Shooting LOW...Taurus PT140

This is a discussion on Shooting LOW...Taurus PT140 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've put 150 rounds through my new Taurus .40 in two different range sessions and every single shot has been 6 to 10 inches low. ...

Thread: Shooting LOW...Taurus PT140

Shooting LOW...Taurus PT140

I've put 150 rounds through my new Taurus .40 in two different range sessions and every single shot has been 6 to 10 inches low. Two other excellent shots had the same experience shooting my pistol. They are fixed sights...so I'm wondering what to do? why is it doing this??????? thoughts and suggestions?

**this was the case at 50 feet and 25 yards outdoors.
    Last edited by something; September 9th, 2006 at 02:40 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    I've put 150 rounds through my new Taurus .40 in two different range sessions and every single shot has been 6 to 10 inches low. Two other excellent shots had the same experience shooting my pistol. They are fixed sights...so I'm wondering what to do? why is it doing this??????? thoughts and suggestions?

**this was the case at 50 feet and 25 yards outdoors.
    BTDT on both of these....
    Check the manual to see what ammo it was sighted in at.
    Lighter bullets or +P and +P+ will make it shoot low.
    Also if you have the target resting on the top of the front sight ala target style then you will shoot low. Combat sights require the front dot to cover the target area.
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

BTDT=??

I'll check the manual but I was shooting Magtech 180.
    about combat sights...that's definitely one of my problems as I was aiming the 'target style'. We'll see next time I'm out but I'm assuming it's something I'm going to have to deal with and get used to....but this will be a dedicated carry piece so 6" low at 50 feet will likely do the job if and when the day comes at closer ranges.

btw....I'm here in Wheeling for the weekend where my parents live..Love WV!!

Something,

I do not want to insult your intelligence...I'm sure this isn't the cause of your problem but it was for me as a newbie.

I bought the PT111 and was shooting way low too. I had some more experienced shooters at the range shoot it and they found it to be very accurate. The cause of my problem was the long trigger pull.

I had to pull the trigger so far back that I was starting to anticipate the shot and pulling down. Now that I'm used to the trigger I have no trouble.

Probably not your problem but it was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    Something,

I do not want to insult your intelligence...I'm sure this isn't the cause of your problem but it was for me as a newbie.

I bought the PT111 and was shooting way low too. I had some more experienced shooters at the range shoot it and they found it to be very accurate. The cause of my problem was the long trigger pull.

I had to pull the trigger so far back that I was starting to anticipate the shot and pulling down. Now that I'm used to the trigger I have no trouble.

Probably not your problem but it was for me.

I see how that could be the problem...but not mine.....

Lead Moderator
    My PT140 required a proper center of mass hold to hit dead on. A 6 oclock hold would put em right about 6" low.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    One of the weapons I carry is a PT945 and it shoots low also. I have to put my front dot just above what I am aiming at. Just something I have to get used to and like you my better shooting friends do better with it than I do. Its a good shooter and I have no plans on getting rid of it. All my guns shoot differently and I learned to live with it. But which ever one I pick up I know how to shoot it without much thought on how to get on target anymore. It took practice and I'm sure with a little more practice you'll be hitting on target also.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    My PT140 required a proper center of mass hold to hit dead on. A 6 oclock hold would put em right about 6" low.
    My PT140 was the same way. I think they are sighted with the front sight covering the target. I shoot this way anyway, so it was no big deal.

I did however get rid of my PT140 because if the trigger pull. The PT140 has a VERY long trigger pull and, at least on the one I had, there seemed to be a "catch point" slightly before it fired. When pulling the trigger there seemed to be a point where it felt like it should go off, then you pulled some more and it finally would.

My wife did not like it either for the same reason. We both liked the feel of the gun in our hands, thatís why we bought it. It was not until we took it to the range we found out how wrong we were for buying it. We now make every attempt to "try before you buy".

It all worked out, this was going to be my wifeís CCW gun, but she ended up getting a Glock 27. Yea we spent a lot more for the Glock, but it was well worth it.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

ya the trigger pull is looooooong but since this is a gun i won't be shooting other than in defense situations, i don't feel the catch point will even matter...the squeezes in the future won't be the same as the ones now!

BTDT..
    Been There Done That.

Forgot about the long pull. Good advice

Something else is if you are shooting two handed you may be pulling back with the off hand this will pull the muzzle down exspecially if you tighten your grip just before the break.
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

VIP Member
    Practice with it, know where it shoots and aim accordingly. One other factor, be sure your holding level with line of sight, it is easy to tip your muzzle down when shooting without concentration on shooting form, the sight picture can still appear good even with the muzzle tipped down some and you will hit low.

i had one of those as well and i got the same thing and it might have to do with the long and hard trigger pull might be pulling the gun down a little. or it could be the gun...lmao

ok...good to hear i'm not the first and only one with this experience with this gun.
    thanks for the input

Links