Problems with sights on Beretta PX4 Storm? - Page 2

Problems with sights on Beretta PX4 Storm?

This is a discussion on Problems with sights on Beretta PX4 Storm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guy at the last class I went to had the fullsize .40 and it shot fine all weekend, as accurate as everybody else's gun. Sent ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Problems with sights on Beretta PX4 Storm?

Guy at the last class I went to had the fullsize .40 and it shot fine all weekend, as accurate as everybody else's gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

New Member Array johnpcunningham's Avatar

PX4 Storm shooting low & left - problem solved!

I'm an electrical engineer with intermediate shooting time and skills. This means I'm anal about solving problems and willing to admit I'm not a pro. Anyway, here is my story:

I've owned a Colt King Cobra .357 for 20 years and I can shoot a Silver Dollar size pattern at 50 ft. I don't shoot that often, but hey, it's a revolver with a 6" barrels. So adding to my wish for an automatic pistol, I recently purchased the Beretta Storm Compact 9mm. I liked the feel and the safety with double action. A bonus over the Glocks that I have rented in the past. So here I go to the range with my gal to shoot- she has never shot a pistol, ever, and never wrong - so I knew this would be fun to see!!!

So I pull out the trusty .357 and try to show here my skills. And I did. Dead eye at 7 and 15 yards. Then I pulled out the PX4 and tried the same, and boy did I suck. I was all over the place at 21ft (7 yards).

Excuse #1 - must be the crappy ammo
    Excuse #2 - must be the sights - what, these are fixed sights! How do I adjust them? Need a special tool to adjust them and only left and right, that stinks.
    Excuse #3 - must be the adjustment time for a new gun

Well, I did get aclimated to the gun to some degree and I got the grouping a little tighter, but always to the left and low by 2" each. Geese this sucks, what to do now?

----
    So I checked the forums and talked to guys at the gun shop about how to hold the trigger finger, loosening my grip with the lower 3 fingers and squeezing more with the thumb and the index finger. Good advice but thought this would be impractical in a "real" situation of self defense.

I went to the range a 2nd time alone and put through 150 rounds with similar low & left results. At his point, I'm not pleased with the Beretta Storm. Grouping was better but I was having to make compensations with the sights, putting the front sight way above the back 2 sights.
    ---
    The PX4 comes with 3 changeable back grips and since I had big hands, I had the originally on that was the largest back grip, the one that is much longer as compared to the other two. I wondered if that was the problem, or better yet hoped that would fix my problem. I changed the back grip out to the smaller one, and Voila!!!!! My 3rd trip to the range was beautiful. My grouping was about 4" at 21 feet. And the gun still felt comfortable to hold.

I have not done a follow up by putting the larger grip back on to see if I shoot low and left again. I do not attribute the improvement by getting used to the gun or more range time. When I had gone a 2nd time, I shot 150 rounds through it and took my time shooting the Storm.

The 4th trip to the range, I had a Sig 938 9mm and the PX4 9mm. I was excited about the Sig and had decent accuracy but a little wide pattern at 7 yrds. The gun was stiff and needed to break in since this was its first outing. I pulled out the Beretta and it simply felt like butter in my hands. It was smooth and accurate. Breaking it in with 400 rounds and changing the back grip was the trick for me.
    --
    Not sure if my post will help you guys but it did work for me. Two weeks ago I regretted buying the Storm and now I love it. So try out the different grips and get at least 400 rounds through it to make a good assessment of the weapon. Let me know what you think or come up with.

JC
    BlueNinjaGo, LuvMyPX4 and Oreste like this.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I would check his hold, stance, sight picture and follow through. I just finished Tom Givens advanced Instructor Development course and one of the things we talked about is the tendancy of some folks to fire the polymer pistols Low and Left. My advice is to check his firing technique. Then dry fire the hell out of it, go to the range and fire slowly with someone watching and checking the four things i spoke about.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    It has to do with the earths rotation and gravitudational pulling.If the range you use has the targets facing south,you need to find a range with the targets facing north,that will counter the elliptical transgrutionating pulsing effect on the velocitating ergonomics of the bullet in flight

Just purchased a PX 4 subcompact .40 and had my first round at the range. I have been using the 96A .40 and put about 1000 rounds through that pistol. The first outing with the PX4 was not great, but not horrible. But reading some of the comments led me to the idea of `recoil expectation'. How does one deal with that as I felt it was effecting my first outing with the PX4 even more so than my first outing with the 96A a few months back.

