Some 'slick' Glock tips/tricks

This is a discussion on Some 'slick' Glock tips/tricks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last Saturday (12 May 2012) I traded a gen 3 Glock 17 for a G34 Gen 4. The next day I installed a Ghost Rocket ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Some 'slick' Glock tips/tricks

Senior Moderator

Some 'slick' Glock tips/tricks

Last Saturday (12 May 2012) I traded a gen 3 Glock 17 for a G34 Gen 4. The next day I installed a Ghost Rocket connector. Ghost Rocket connectors are heat treated all the way through and are highly polished. I lost about 4 oz of trigger pull weight just by installing the Rocket - the stock connector was already 3.5#.

But that's neither of the tip/tricks.

The first tip is you can shorten the reset even more by putting a Dave Spaulding cut on the reset tab. That not only decreases reset by decreasing trigger over travel, but the Spaudling cut makes it reset even quicker. The Spaulding cut is described on the Ghost Inc website, and I have a video on YouTube explaining the entire process.

However, I've found that the Spaulding cut decreases that tactile reset we like so much in a Glock trigger. But that brings us to the second tip/trick:

I contacted Ghost Inc about something altogether unrelated, but mentioned the loss of the tactile reset with the Spaulding cut. He said "I can tell you how to fix that!" So the second tip is the adjustment of the the right angle bend of the connector. This will improve the tactile reset and for some reason I don't quite understand yet, it smooths the trigger as well, and I think it lightens it a bit too.

Here's how to adjust the connector. Remove the connector from the housing it's mounted in and reinsert the connector upside down. Hold the housing and connector in your 'support' hand and really pinch down on the bend in the connector to hold it securely in the housing. With your right hand pull uniformly against the connector to open the angle just a bit - don't over do it. Reinstall it and give it a try.

I could tell a noticeable difference both in trigger pull characteristics and the reset 'click'. Let me know what you find!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Excellent informational video Tangle!
    Thanks for posting
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I suppose your G34 is a competition gun, in which case, have fun toying with it as much as you'd like. (Maybe the thread should be moved out of "Defensive Carry Guns?")

All my pistols are for defensive use (except my old .22 revolver), so I leave the triggers factory stock. I like the Glock trigger very much as it comes out of the box, and I figure nothing is going to beat factory for reliability.

I guess it comes down to your opinion on competition. If you want to win the game, then go ahead and trick out your gun. If you compete in the game to get some training value out of it, you're likely better off keeping your gun in the same configuration that you use for carry purposes.

I'd love to hear a range report - never got to shoot the long-slide Glocks myself. Have fun with it!
    wmhawth, zonker1986 and Justified like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    I put it in the Self Defense forum because I bought it for SD, not competition, I don't do competitive shooting. I did the trigger work so it would be like all my SD Glocks. I have no fear of defending the gun mods in a court of law.

The trigger now has an average break (five pulls averaged) right at 5 lbs as measured and calculated on a Lyman Digital Trigger Scale. Sig lists their SA break at 4.5 lbs, and it's a shorter pull.

I talked to one of my many instructors at Gunsite about it and they said many LEOs have trigger work done on their service guns. He also said if I have a problem with the trigger in a justified shooting, they would come, at no charge, and provide expert testimony as needed, BECAUSE I was an alumni.

And, this may be of interest:
    TRIGGER WEIGHT?

Actually the G34 is NOT the long slide, the G17L is and if you can believe this, it's longer than the G34! I saw some in the counter when I was looking for my G34.

Here's a brief range report, but I'll do a more in depth one later.

I can actually shoot my G17 better than the G34 - I think that's because of the rear sight on the G34. I also shot my P250 side by side with the G34 and shot the P250 noticeably better.

I want to install a Rocket connector, but the downside I've heard about is one of the purposes of the connector is to reduce overtravel which is essentially putting your pistol in a state closer where it doesn't the trigger doesn't break at all rending the gun useless. Any thoughts.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I want to install a Rocket connector, but the downside I've heard about is one of the purposes of the connector is to reduce overtravel which is essentially putting your pistol in a state closer where it doesn't the trigger doesn't break at all rending the gun useless. Any thoughts.
    That's true to some degree. I could answer that, but give Ghost Inc a call and express that concern to them; they are very helpful and would be glad to discuss that with you. I think you'll like what you hear.

BTW, I've seen pics of a Ghost Rocket packed with mud and the thing still works. The stock Glock connector failed to fire under the same conditions.

The Ghost Rocket is heat treated all the way through; a Glock connector is only surface hardened. That's one reason it's a bad idea to polish the connector - you can go right through the surface hardening.

Keep in mind that just about all modern 1911s have that little set screw in the trigger - that's an over-travel stop. It should have the same problem an over-travel stop would in a Glock.

I have a Ghost connector on my G27 and like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flydoc View Post
    I have a Ghost connector on my G27 and like it.
    Do you recall which one it is? Thanks!

