Returning to the revolver

This is a discussion on Returning to the revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been away from this forum for far too long. Been busy with work and some other hobbies. I have been shooting and carrying ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Returning to the revolver

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

I have been away from this forum for far too long. Been busy with work and some other hobbies. I have been shooting and carrying semi autos for many years. I decided it was time to return to my roots and pick up a new revolver. This pistol was purchased to be carried while in the woods and on fishing trips. However that may change and it might be carried much more. I originally set out trying to purchase a Ruger GP100 4" stainless. I could not find one any were around my area. So I started calling around to dealers in neighboring towns. Still no luck. So I expand my search to shops a couple hours from my home. Not a single 4" to be found.
    However one dealer did have a 3" Wiley Clapp Talo Edition. I had seen pictures of this pistol but had not layed hands on one. So I jump in the car and head over to take a look. I was pretty sure I wanted a 4" and was wasting my time. Well let me tell you as soon as I laid eyes on it and held it in my hands that was all she wrote. I get all glassy eyed, starting drooling, stammering a little you know all the things you should never do before you starting negotiating the price of a gun. Well the dealer did come down on the price to a point I was pleased with. So I filled out the papers and handed over some money and out the door I go with my new friend. Can't get to the range because I'm on call today so have to stay close. I'm working the night shift tonight at the hospital and leaving on a trip Monday. So I won't make it to the range for a few weeks. Here are a few pictures I snapped this morning.

I will let you all know how it shoots when I get back
    Mike
    Last edited by fotomaker57; May 12th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Purrrrrrrrrrrrty!
    I too have been carrying semi autos for years but there is someting to be said for "old school" tools. I must say that at times (like yesterday) I just feel like carrying a revolver.
    I don't know why it is but for me a S&W looks best in a four inch but that GP just looks perfect.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Three inch revolvers

Your three inch Ruger is very good looking, and should give years of good service. The three inch barrel .357 magnum is almost the perfect carry length and caliber in a revolver, and has quite a good following. Several years ago I happened to find the 3 inch S&W model 66 shown below and was lucky to find it. The 2.5 inch version of the same gun is more common, and the 3 inch item sells for a premium. I have a couple of the 2.5 inchers, but the 3 inch balances better.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Never been a big Ruger fan, however I really like the set up of that one!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

That is one sexy looking handgun...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Great looking SP101, you have yourself a fantastic firearm there...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Great looking SP101, you have yourself a fantastic firearm there...
    Thank you but it is a GP100
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

That is really pretty! Now, if you overnight it to me, I have some time free, I'll shoot the devil out of it, write up my report and send it back to you, save you all kind of time!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    Thank you but it is a GP100
    With a extra shot too boot ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    That is really pretty! Now, if you overnight it to me, I have some time free, I'll shoot the devil out of it, write up my report and send it back to you, save you all kind of time!
    Hiram, Your such a nice and thoughtful guy. I'll bet you'll even supply the ammo to put it through it's paces!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

That is pretty piece and I prefer Ruger revolver's . I've been drooling over an engraved Ruger SP 101.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

VIP Member
    Beautiful gun, I like the grips and the sights they put on it.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wow, that's really nice!!!!

Both are nice looking guns! Theres something to be said for the simplicity,but dependability of a revolver. i carry my 3" 357 in my fishing vest as well.
    fotomaker57 likes this.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Love it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links