Anyone have a S&W 360 or 360PD

This is a discussion on Anyone have a S&W 360 or 360PD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about buying a S&W 360 and wonder if anyone here owns or has shot one. I don't want it for carry very ...

Thread: Anyone have a S&W 360 or 360PD

I've been thinking about buying a S&W 360 and wonder if anyone here owns or has shot one. I don't want it for carry very often, maybe in warm weather as I already carry a 38Chief sometimes then anyway, but just like the idea of 357 Magnum in a Airlight.
    Iv'e been told some buy the 360 and then shoot 38+p and there is nothing wrong with this, but if I buy it I want to load it with 357Magnum as I've got a 38.I'm sure the 360 is a handful, and I like my fingers and the skin attached to them, but I figure it is controlable. I shoot alot and have had the opportunity to shoot many different handguns, some of which were not fun, but haven't "lost" one yet. Besides, in a needed situation -fun to shoot- is not really my first thought. Practice with 38 loads, pack 357M. Or stick with the Chief and be happy with functional fingers. Does anyone have in insight on this and if so do you reccomend the gun?

I'm looking at the same model. I can't choose between the 360PD and the 340PD. I think the 340 looks funny, but because my sole purpose is pocket carry it will work better. I shot 5 rounds of light 38 loads and the recoil was pretty stout. I would imagine +Ps or 357 Mags would be a real handfull.

Thanks for the reply, for pocket carry I think your right and would definitly go with the 340 for the rounded back,ease of draw. I'm probally not going to pocket carry one if I get it, but really just like SA/DA so I am leaning to the 360.

I have a Taurus M85, titanium .38 special 2" ported barrel rated for +P. When I shoot .38 +P ammo in it, the recoil, muzzle snap & muzzle blast is nasty. I also have a .357 Smith L frame 686, 6" barrel. With full power 158 grain JHP ammo, recoil and muzzle blast is significant and equal or a bit worse than the lightweight snubby Taurus with +P.
    I can only imagine how difficult it would be to shoot a lightweight .357 Magnum snubbie. I believe that it would build in a flinch of mammoth proportions unless the shooter was VERY seriously trained and heavily experienced firing handguns with heavy recoil and muzzle blast. No question about the .357 magnum being the cartridge of choice in serious situations. BUT - - - Ya gotta hit yer target in an area that will motivate said target to cease and desist the behaviour that caused the confrontation.
    Only my opinion - - but It's my opinion.
    Incidentally, the .357 Smith, 686 is my bedside companion, the Taurus is the BUG and a Kimber .45 compact Stainless ll (Officers frame, 4" slide) is the main carry piece. As a qualifier of my bonafides, I use-ta be classified as a Master by the NRA before I found out that thems in that classification could really shoot!

Roger

Why is it stated that you can only use 120 grain or higher bullets in the 360/340s?

I have a 340PD and I can tell you from my experience that shooting .357's out of it can be done, but it is not a lot of fun. It felt like getting smacked in the hand with a baseball bat! After a shooting a cylinder full of .357's my hand was stinging pretty good. I have read on other forums that some shooters do end up getting cut by the gun (Cylinder release?), but it has not happened to me. I am a lefty though and this might make the difference there. Many of the guys that shoot these only do so while wearing gloves though. The 38spl + P's do just fine for me. I got the 340PD mainly as a BUG, but I also use it as a primary when the weather or dress code won't allow a larger handgun. The 340PD does look funny, especially with the Hi-Viz front sight, but it sure works great in a front pocket holster. As for the "no less than 120 grain bullets" stamping on the barrel, S&W recommends it to prevent "Premature cylinder erosion". They also recommend that you load a cylinder full and shoot all but the last round. Then check the last round to see if the bullet had become unseated from the casing due to recoil. I carry Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P's in mine and have never had a problem.

Here is a pic of my set up:

Last edited by mic214; September 9th, 2006 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Adding pictures

I have a Taurus 605 in titanium. It shoots .357 mag. I have shot Federal 130 grain hydra-shock and Remington 110 gr sjhp 38 special with it. It's strictly a carry gun. The recoil is strong but in a carry situation I doubt you would notice . I wouldn't want to spend all day shooting tin cans with it though. It is small, light and powerful. I use a Mika pocket holster and it conceals very well.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I had a 340 PD and ever qualification was a serious test of manhood. I dreaded to shoot the gun with full power load 357s and even the +P 38s stung. I finally sold it and went back to carrying an airweight 38 as my BUG. The shape and detail of the 440/640(or centenial design) makes a better concealed carry and no hammer to snag. The extra couple ounces makes it a lil easier to handle.

Just another note. Typically I am not a big fan of lasers on pistols for someone who practices and can use sights. For me I find I'm slower looking for the dot than using my sights. However that said...on small J frames I am a big fan of the laser grips. Just makes the little gun all that more friendly.

Just my opinion.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Thanks for the input from everyone, I think I'm gonna have to get one. Order this week and by next maybe I can give you some feedback '75scout on my thoughts after I shoot it. Really like your setup mic214, just looking at that convinced me. Impulse buy....

Got my 360 today, it is a handfull to say the least. While not as bad as I expected it is not "fun" to shoot. I told my friend (who works part time at gun shop) he could shoot it when it came in and he did. Loaded it with 5 corbons and went to the indoor range in back, told me when he came back up front it still had 4 in it. One shot was all he said he ever wanted with that gun he found out. He went a little hot (corbons for an 11oz 357Mag) for this gun. I shot 10 rounds with Magnum rounds (not corbon ) and will say myself I will not shoot this gun alot with full power ammo. All in all I LIKE IT ALOT!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I just went through this whole decision making process.

To make a long story short I decided to go with the S&W 642. I had heard that the airweight 357 was not fun to shoot and I was also having a problem getting in my pocker for the extra dollars. The 340PD was twice the money.

When I started to compare ballistics I decided that a 38+P loaded with Hydrashock or Powerball rounds would do the trick. I got mine new at the gun show this past weekend for a steal. I used some of the saved cash to add some custom wood grips.

I got a chance to to put some rounds throung it this weekend. I forgot the hearing protection, but what the hey right? I pulled the trigger and thought I split my skull. I can't imagine shooting the 357 with out any plugs. Not that you ever should.

I have to say that I am very happy with the purchase. I got it for a song and I will be using the extra cash to get the Springfield XD .45 that I want.

I do really like the 357 though!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Sponsored Links