I just do not get it?

This is a discussion on I just do not get it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I respect everyone's right to their opinion I just can not understand the amount of "Hate" for the internal lock. I have been involved ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: I just do not get it?

I just do not get it?

While I respect everyone's right to their opinion I just can not understand the amount of "Hate" for the internal lock. I have been involved with the shooting sports for over 45 years and I understand the changes in firearm laws has been harder on some States then others but I just do not see this as a big deal. I would just disconnect or glue it open and be done with it. To me I can't see where installing a different plug instead of the factory made plug is any better looking. I have two guns with the dreaded lock and it is just not an issue to me. I am not trying to start a argument but I have read these posts for a long time now and still I can not understand the problem. If I was that angry about something made by a company, S&W, I would simply buy another brand. Ruger makes a fine gun, why not save yourself the agravation of looking at the hole, lock. plug altogether and get one of theirs. Again, I am not saying anyone should not be upset about the lock just that I can not personally understand the big deal. Also, please do not call me names or threaten to burn down my home, I also have a right to my opinion and view. There just seems to be so much energy wasted on the subject when it can be so easily circumvented.
    Just my two cents, Frank.

2. Remove Ads

It is an insult to my intelligence. Plus I don't like the government telling me how to run my life.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I have no issue with locking mechanisms on firearms that I have no plan to ever use in a defensive role IE Recreational firearms.. However, on defensive firearms it is simply one more potential point of failure and I want as few of those on my defensive firearms as possible.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I have no issue with locking mechanisms on firearms that I have no plan to ever use in a defensive role IE Recreational firearms.. However, on defensive firearms it is simply one more potential point of failure and I want as few of those on my defensive firearms as possible.
    +1! See thread running here for example: Smith & Wesson Internal Lock Failure! (& fix)
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I made sure to get a S&W Model 642 WITHOUT the internal lock for my wife for this exact reason.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I don't "hate" it. I just won't own an edc that has it for the reasons listed above.Thankfully, there are options.

I hate the lock.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I have found that hating does not take a lot of energy, and there are just some things that deserve to be hated. Chicken fried steak comes to mind.

No Lock...... No Problem

Image.jpgImage.jpgImage.jpgImage.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Easy.......... Pesy

OS
    shooterX and bmcgilvray like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I don't "hate" it, but if I were to acquire a S&W with the lock, it would be removed.

On a slightly different topic, what I don't "get" is how people swear they'll never buy another S&W because of the locks on SOME models. That's right up there with cutting off your nose to spite your face. Certain states enacted restrictive laws, acting in accordance with those states' very own constitutions, and S&W (as well as others) responded to the market by adding the lock feature. No government told S&W what to do, they just pursued their vested interest in selling guns for a profit. And if I lived in a state that demanded such a device, I'd be happy I could still get a S&W at all.
    helderberg and Philly Boy like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

KSP
    As mentioned above

1. Looks ugly
    2. Represents all that is bad in gun control
    3. Can cause catastrophic gun failure (though not highly likely, it is wholly unnecessary)
    4. There are other options out there

I just picked up a no lock 442 and I absolutely love this gun.

If you don't understand the hate for the revolver locks on S&W's, then you haven't been paying attention to the interaction between gun companies, consumers and the government for the last 45 years. The internal locks are a completely unnecessary addition to an American classic, which is not only ugly, but CAN fail, rendering the gun useless. It is a glaring representation of a once respected name in firearms heritage caving to the demands of overbearing bureaucrats who don't know the difference between a machine gun and a musket. It is an insult to the intelligence of the American gun owner. It is akin to a government mandated 4 cylinder engine in all new Chevrolet Corvettes.

It doesn't matter if it can be circumvented or not. It shouldn't exist in the first place. That's the point.
    CDW4ME, BkCo1, atctimmy and 4 others like this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

it just another way to say we are not responsible adults and need help
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    If the gun isn't being carried ready for use and kids are around (live in the house) then put it in a safe.
    I can open a quick access safe faster than taking a key & turning a lock.
    The lock is a half ***** method for securing a pistol against unintended use.
    It's also a reminder of all the ineffective restrictive firearms crap during the Clinton era (10 round magazines ect...)
    I do not want an additional unwanted unnecessary complexity stuck in my weapon.
    remington79 and bmcgilvray like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I would be curious to know how many actual failures of the lock system have occured. I am thinking the number is very, very small. I wonder what the percentage of failures of the lock system are compared to failures of other guns for whatever reason. I doubt anyone has those numbers.

I will leave the lock on my 642 as is. If I ever drop the gun I will check its function before doing anything else. No different than if I would drop any other of my guns, they would be checked for function.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links