Gen 4s

This is a discussion on Gen 4s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My apologies for what is probably an old question, but did Glock get the Gen 4s ironed out? Thinking of snagging a 19....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 4s

Gen 4s

My apologies for what is probably an old question, but did Glock get the Gen 4s ironed out? Thinking of snagging a 19.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    My new Gen. 4 23 has been perfection. It has the latest extractor/ejector combination and I've experienced zero brass to the face, everything ejects forcefully to the right and reliability has been 100%. It's my understanding that most of the issues were relegated to 9mm in the 19 and 17.

I say buy with confidence. I love the grip texture and slimmer feel. After the addition of 10-8 Performance sights and reliability testing it's become my preferred carry gun in a Dale Fricke Arch Angel AIWB rig.

I'm a big Glock guy and I'm sorry to say......NO. From what I've read in the past 3-4 months, the G19's still have flaws. You'll find some that have no flaws at all, but it still seems quite common that there are issues. Most .40's have been flawless it seems, but not all. Subcompact (Baby) Glocks seem to be fairing well also.

P.S. I'm also waiting...my wife took my 2008 Gen3 G19 as her own.

G17 Gen Foh here. No problems yet. I still like my Gen Tree 17 with the fishgills and RTF2 better though.

Buy with confidence. Especially if it's a relatively newly manufactured one. I think the ones made after July or August of last year are supposed to be ok.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

The eratic ejections and FTE,FTF problems were first blammed on weak/under powered ammo or the fault of the shooter..after numerous complaints,Glock stated the new recoil springs were too strong for some 9mm ammo and changed the RSA several times,but this still did not seem to fix the eratic ejections FTF's,FTE's..the next possible cause for these issues were "out of spec extractors",they were replaced,then the ejector was finally upgraded and still no permanent fix.i don't think Glock even knows what's causing these problems.your best bet is to get a gen3 and hope for the best or if your really feeling lucky take a chance on a new gen4...

I just picked up a G19 a few days ago. I did a lot of research first, and from what I could find, all of the bugs have been ironed out of the Gen 4s.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I picked up a Gen 4 Glock 19 at a show last weekend. Latest extractor and RSA, test fire date of 3/26/12. Broke it down and cleaned it, took it to the range, put 200 rounds through it with no flaws, mix of WWB 115 grain and 125 grain Hornady steel jacketed stuff.
    In the interest of full disclosure, it seemed to be ejecting pretty weak at first. They were all going the same direction but landing only 18" to two feet away from me. Towards the end of my session they were ejecting with a little more... umph, a little further away from me. *shrugs*

VIP Member
    I have just over 1k through my Gen4 G19 (it has the newer parts) and while I have seen a few unusual ejections (probably 1 to 2%), I've never had one hit me in the manner that some people have described. By unusual I mean it dosen't drop at my 4 o'clock; I've had a few go up over my head. Maybe one or two that went more up than out. Nothing that I would consider serious or flawed.

Given the number of complaints, I find it hard to dismiss that they had, and some may still have, an issue. I think Glock believes the issue is resolved so if you want a Gen4 19, I don't see any reason to wait because I doubt you'll see any more parts changes.

They're better than they were, but some are still having issues with very recent manufacture dates. I'd take my chances if you really want one as the issues are less common now and it's easy to replace the ejector and/or extractor. Apex Tactical is soon releasing new Glock internals which correct the issue. I've had my Gen 4 17 for well over 20 months now and I have not had an issue in over 8,000 rounds.

Lone Wolf currently offers replacement parts, but I have no experience with those. I'll wait for Apex if I need anything.

Keep in mind that some have exhibited problems from day one while others didn't show problems until over 2,000 rounds or more. Luckily, mine is still running fine though I di go through 4 different recoil springs/guide rods.

Here's a good thread that stays up to date on the Glock Gen 4 (and late Gen 3) issues.

Glock Extractor Issues Gen 4 - Gen 3 - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

personally I don't care for what they did to the grip. I don't like the way it feels

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    personally I don't care for what they did to the grip. I don't like the way it feels
    I agree, and for this reason I prefer the Gen 3's...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't know why Glock went and fixed something that wasn't broke? Now they have broken guns.

I've had to put my purchase of a G23 on hold while Glock figures it out.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I just got a G22 and didn't have any problems with it. Maybe 200-300 rounds through it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

It's not a problem with the 40 caliber guns, only the 9mm's.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    On the other hand.

The Gen 4 G31s and now G32s seem to run far better than the other calibers.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links