PF9 Accuracy/Reliability test and Slide Wear Question

PF9 Accuracy/Reliability Test and Slide Wear Question

This is a discussion on PF9 Accuracy/Reliability Test and Slide Wear Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just recently got the PF9. First testing went good with the below results in the first paragraph from another post. Shot 50 PMC FMJ 115 ...

PF9 Accuracy/Reliability test and Slide Wear Question

Just recently got the PF9. First testing went good with the below results in the first paragraph from another post.

Shot 50 PMC FMJ 115 gr and 75 Win WBox FMJ 115gr, I believe, for a total of 125 rounds. Would have done more but I was on lunch break and the air conditioner wasn’t’ working in the range. Worked 100% or almost I guess. I was trying various holds on it and on one shot I just went to the hip and shot real quick. Really shot before I planned to. It had I believe what’s called a stove pipe or maybe failure to eject. I tried several more like that and there was not issue. I wasn’t very accurate with it but that was probably more me.

Today I was trying to test for accuracy since before it was shooting to the left. I didn't have a sandbag rest or anything but rested my hand on the shooting stand and held as steady as I could. Below is my first test. The target is about 7" wide and I lined the sites up on the bottom line.

Next round with a little sight adjustment.

This was the final target that I took a picture of after adjustment. A little better. On this one I was shooting off hand aiming in the middle of the circle. I'm not good at distance but it was about halfway down the indoor pistol shooting range. I adjusted the sights but I'm wondering if it's my shooting because I shot my Walther P22 right after and was also to the left.

I did have two FTE's I believe they're called. This after shooting 50 rounds of PMC FMJ 115 gr, 13 rounds of the Critical Defense, and 50 rounds of a brand called Independence which was 115 gr FMJ. The gun was really dirty and burning hot at this point and I started shooting the Winchester White box. I was probably about 25 more rounds into it and got the jam. I cleared it shot some more and got another jam. It was strange though and I don't think it was the guns fault because the report or bang of those rounds was much less than all the others. Does this indicate faulty or underpowered ammo??? If so I don't think it was my gun's fault.

Cleaning the gun it was caked. Below are some pictures of what I found and had questions about. It's kind of hard to see in the pictures but the first 2 especially are deep grind marks. They are not smooth wear marks but more like scratches. Is this a problem or do I need to do something to it? It went through the hard chrome. It's working fine but it makes me wonder about the future. It those 2 were defective rounds this little gun has been through almost 300 without fail. I don't know if temperature make a difference either but I go through the rounds so fast that it's hot to the touch.

my hard chrome PF-9 looks just like yours only a little smoother marks. Use some good gun lube on the PF-9, as it does not do well dry.

accuracy of the PF-9 is something that takes some practice, proper hold, and correct trigger touch.
    This target is a couple of mags from my first PF-9 off hand at seven yards, no support. (target is 81/2"x11" copy paper)

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    my hard chrome PF-9 looks just like yours only a little smoother marks. Use some good gun lube on the PF-9, as it does not do well dry.

accuracy of the PF-9 is something that takes some practice, proper hold, and correct trigger touch.
    This target is a couple of mags from my first PF-9 off hand at seven yards, no support. (target is 81/2"x11" copy paper)

Yeah I think I'm going to have to practice some. I actually have been lubing the slide up with gun grease. That's one reason I was surprized to see the marks.

The real question is can you trust the PF9 to carry when you've been having malfunctions?

I was never able to trust my PF9 for carry and that's why I got rid of it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    The real question is can you trust the PF9 to carry when you've been having malfunctions?

I was never able to trust my PF9 for carry and that's why I got rid of it.
    Two failures out of almost 300 but they barely had a report like they were underpowered. I don't think they would have cycled in any gun. I will always probably have some trust issues simply because of comments of some on the forum. I can find the same thing about any in this class though. I simply cannot carry the XD at all times.

Actually... you had 3 failures. Don't forget about the one from the hip.

Firing from the hip isn't out of the question in a SD situation.

So for me... no. I would NOT trust a gun that had 3 malfunctions in 300 rounds. That's too many for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    Actually... you had 3 failures. Don't forget about the one from the hip.

Firing from the hip isn't out of the question in a SD situation.

So for me... no. I would NOT trust a gun that had 3 malfunctions in 300 rounds. That's too many for me.
    If I could find a gun that had no reports of any issues of any kind on the web I would be the first to buy it...really though I was more wanting advice on my shooting and slide issues. I messed up I guess by putting reliability test in the title. I really meant accuracy and shooting.

Administrator
    Any time you have a slide or a frame that is getting gouged or deeply scratched - something is causing that to happen. Get a magnifying glass and carefully check over your slide and frame at all metal to metal contact surfaces. Guaranteed you will find small burs or nicks or knife edges. You should carefully knock those off or smooth them up with a fine die sinkers riffler.
    Very Often if there is a high spot in the location of a small nick or tiny edge dent & you can just "cut" that off with a brand new razor sharp EXACTO knife blade.