Trigger pull.
    Pull back slowly on the trigger until the gun fires.
    Make the shot a total surprise to you so that you can't "anticipate" it.
    Takes practice....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

PX4 subcompact.

Quote Originally Posted by protek View Post
    Hi all

Been trying to figure out what is wrong with my friend's pistol. He's got a PX4 Storm subcompact, and it shoots consistently to the left. He's had the sights adjusted twice by a gunsmith, but the problem continues.

It's not just his shooting either... it happens when I shoot it, very consistently, and always at the same distance from the point where I aim. If I correct by that much to the right, it shoots the intended target.

One of the guys at the gun shop told him that it is a problem with the trigger mechanism that is specific to the Storm, that even if you aim and fire without any hand or wrist movement, something within the mechanism pulls the gun off line.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?
    I have just purchased a PX4 subcompact 40 cal. A couple of days later, I noticed that the rear site was off centered to the left. I went back to where I bought it and looked at all the other 40 cals' they had. They were all off centered to the left some worse than others. After calling Beretta to ask about this, I was told to shoot it. I did and grouped 4 shots overlapping holes. It was off to the left and low. After talking to the safety person at the shooting range I went to. He asked to shoot the gun. He also shot left and low at 5 yards.(worse at 10 yrds.) They sell this gun at their business also. He went and checked their gun and to no surprise, it's rear site was off centered to the left. I took my new gun to a guns smith I have taken other guns to, to have the rear site adjusted. I did not want to send it back to Beretta and wait to get it back. I would suggest checking your rear site. This must be a problem at Beretta that they do not know about yet. But they will not take my word on it. I have not got my gun back yet to shoot it. Once I do I'll let you know how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpcunningham View Post
    I'm an electrical engineer with intermediate shooting time and skills. This means I'm anal about solving problems and willing to admit I'm not a pro. Anyway, here is my story:

I've owned a Colt King Cobra .357 for 20 years and I can shoot a Silver Dollar size pattern at 50 ft. I don't shoot that often, but hey, it's a revolver with a 6" barrels. So adding to my wish for an automatic pistol, I recently purchased the Beretta Storm Compact 9mm. I liked the feel and the safety with double action. A bonus over the Glocks that I have rented in the past. So here I go to the range with my gal to shoot- she has never shot a pistol, ever, and never wrong - so I knew this would be fun to see!!!

So I pull out the trusty .357 and try to show here my skills. And I did. Dead eye at 7 and 15 yards. Then I pulled out the PX4 and tried the same, and boy did I suck. I was all over the place at 21ft (7 yards).

Excuse #1 - must be the crappy ammo
    Excuse #2 - must be the sights - what, these are fixed sights! How do I adjust them? Need a special tool to adjust them and only left and right, that stinks.
    Excuse #3 - must be the adjustment time for a new gun

Well, I did get aclimated to the gun to some degree and I got the grouping a little tighter, but always to the left and low by 2" each. Geese this sucks, what to do now?

----
    So I checked the forums and talked to guys at the gun shop about how to hold the trigger finger, loosening my grip with the lower 3 fingers and squeezing more with the thumb and the index finger. Good advice but thought this would be impractical in a "real" situation of self defense.

I went to the range a 2nd time alone and put through 150 rounds with similar low & left results. At his point, I'm not pleased with the Beretta Storm. Grouping was better but I was having to make compensations with the sights, putting the front sight way above the back 2 sights.
    ---
    The PX4 comes with 3 changeable back grips and since I had big hands, I had the originally on that was the largest back grip, the one that is much longer as compared to the other two. I wondered if that was the problem, or better yet hoped that would fix my problem. I changed the back grip out to the smaller one, and Voila!!!!! My 3rd trip to the range was beautiful. My grouping was about 4" at 21 feet. And the gun still felt comfortable to hold.

I have not done a follow up by putting the larger grip back on to see if I shoot low and left again. I do not attribute the improvement by getting used to the gun or more range time. When I had gone a 2nd time, I shot 150 rounds through it and took my time shooting the Storm.

