To Laser or Not to Laser???

This is a discussion on To Laser or Not to Laser??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my CCH should be in any day now! I will have to admit that I tend to run to the mailbox everyday like the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: To Laser or Not to Laser???

To Laser or Not to Laser???

Well, my CCH should be in any day now!
    I will have to admit that I tend to run to the mailbox everyday like the kid waitin' for the Wells Fargo Wagon in the show The Music Man! Gettin' a little anxious!!!

I have finally chose the handgun I want (Thanks to all of you here for your advice!)
    I am pretty firm on getting the Ruger LC9.
    It feels good to my hand, and have no problems shooting it.

I have not bought it yet. I am in a quandry (ohh Big word , for me!)
    Thus, I am asking again for you gallant fellows (and ladies too!)
    for some sage advice.

Should I opt to get the model with the Lasermax/Crimson Trace or not?

I realize that I can always buy the stock LC9 and opt to install a laser later. However, it is not that much more expensive to just buy it with it already on.

Is there that much of an advantage to having a laser?

I feel that the act of drawing a weapon should be enough to get your attention and possibly deter/defuse a situation, however, I can also see that if I light you up with that red dot that I would get your attention too.

I just honestly have no feelings one way or the other as to lasers.

I would like to see your opinions on this matter.

Here is a little background on me and my situation (if it makes a hill of beans difference).

I am female. But in no way am I a girlie girl (no offense to those who are)
    Fairly proficient with firearms (by no means a pro, but working on it)
    I currently shoot a S&W 915. Also own a Savage 7mm-.08 and a Mossberg 500 A. I live in a fairly safe suburb of KC. However throughout my life, I have been raped, one attempted robbery (deterred by the S&W), one attempted carjacking (good driving skills got me out of that one) and two break-in attempts at my home (one deterred by mean dog, other ran when confronted in my back yard).
    I do not tend to go out at night. I do travel often. A lot of this travel is either by myself or with my 11 y.o. son. This travel takes me to rural areas often as a matter of course for my work. I am a photographer (a whole different meaning to point and shoot!) so I tend to get off the beaten path to see this great country.

So, that is me in a nutshell.

I don't know if this issue has been discussed before and beat to death. I just have not been able to find any real opinions on the matter.
    Yes, I am a newbie here. So, please don't flame me for asking.

No Trolls please. I am not in the mood and won't rise to it. I am not going to justify myself for asking questions that I feel are pertinent.

Thanks for all your advice!!!!

Catt

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catt101 View Post
    Well, my CCH should be in any day now!
    I will have to admit that I tend to run to the mailbox everyday like the kid waitin' for the Wells Fargo Wagon in the show The Music Man! Gettin' a little anxious!!!

I have finally chose the handgun I want (Thanks to all of you here for your advice!)
    I am pretty firm on getting the Ruger LC9.
    It feels good to my hand, and have no problems shooting it.

I have not bought it yet. I am in a quandry (ohh Big word , for me!)
    Thus, I am asking again for you gallant fellows (and ladies too!)
    for some sage advice.

Should I opt to get the model with the Lasermax/Crimson Trace or not?

I realize that I can always buy the stock LC9 and opt to install a laser later. However, it is not that much more expensive to just buy it with it already on.

Is there that much of an advantage to having a laser?

I feel that the act of drawing a weapon should be enough to get your attention and possibly deter/defuse a situation, however, I can also see that if I light you up with that red dot that I would get your attention too.

I just honestly have no feelings one way or the other as to lasers.

I would like to see your opinions on this matter.

Here is a little background on me and my situation (if it makes a hill of beans difference).

I am female. But in no way am I a girlie girl (no offense to those who are)
    Fairly proficient with firearms (by no means a pro, but working on it)
    I currently shoot a S&W 915. Also own a Savage 7mm-.08 and a Mossberg 500 A. I live in a fairly safe suburb of KC. However throughout my life, I have been raped, one attempted robbery (deterred by the S&W), one attempted carjacking (good driving skills got me out of that one) and two break-in attempts at my home (one deterred by mean dog, other ran when confronted in my back yard).
    I do not tend to go out at night. I do travel often. A lot of this travel is either by myself or with my 11 y.o. son. This travel takes me to rural areas often as a matter of course for my work. I am a photographer (a whole different meaning to point and shoot!) so I tend to get off the beaten path to see this great country.

So, that is me in a nutshell.

I don't know if this issue has been discussed before and beat to death. I just have not been able to find any real opinions on the matter.
    Yes, I am a newbie here. So, please don't flame me for asking.

No Trolls please. I am not in the mood and won't rise to it. I am not going to justify myself for asking questions that I feel are pertinent.

Thanks for all your advice!!!!

Catt
    Congrats on getting your CCL. I personally have not shot the LC9, but I do have the LCP, both good choices.

Is there that much of an advantage to a laser? Some would say no, with practice you can get back on target for your second shot very quickly after your first shot. Point and shoot practice will also eliminate the need for a sighting device. And the little red dot isn't as obvious as they make it out to be in the movies. In the heat of battle you're not looking to see if there are red dots anywhere.

That being said, I think that a laser can be an advantage until you practice enough not to need one.

Good luck.

I have a laser on my LCP. It's great for practice: you can improve your trigger control with dry firing and see if the act of pulling the trigger throws your aim off.

