Shield and 9c range day.

This is a discussion on Shield and 9c range day. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a chance to take my Shield 9mm and my M&P9c out to the range again today for about 500 more rounds. I had a ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By PI9
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 1 Post By shipwreck

Thread: Shield and 9c range day.

Thumbs up Shield and 9c range day.

Had a chance to take my Shield 9mm and my M&P9c out to the range again today for about 500 more rounds.

I had a friend who is waiting for his shield ask me how the recoil from the shield stacked up when compared to the 9c, so I tried to pay extra attention to it. As far as my opinion goes, the shield has only a little more recoil than my 9c. I was very pleasantly surprised.

This is the second time out with the Shield and it now has about 1000 rounds through it. I must say, its a sweet shooting gun and I have had 0 failures in it. I have shot cheap ammo too, a lot of Magtec and a lot of Atlanta arms. I also have 100 rounds of Critical Defense through it with no issues at all.

As for the 9c...I am sure it goes without saying but another successful day. I love this gun, its my second 9c and maybe I am lucky but I am yet to have 1 failure in this gun either...probably have 5000 rounds through both the M&P9c and not one failure...surprising to say the least as I always shoot cheap ammo, would have through I at least had some ammo caused failures.

Definitely loving M&P products, wont leave home without it!

Tim
    Bark'n, HKR and ironmike86 like this.

2. Remove Ads

I have a FS 9mm and the Shield 9mm. I can say, even for an old guy like me with arthritis, the Shield is a joy to shoot as is the FS. I have a J-frame and shoot 38 spl. rounds and after about 50 I have to stop. I love my j-frame but the Shield has taken over my carry and home defense role. It is very comfortable to shoot and I am so much more accurate with the Shield. Glad to hear you have had such a good run with the Shield as I have not begun to put the amount of ammo through my gun. Thanks for you post.
    Frank.

Glad to hear your great results. As Military Arms posted in his video on the Shield, he also has over 1,000 flawless rounds through his Shield.

I don't have nearly the round count through my Shield and full size M&P, but what I have shot has been flawless. Probably around 600 rounds through the full size and 200 through the Shield.

I love both the guns and have absolutely no regrets with getting them over a new Glock. I've had a Glock for over 12 years and in my personal experiences with the two brands, they are both equally excellent pistols.
    HKR likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

FDE
    Do you see yourself continuing to carry your 9 compact now that you have the shield? I have a 9c and have handled and shot the shield. Looking to get one but I think I would never carry the 9c again if all I have to give up for the smaller package is a few rounds in the magazine. Regardless I won't be selling the 9c but I was curious as to your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by FDE View Post
    Do you see yourself continuing to carry your 9 compact now that you have the shield? I have a 9c and have handled and shot the shield. Looking to get one but I think I would never carry the 9c again if all I have to give up for the smaller package is a few rounds in the magazine. Regardless I won't be selling the 9c but I was curious as to your thoughts.
    Honestly I cannot answer that yet...my holster is almost ready for the Shield and I will have to being wearing it every day for a week or so to answer that. Personally I have never had an issue carrying the 9c, I am a big guy and it causes me no problems when carrying. If I forget the Shield is on my side even more than I already forget the 9c is there then I will carry it everyday...but my 9c and I have a long relationship and its hard to lead it at home...so the Shield will need to impress. I do think the Shield is going to have a huge advantage for me when I carry IWB with my shirt tucked in...I think it will hide nicer than the 9c in that respect and considering I wear a lot of tucked in shirts for business, I may end up with the Shield...just gonna be hard to leave the 9c behind.

I personally don't like to change guns daily though so I will weigh all the factors and come up with which one benefits me the most for most situations. I should have a more definite answer in the next two weeks for you though.

Tim

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I also have both the 9c and the Shield. I am a small guy and find carrying the 9c very comfortable in a Crossbreed holster. The Shield is even more of a joy to carry. The Shield will definitely be my summer carry gun. I may even carry it in the winter. I will however carry the 9c when I feel I might need more firepower if I am traveling to a big city where I may encounter some unsavory individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    I will however carry the 9c when I feel I might need more firepower if I am traveling to a big city where I may encounter some unsavory individuals.
    I should have mentioned that part of my dilemma too is that I am a private investigator and not sure if I will feel comfortable with the Shield when I am working, also I live in Jacksonville, FL which is referred to regularly as an extra mag town...so I do love the Shield but not sure if in my situation it will be the best every day gun. I have a lot of considerations in this decision.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by PI9 View Post
    maybe I am lucky but I am yet to have 1 failure in this gun either..
    I had thousands of rounds through my 9c and never had an issue. You ain't lucky, it is normal. M&P's just eat anything. Congrats on the pistolas!

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Jacksonville, FL which is referred to regularly as an extra mag town
    I'm in Mandarin, which is a single-mag part of town. Same for Ponte Vedra. But if you're going downtown, westside, or northside, go hi-cap or extra mag for sure.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I put almost 450 rounds thru mine today - 2 seperate trips today. Damn, my thumbs are killing me... I still only have 2 mags. The springs are still stiff from being new, and I'll tell ya... 450 rounds is a lot to load in 2 small mags :)

Anyway - I think this is my favorite subcompact I have ever owned. I shoot it better than even the USPc 9 and USPc45 I once had (and as ya know - those are not really much in the way of "compacts"). I've owned a Glock 26 and P99 compact before too...

Obviously, people who know me know my Beretta 92s are my favorite. But, I REALLY like this gun. 1 handed and double taps... Works nice.

tested out the Critical Defense ammo in it today. CD will shoot low in my 92s. But in my 9mm Shield, it is dead on. I shot it a bit better than hydrashok.

Ao, I have new carry ammo for this 1 gun. I'll have to stock some more up now.
    Bark'n likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    I'm in Mandarin, which is a single-mag part of town. Same for Ponte Vedra. But if you're going downtown, westside, or northside, go hi-cap or extra mag for sure.
    Yeah, we spend a lot of time down town, never have been in a situation where I even thought about needing my gun though...makes me think the Shield would be enough but you never know.

Tim

Links