Problems with sights on Beretta PX4 Storm?

This is a discussion on Problems with sights on Beretta PX4 Storm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all Been trying to figure out what is wrong with my friend's pistol. He's got a PX4 Storm subcompact, and it shoots consistently to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Problems with sights on Beretta PX4 Storm?

Problems with sights on Beretta PX4 Storm?

Hi all

Been trying to figure out what is wrong with my friend's pistol. He's got a PX4 Storm subcompact, and it shoots consistently to the left. He's had the sights adjusted twice by a gunsmith, but the problem continues.

It's not just his shooting either... it happens when I shoot it, very consistently, and always at the same distance from the point where I aim. If I correct by that much to the right, it shoots the intended target.

One of the guys at the gun shop told him that it is a problem with the trigger mechanism that is specific to the Storm, that even if you aim and fire without any hand or wrist movement, something within the mechanism pulls the gun off line.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Did the problem go away the first time he had the sights adjusted by the gunsmith?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

One of the guys at the gun shop told him that it is a problem with the trigger mechanism that is specific to the Storm
    That would be news to me but my experience with the PX4 Storm is limited to my own full size PX4. With mine I'm sure any exceptions to POA hits can be usually credited to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Did the problem go away the first time he had the sights adjusted by the gunsmith?
    No. It brought targeting in slightly, but it's still about two inches off target at 7 yards, and consistently so, meaning that it's off by the same amount for both of us. I can shoot a really tight grouping with it... it's just not where I'm aiming.

VIP Member
    I've had a similar problem with my PX4 Storm subcompact .40 - Every time I shoot it, I regret purchasing it.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    How about plain old point/shoot? After all it is a subcompact, sights are somewhat meaningless, and it really is hard to understand how, at only 7 yards, the point of impact can be off by even 2 inches.

I have not heard this before. Have you checked on the Beretta forum? Maybe someone there has more experience with it. I have/had full size and compact PX4s and they are spot on accurate.

I had a PX4 Storm subcompact and it shot LOW.
    I bought 147 gr. ammo in an attempt to get the POI closer to POA but it still wasn't close enough for me.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

One of the guys at the gun shop told him that it is a problem with the trigger mechanism that is specific to the Storm, that even if you aim and fire without any hand or wrist movement, something within the mechanism pulls the gun off line.
    I suppose anything is possible but this one sounds a whole lot like myth to me. In any case it's one I haven't heard. I haven't had any interest in the sub compact model but my full size PX shot POA out of the box.

I did check the Beretta forums after I posted this. There seems to be a difference of opinion as to cause, but the general consensus is that the subcompact tends to shoot to the left. Some people said that it is all about grip and stance. I'm not sure I buy that logic. Others talk about compensating the sights to the right.

I haven't tried just natural point and shoot. It seemed too random to me. In a defensive situation, I'd still hit central mass, more or less, unless the aggressor was a long way off.

I was looking for something else and stumbled across this tread :)

I have a PX4 Sub-Compact and I did find the following:

I'm used to the 92 and the first time with my Sub Compact I shot LOW at 7 yrds. Even my double taps would be high / low, but all my shots stayed in the middle.
    Only times I shot left or right, I found my thumbs crossed. Once I fixed my grip, thumbs pointing towards the target, my aim returned to center.
    With this small weapon the thumbs can mess with your aim to the power of 10.

If you change the angle of your aim with a 3 inch barrel only ONE degree (an that's nothing) the movement at the front sight is 0.05 inches (1.3 mm ) the total distance of the gap you see to the sides of the front sight through the back sights.

Now if you take that angle of error and extend it (4 yards) 12 ft, your aim will be off 2.5 inches. You move on to (7 yards) 21 ft, your error angle is off by over 4 inches.

I always practice at 4, 7 and 10 yards.
    With the PX4 SC at 4 yards I hit pretty close to what I aim for with a 3inch grouping on DT's.
    at 7 it tends to drop a little and grouping grow to 5 inches.
    at 10 I can't do a quick DT and stay within a 12 inch grouping.

Using my 92, I maintain the same standard at all distances.

My findings are that since you have hardly any barrel on the SC, the slightest bad grip pull / push or trigger push / pull cause a HUGE gap in your grouping. This is expected with a short barrel.

My PX4 is my BUG and house home weapon, so the accuracy I get is more than I'll need for CQC.

I had to re-train myself with the Beretta PX4 Sub Compact.

Hope this helps.

Mine shoots low and left as well

I have the full-size PX-4 in .40S&W. It has always shot low and left. I am by no means an expert pistol shooter but I am consistent and I've been shooting one form of firearm or another since I was a kid in the late 70's. If I want to hit a particular point on the target with the PX-4 I have to aim high and right. Not just a little either, it's significant. I do not have this problem with any other handgun. I was curious yesterday so I tried a XD subcompact in .40S&W from my local range's rental fleet. It felt that it was much smoother than the PX-4 and I had no trouble putting the rounds where I wanted. It even seemed to have less recoil even though it was a smaller gun (maybe just my perception). I am waiting to pick up a new XD and my PX-4 is for sale. I am not saying that the Beretta is a bad gun or that there is anything wrong with it. I just don't think it is the gun for me at this point.

It has to do with the earths rotation and gravitudational pulling.If the range you use has the targets facing south,you need to find a range with the targets facing north,that will counter the elliptical transgrutionating pulsing effect on the velocitating ergonomics of the bullet in flight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was at the range this weekend & the guy next to me was shooting a Storm 9mm.
    Most of his shots were going low & left.
    He walks out & gets one of the store guys to complain about it (he just bought it).
    I mentioned to RO who walked in that it seemed to me to be typical RH shooter anticipating recoil.
    RO takes gun & puts 5 shots in a small group, tells the guy "sights are fine" & walks off, lol.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Both of mine shoot pretty straight. I have a SC 9mm and a full size .40. I have found the full size to be slightly more accurate at further distances (expected with the longer barrel). I did have a slight problem at first with anticipated recoil but once I learned the trigger stroke and put a couple hundred rounds thru each it smoothed out considerably. I can consistently get 2 inch groups from 7 yards with the full size and 3-4 from the SC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links