Ruger LCR Front Sight Swap Tips

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR Front Sight Swap Tips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently changed out the factory front sight on my LCR. I struggled with removing the front sight crosspin as well as re-installing it. Here ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GringoEd
  • 1 Post By GringoEd
  • 1 Post By GoBigOrange

Thread: Ruger LCR Front Sight Swap Tips

Ruger LCR Front Sight Swap Tips

I recently changed out the factory front sight on my LCR. I struggled with removing the front sight crosspin as well as re-installing it. Here are some tips that helped me:
    1. Put the barrel of the LCR in the vice jaws, not the frame as shown the XS Factory Youtube video. Vice jaws must be well padded, but this is a more solid setup.
    2. Once driving out the crosspin with the supplied 1/16" punch is started, it is much easier to finish pin removal using a 3/64" drill bit or punch. The factory punch works, but smaller is easier.
    3.When starting to install the crosspin in the new sight, I could not get the sight to stay on top of the gun while pounding on the pin. Every thing was so loose, it just kept falling on the floor. My solution was the hold the sight and pin in my left hand on top of a wood block while tapping the pin into the sight with a hammer held in my right hand. Once the pin "stuck" in the hole, I put the assembly on the front sight tenon and finished using a 1/16" pin punch.initially, don't pound the pin into the sight so that it protrudes, or you will have interference getting it to clear the tenon.if that happens, just tap it back out a smidgen til it clears the hole.
    The new XS Dot sight is great . Hope the next shooter who tries this has an easier time with the installation than I did.
    Philly Boy likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Just got the XS for my LCR and have had many problems and will take it to my gun guy! Do you have the BIG dot or the regular size? I'm not happy with the small dot; thought it would be bigger.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

The only size XS Dot that I found available was the regular size. I would really have preferred the larger dot. Also, Novak large dot was unavailable on any website that I checked.
    Philly Boy likes this.

My LG guy secured the XS to my LCR and even he had a bit of a struggle getting the orig. site off; so I'm glad I sucked it up and had him do it. Looks better now that it's on, but I still would have preferred a bigger version.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I wish these tips were available a year ago when I installed the XS sight in my LCR. It was not a fun experience.....at all.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Links