And the reality of a life or death situation is that you are not going to be focusing on the front sight, but on the threat, and the laser suits that role better since the dot is sitting on your target.

Between the CrimsonTrace and Lasermax, I opted for Lasermax. I like that I don't have to have it on in a situation where I don't want the laser giving away my position. Activating it is very easy since the button is right where your trigger finger rests when you draw, so I practice pushing the button as I'm bringing the gun up on target, and it's an easy habit to form.
    stancehold likes this.

Guess what just came in today's mail????
    Whoo Hoo!!! The wait is over!!!
    ( BTW- wait was 83 days for Kansas)

Now I just go to local DMV and get a pretty picture taken, and wait for 3-4 days for them to mail it to me!!!
    Then off to buy a new gun!

I understand the point about how a laser can be a good training tool. That was not something I had thought about before.
    Thanks!

Catt
    Last edited by catt101; May 12th, 2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added date info.
    stancehold likes this.

VIP Member
    If there is a major downside to a Crimson Trace, I have not discovered it.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

i think you should get the laser. i had a laser on my H&K P-7-PSP, and i found it distracting, but i feel that with more practice the laser would have been an asset. like you said, it's not that much more money. to repeat previous comments, it can be a useful traing tool, and i can envision a number of scenarios where having it could be a lifesaver, especially with a smallish gun like your LC-9.

Lasers are for sharks, so no laser.

VIP Member
    The opinions on lasers runs from love to hate, but what matters is how you feel and would they help or hinder you? I came across a CT laser on sale and it happened to fit my wifes S&W 642. She shoots well using her sights, point shooting, or using the laser. She's happy with it and if it bolsters her abilities then that's even better.

With a sudden threat it's doubtful you'll use the laser, but it would be there if you needed it.

Good luck........think, train and practice
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

The only thing I found a laser usefull for was to teach my wife trigger control & playing with the cat's. You already have firearm experience already, so IMO a set of XS big dot night sights would be suffecient rather than a laser. With a long trigger pull like the LC9 has it would help you learn the trigger pull faster but other than that it would be distracting IMO.I've shot a LC9 once and shot it good while the long trigger pull was a non issue since I shoot my wife's S&W 642 snubby often.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

VIP Member
    Nice to see you back catt. As to getting the gun with the laser, or without, it is strictly a matter of preference. If you do get the laser version, I would recommend you learn to shoot and become proficient with it with the laser turned off. Once you've mastered it with the open sights, then train with the laser. The logic being, that if your batteries die, or the laser malfunctions, you are still proficient with the open sights. HMO, for what it's worth.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You stated in the OP you are fairly proficient with firearms so I would look at it as just another tool in your kit. I have the CT Laserguard on my LC9 and quite pleased with it. I would never rely on just the laser because it could fail at the most critical time but that said it is a great assist when the lighting is poor or you are looking through bifocals. In self defense you will not have the luxury of choosing when and how it happens and you may find yourself knocked to the ground or in my case without my glasses and that is when the laser can give you the extra advantage.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I have a Sig with a laser on it and even though I may not use the laser in a self defense situaition, I leave it there as a tool in my box.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I am female. But in no way am I a girlie girl
    Thank god because most of us are guyie guys so we think like guys. No really it is a personal decision and since most SD situations are in low light situations lasers have their place. They do aid in situations like shooting around corners or when you can't get a sight picture. The down side is they add bulk to the gun and give away a position in a HD situation

Cornered Cat - The Case for Lasers

Cornered Cat - Practicing with a Laser

OP - First, sorry that you had to live through a rape.

As far as lasers go, ALL my defensive pistols wear Crimson Trace Laser grips or Laser guards. I've tried others, and feel the CT units are the best, because they go on simply by gripping the gun.

I've seen the results of using a laser when I took a low light pistol class last year. I shot better than all the other students, despite using my "hard to shoot well" little LCP. Due to the laser.

While I would not count on it, there are numerous documented cases of lasers helping cause an attacker to flee, without actually needing to pull the trigger. If that happens, then great...less paperwork that way.

I have also yet to hear of a LE agency that issued lasers, later decide that they were not worth it, and withdraw them from service.

Read the articles I linked to, and decide for yourself. Pay particular attention to the "How to train" article - many of those who hate on lasers do not understand how to properly train with them.

Lastly, I will leave you with the words of my dad, who has a hard time seeing the front sight on a handgun, due to needing bifocals - "Holy <bad word>! This is like cheating!" Me - "Yup, that's kinda the point."
    Mike1956 and ppkheat like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runt View Post
    The only thing I found a laser usefull for was to teach my wife trigger control & playing with the cat's. You already have firearm experience already, so IMO a set of XS big dot night sights would be suffecient rather than a laser. With a long trigger pull like the LC9 has it would help you learn the trigger pull faster but other than that it would be distracting IMO.I've shot a LC9 once and shot it good while the long trigger pull was a non issue since I shoot my wife's S&W 642 snubby often.
    Lasers and night sights fill different roles. My 19 has both a laser and Trijicons, while my 17 has a laser, BUIS, and Delta Point, but no night sights. Night sights are worthless if one cannot put an eyball behind them, while laser sighting works from any position and posture.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links