rounds might not have been enough. That was my point & is why capacity is part of the consideration for me (&/or the ability to reload quickly). For most people, capacity isn't going to be an issue. It can be, but the likelihood is very low. However, I should add that that particular incident happened in the city right next to the one I worked in at the time & I often could be seen working there (Plainclothes) or in court, so my particular situation/issues certainly aren't the same as someone else's or yours, for that matter.

I like the .45 round, but find myself carrying 9mm more & more. Carry what you want. I am interested in the XDs 45. I think the XDs 9mm version is interesting, but I already have a thin 9mm that works, so I'm not sure I'd be as interested in the 9mm version as I would the .45, but I can fully see why others would be.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Morning. New to the site, CCW for about 3 years now. I read with interest the XDs thread and thought I'd provide my thoughts. IMHO any caliber is effective with training and placement. Someone earlier stated they don't want to be shot with any caliber -- and I would agree. A well placed 22 is better than a miss with a 45. For years I carried a Kahr CW40 in the summer and an XD40SC in the fall/winter. My HD is a SW 325 45 ACP and an XD45C. When the XDs was announced I was interested but not ready to run out an buy one, I already had a CCW arrangement I was happy with. LGS called when they got an XDs in and ultimately I purchased it. 250 rounds of various flawless ammo later nd it has replaced my 40SWs as my CCW. Yes it only has 5 shot, I did order the 7 shot magazine, but imconfident tht with enough practice, 5/7 shots should be enough if the situation ever arises. The driving force behind the decision was not caliber but simple economics, I decided I only wanted one caliber to stock.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links