Sig 220 carry - magazine issue- hydrashocks will not fit

This is a discussion on Sig 220 carry - magazine issue- hydrashocks will not fit within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone else run into the issue of Fed hydrashock rounds not fitting more than two in a mag? My friend purchased this pistol new, has ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rocky

Thread: Sig 220 carry - magazine issue- hydrashocks will not fit

Lead Moderator

Sig 220 carry - magazine issue- hydrashocks will not fit

Anyone else run into the issue of Fed hydrashock rounds not fitting more than two in a mag? My friend purchased this pistol new, has already exchanged for new mags and still has this problem. Other brands of ammunition work , however it seems sig should have made the gun to fit better.
    He also contacted Sig , however CS didn't seem too concerned with the issue.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

My Glock 21 will accept any and all ammo ,Just kidding,has he tried a different box of H.S,may be a bad batch,or maybe some older mags ,maybe ones made by Meg-Gar.

Distinguished Member
    What is the issue? Are they too long? If they are it makes me wonder if they would chamber properly. I've never had any issues with Federal cartridges in my 220, but then again I don't use HydraShoks, I prefer the HSTs if I use Federal.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

My standard 220 has been digesting Hydra-Shoks readily since I bought it ages ago. Can you be more specific about the problem? Pictures?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    Unfortunately no pics. From what he describes , the bullet profile is too large, hanging up near the bullet tip. Mags are new with gun, purchased recently. He also got replacement mags, same issue. Will see if I can get pics from him on this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

not to sound flip but if this is the only kind of ammo the gun doesn't like, just find different ammo.
    I have guns that don't like certain brands and that is how I deal with it.

I also have a Sig P220 Carry...........it's my edc and it's on my hip now. I've been carrying it for over 2 years....the first year I carried Hydrashoks in it and never had a problem loading the magazines or shooting the pistol. Now I will say that loading the magazines do not go as smoothly as loading.......say a Glock 30sf (which I also own). The Glock magazine seem to load easier to me, not sure why. Part of your problem may be the newness of the mags.....after a few reloadings they should loosen up some. I don't believe the Federal cartridges are too long for your magazine.

VIP Member
    Since he's having the same problem with different magazines, I'd have him use a micrometer on them, then compare readings versus rounds that do load properly. I'll bet he finds the rounds are not in specification.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    May have to help him out with measuring OAL for his rounds. We already came up with using different ammo. Just trying to figure if anyone else is having this issue.
    QKShooter likes this.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sounds like the rounds have too long of a OAL.
    I have not experienced this with my P220 Carry, however I have not ever used Hydra-Shocks. I would suspect that if they are too long for the magazines then they won't chamber correctly.

Seems the Max OAL of 45ACP RN is 1.275 and from what I've read 1.22 is about right for JHP. I'll measure my Winchester PDX1s
    Sent from this... Using that...

Lead Moderator
    Well Sig is now recalling my buddies 220 . Will see if he gets a new one or opts for a different model.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links