Good trade?

This is a discussion on Good trade? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just been offered a relatively new PF9 in exchange for my relatively new Remington 770. I was complaining that I didn't like the 770, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ScaryWoody

Thread: Good trade?

Good trade?

I've just been offered a relatively new PF9 in exchange for my relatively new Remington 770. I was complaining that I didn't like the 770, and my GF's brother offered the trade. I looked at a couple of reviews on the PF9, and they all seem to say that as single stack 9mm goes, there are nicer options, but for the price (free, basically, for me), it's a great little pistol. That is, it always makes a loud noise when you pull the trigger.

They retail for around the same price +/- $50 for so. I could probably convince him to let me keep the scope that came on my Remington to put onto my 10/22.

What do you think? Good trade? Anyone have any experience with the Kel-Tec?
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It is a fantastic trade. In fact, if he changes his mind, I just happen to have a lightly used PF9 that I would be glad to trade with you.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Be happy with the trade. Good gun and good deal. Any gun that you don't shoot and trade for a gun that you will is a good deal.
    barstoolguru and Buckj like this.

As long as you don't get buyers/traders remorse

VIP Member
    What caliber is the Remington?
    Is it stainless?
    Camo?
    Firearms for Sale - Buy Firearms at GunBroker.com

Rifle= $275-350+
    pf9=$230-260

Semi Auto Pistols for Sale - Buy Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

CDNN had the pf9's for like $229 beggining of this year.
    Download Catalog

I wouldn't trade, unless it is an elephant caliber you will never use.
    Ex. .300 win mag on up.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Sounds good to me. I've checked out the PF9 actually. I'm just happy with what I have..,but I have tested the waters. Rem 770's are cheap IMO. They may shoot well, but they aint like the good 'ol days. Just like finding a quality 10/22 to build on. Current production firearms are lacking in a lot of ways. I seldom face these decisions, but once in a while I end up dealing and coming out on the good end. I say if it's what you want, then it's a good deal. Never, ever regret a firearm trade. If you think you might, hold off and think about it fora while. There should never be a lost opportunity.

I agree with what everyone else has said here. Ive traded before,and never felt good about the end result it seems. As far as the PF9,its not a bad little gun. Ive shot mine a lot with different ammo. The trigger is pretty good on this beast,and it fits my big paw much better than some of the other compacts. I will say though,its not the most accurate gun in my cabinet.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

I just started trading some this year. And have actually enjoyed the ones I've got. Like a Hi-Power clone for a RIA full size got a S&W m19 snub for a G36, just to name a few.

I say if you like the trade then trade.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    What caliber is the Remington?
    Is it stainless?
    Camo?
    Firearms for Sale - Buy Firearms at GunBroker.com

Rifle= $275-350+
    pf9=$230-260

Semi Auto Pistols for Sale - Buy Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

CDNN had the pf9's for like $229 beggining of this year.
    Download Catalog

I wouldn't trade, unless it is an elephant caliber you will never use.
    Ex. .300 win mag on up.
    It's a .308. I've taken it to the range exactly twice. The first time, after about 15 rounds (of gun show reloads--lesson learned), I couldn't retract the bolt to eject the last cartridge. It would rotate, but I couldn't, for the life of me, retract it. So I took it home, it sat under my bed for about a year (a deployment contributed to the delay) until I finally took it to a gunsmith. He reamed out the chamber, removing quite a bit of metal, and got it running again. I took it back to the range and put around 40-50 more rounds (various factory target loads) through it. After about 10, it started getting harder and harder to retract the bolt again. It almost feels like it's bent. It's never been really smooth, but it gets harder after I've been shooting it for a while.

After that, it came home and it's been sitting every since. It's a black synthetic model that I picked up at a gunshow with a decent scope for around $300. I'm not a hunter, but I thought that I might want to go one day. I'm looking at doing some wild pig hunting in the fall, but a .308 seems kind of like overkill when the outfitter offers everything from rifle hunts down to knife hunts (I'm thinking that taking out a boar with my 1911 might be a hoot).

So, ultimately, I'd be trading a rifle that I regret buying (should've saved up for a 700) for a pistol that would probably become my EDC. I think I've pretty much made my decision, just wanted to get some feedback.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Links