Senior Moderator
    I see there is some concern about trigger weights etc. on carry guns. Let me share some quotes from Ghost Inc that addresses these concerns. Realize this is from a company that sells Rocket connectors to these people and has been in business for many years.

This is from the Ghost Inc website:
    First this:
    "I am frequently asked by Glock & Ruger shooters what is the proper/best trigger pull weight for their Glock OR Ruger SR. What is the difference between a trigger for target and one for self defense? This subject is hotly debated, argued and is rife with contradictions. The first thing I must make clear is that my position is based on an assumption that you are a safe law abiding shooter. That is, you will keep your finger off the trigger until you are absolutely positive that you must immediately fire! Practice and preach this or suffer the consequences. You will not point your firearm at anything unless you are: one legally justified to do so; and two, you are willing to damage it severely or destroy it.

Finger off the trigger until you must immediately fire! "

"Discover what tens of thousands of ROCKET shooters have discovered that they can shoot better, faster and out shoot those who do not use the ROCKET in their Glock!! Guaranteed...."

"The ROCKET has been designed to function flawlessly. The proof is in the shooting. The ROCKET is PRACTICAL & TACTICAL! The majority of people using the ROCKET use them in their carry guns this includes both Military Personnel fighting the War On Terror and Police Officers protecting our streets!..."

G34 for defense? Home defense? Or are you going to carry that thing?

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I really like the stock Glock trigger, and just don't see a need to monkey with it. You know, the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing...

Of course, I'm not one to complain about the trigger on the LCP or PM9, either. If you understand how to do a smooth, steady trigger pull - you can work any trigger.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

this is from their webb site

The Dave Spaulding Cut
    The TCT is cut at slight rearward angle. Follow the regular ROCKET or TACTICAL

Installation Instructions except make your cut at this slight angle. Caution too

sharp of an angle and your pistol may not reset.

To insure you did correctly test fire your pistol. If your pistol fires and resets

during test firing then you are good.

THE DAVE SPAULDING CUT FOR GLOCKS WITH ROCKETS AND TACTICALS

Not disparaging the mod here, but the only Glocks I've ever seen fail were iggied. Bad idea to iggie a SD gun. Otherwise, sounds cool.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    G34 for defense? Home defense? Or are you going to carry that thing?
    Whatever is called for. A buddy of mine that is an adjunct instructor for a prominent SD training school has carried a G34 concealed for years. He also competes and wins most of the events he enters.

He prefers the G34 for carry and the 3.5# connector. He says he can tell a significant difference in shootability with the 3.5# connector, especially when shooting with one hand and even moreso with the off-hand.

It's a bit big for me, but I regularly carry a 1911 fs, G17, etc with no concealment problems at all. I doubt I'd carry it under normal situations, but in a SHTF, that would probably be my go to gun. I have 9 mags that will fit it.

...Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I really like the stock Glock trigger, and just don't see a need to monkey with it...
    That's true, obviously there are diverse preferences in handguns, cars, etc. and we're very fortunate to have such a wide variety of guns and setups to choose from.

I like the stock trigger too; I just like the Ghost Rocket better. Have you ever shot a Glock with a Ghost Rocket in it?

...You know, the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing...
    Isn't that the same thing we said about Glock going from the gen 1, to the gen 2, to the gen 3, to the gen 4?

What I'm saying is that if we truly lived by the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality, we'd still be using rotary dial telephones and probably flintlocks. "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is the antithesis of continuous improvement.

...Of course, I'm not one to complain about the trigger on the LCP or PM9, either. If you understand how to do a smooth, steady trigger pull - you can work any trigger.
    That's a funny thing you brought up - here I sit typing this with a full size P250 DAO on my hip - and it has a long trigger pull. So like yourself, I'm not trigger sensitive.

If we can apply the same logic to racecars (BTW did you realize racecar spelled backwards still spells racecar ) as trigger pulls, we should be able to say that if we understand how to drive we can drive any car, and that's probably largely true. But, we have to admit, there's no way we could drive a stock car as fast as we could a high performance racecar.

But, the thread is really just about two tips for those that do install Ghost Rockets in their Glocks (or want to) can use to maximize performance.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Not disparaging the mod here, but the only Glocks I've ever seen fail were iggied. Bad idea to iggie a SD gun. Otherwise, sounds cool.
    The thread isn't about igging up a Glock. It's about two tips that will improve performance and reliability.

I have a ghost 3.5 trigger kit in both my EDC G26 and my nightstand G19. I LOVE them. I think the stock Glock trigger is good...I think the Glock trigger with a 3.5 kit is awesome! One caveat though... I don't user their striker spring for 2 reasons. I have heard that it can cause light strikes which while not having any proof that that is true I don't care to find out at an inopportune time. Secondly, I think it just made the trigger TO light for a self defense pistol for my liking. I think it would be great on a competition pistol though.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links