The 4th trip to the range, I had a Sig 938 9mm and the PX4 9mm. I was excited about the Sig and had decent accuracy but a little wide pattern at 7 yrds. The gun was stiff and needed to break in since this was its first outing. I pulled out the Beretta and it simply felt like butter in my hands. It was smooth and accurate. Breaking it in with 400 rounds and changing the back grip was the trick for me.
    --
    Not sure if my post will help you guys but it did work for me. Two weeks ago I regretted buying the Storm and now I love it. So try out the different grips and get at least 400 rounds through it to make a good assessment of the weapon. Let me know what you think or come up with.

JC
    JC, look at your rear site from above and check if the site is off centered to the left. I just bought a PX4 and had this problem. I went and checked the other PX4 guns at the store I bought my gun at and they were all off centered to the left. The shooting range I took my gun to shoot sells this gun also. Theirs had the same issue. The range safety officer shot it and shot low and left also. I took my gun to a gun smith I trust. Once I get it back and shoot it, I'll post. As for shooting low, I'll just have to compensate.

Hi all

Been trying to figure out what is wrong with my friend's pistol. He's got a PX4 Storm subcompact, and it shoots consistently to the left. He's had the sights adjusted twice by a gunsmith, but the problem continues.

It's not just his shooting either... it happens when I shoot it, very consistently, and always at the same distance from the point where I aim. If I correct by that much to the right, it shoots the intended target.

One of the guys at the gun shop told him that it is a problem with the trigger mechanism that is specific to the Storm, that even if you aim and fire without any hand or wrist movement, something within the mechanism pulls the gun off line.

I have just purchased a PX4 subcompact 40 cal. A couple of days later, I noticed that the rear site was off centered to the left. I went back to where I bought it and looked at all the other 40 cals' they had. They were all off centered to the left some worse than others. After calling Beretta to ask about this, I was told to shoot it. I did and grouped 4 shots overlapping holes. It was off to the left and low. After talking to the safety person at the shooting range I went to. He asked to shoot the gun. He also shot left and low at 5 yards.(worse at 10 yrds.) They sell this gun at their business also. He went and checked their gun and to no surprise, it's rear site was off centered to the left. I took my new gun to a guns smith I have taken other guns to, to have the rear site adjusted. I did not want to send it back to Beretta and wait to get it back. I would suggest checking your rear site. This must be a problem at Beretta that they do not know about yet. But they will not take my word on it. I have not got my gun back yet to shoot it. Once I do I'll let you know how it went.

Trying to raise post count, lol....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

My PX4 compact in 9mm hits right where I aim, I'm just not sure where that is at any given nano second. with all my noob shooting issues trying to learn and fix, I'm getting an evenly displaced 4" grouping at 5yds. Never shot the sub-compact, but knowing my trig, (like was said before) a small angle between those sights will mean a big difference a few yards away.
    cjkent and poetdante like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

I'm with you LuvMyPX4, I hit where I aim with my Px4 compact....shoots great and is my EDC. Can't comment on his little brother.

I would check the barrel crown and see if there is any defective mark. If so, send her back to Beretta for a replacement barrel.

It's not the gun!

So I had this problem too (still do to a degree). It's not the gun! I thought it was the sights, or something with the gun. Nope, a range instructor shot it, 3 shots one on top of another at 7 yards. He had never fired a PX4 let alone the .40 Compact model that I was shooting. If he can have perfect shots without a "test" group AND my shots got better after some one-on-one (bad trigger control on my part and hand placement) I will say it's not a sights issue and not a gun issue. To test it, use a stationary stand and try shooting it. If it's to the left with sandbags then you might be right. But my shots have gotten WAY better with instruction and practice and don't shoot as much to the left anymore

I just got my PX4 back from the gunsmith, getting the rear site adjusted (centered). Took it to the shooting range, Dead on. All 6 of the PX4 subcompacts 40 cals. I have looked at, the rear sites were off to the left. Look at the sites from above an see if the dove tails are even on the outside of the sites. The gunsmith said the sites were in extremely tight and hard to adjust. He agreed the rear site was off to the left. Good luck to you.

Hi all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links