Smooth metal does not gouge smooth metal - take some careful time out to discover what is actually causing the problem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

you didn't have any failures. What you had were some really crappy WWB rounds. I can't used WWB in a couple of my .45's because they are so underpowered that they won't cycle the slide. I have had a few times where it sounded like I was shooting a .22 out of my 9mm guns....all were Winchester White Box. I did not have any problem with FTE, but some guns are more forgiving than others. The PF-9 is not one of the forgiving kind.

Your first target pics showed that you were probably jerking the trigger which is ususally indicated by a "low and left"
    pattern. A lot of people that have shot my PF-9's shoot similar targets as they are ususally anticipating the recoil and ending jerking instead of squeezing. With practice and familiarity with the gun, and getting used to the recoil, your groups and accuracy will improve dramatically. The reason I own a PF-9 is because I have yet to have a failure and they are very accurate out to 10 yards....after you get the hang of them. Still nothing as thin and light as the PF-9 other than the Diamondback DB9, but my local GS pulled all of them out of their case and returned them to Diamondback due to some reliability issues that EVERYONE had that they sold in a month period.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Any time you have a slide or a frame that is getting gouged or deeply scratched - something is causing that to happen. Get a magnifying glass and carefully check over your slide and frame at all metal to metal contact surfaces. Guaranteed you will find small burs or nicks or knife edges. You should carefully knock those off or smooth them up with a fine die sinkers riffler.
    Very Often if there is a high spot in the location of a small nick or tiny edge dent & you can just "cut" that off with a brand new razor sharp EXACTO knife blade.

Smooth metal does not gouge smooth metal - take some careful time out to discover what is actually causing the problem.
    Thanks this weekend I'm going to disassemble it and see if I can't find the issue. Should I take something and smooth out the roughed out or scratched up areas?

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    you didn't have any failures. What you had were some really crappy WWB rounds. I can't used WWB in a couple of my .45's because they are so underpowered that they won't cycle the slide. I have had a few times where it sounded like I was shooting a .22 out of my 9mm guns....all were Winchester White Box. I did not have any problem with FTE, but some guns are more forgiving than others. The PF-9 is not one of the forgiving kind.

Your first target pics showed that you were probably jerking the trigger which is ususally indicated by a "low and left"
    pattern. A lot of people that have shot my PF-9's shoot similar targets as they are ususally anticipating the recoil and ending jerking instead of squeezing. With practice and familiarity with the gun, and getting used to the recoil, your groups and accuracy will improve dramatically. The reason I own a PF-9 is because I have yet to have a failure and they are very accurate out to 10 yards....after you get the hang of them. Still nothing as thin and light as the PF-9 other than the Diamondback DB9, but my local GS pulled all of them out of their case and returned them to Diamondback due to some reliability issues that EVERYONE had that they sold in a month period.
    This was the last time I'll use the Win White Box. All issues were with that. I figured that I was somehow shooting wrong. I have really been trying to develope a smooth trigger pull. I guess it's just going to take zoom consistent practice.

Do yourself a favor in the future. If you have a round on the range that gives off a muffled report and/or the recoil feels like less than it should. Stop for a minute, take the gun apart, and make sure that the bullet exited the barrel. If it didn't and you have a squib round with the bullet still in the barrel, and you fire another one into it, bad things can happen.

As for the wear marks, follow QK's advice.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Do yourself a favor in the future. If you have a round on the range that gives off a muffled report and/or the recoil feels like less than it should. Stop for a minute, take the gun apart, and make sure that the bullet exited the barrel. If it didn't and you have a squib round with the bullet still in the barrel, and you fire another one into it, bad things can happen.

As for the wear marks, follow QK's advice.
    Good advice. I never thought of that and with the way I was shooting I was watching for where the round hit but I will definitely check that. Exploding gun is not something I want to experience.

Administrator
    Should I take something and smooth out the roughed out or scratched up areas?

Not necessary. Just locate the problem and correct that. You might also want to consider using an ultra-low friction synthetic lube that will stay on your frame/slide rails.

Google Jardine's Extreme.
    Never mind...I'll do it for you.
    http://www.valtrousa.com/jardinesextremegrease.html

Valuable Advice: ~~~> Never judge the reliability of any firearm based on how it functions or fails to function with Winchester White Box.
    There is a reason WHY it is inexpensive ammo. That is because it is cheap ammo in more ways than one.

I'll try some of the Jardine's. I've been trying to keep all my auto frames greased up. I think what I've been using is Hoppes gun grease but I'm not sure since it's at home right now.

Links