storing gun with slide locked open?

This is a discussion on storing gun with slide locked open? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In reading the thread regarding 'should you pull the trigger to make sure the chamber is empty' several posts were made saying they stored their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: storing gun with slide locked open?

storing gun with slide locked open?

In reading the thread regarding 'should you pull the trigger to make sure the chamber is empty' several posts were made saying they stored their gun in their safe with the slide locked open.

didn't want to hijack that thread, but I do want to know about this.

I was under the impression that you should NOT store your gun with the slide locked open. Bad for the recoil spring, etc.

Was hoping those more knowledgeable than myself could offer their thoughts on why/why not this is ok/not ok. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

From the standpoint of spring life, for most guns it shouldn't make a difference. For some of the very compact pistols that have relatively low recoil spring replacement intervals (e.g., 3" 1911s), it might take some life out of the spring. Once again, it's not leaving a spring under load that reduces its life, its cycling between loaded and unloaded (= normal use).

But recoil springs are a normal replacement item. I'd be more concerned with junk falling into the open action than with a little reduction in spring life. More to the point, why would you want to leave the action open?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I doubt it's bad for the recoil spring... but I wouldn't do it just because it allows dust and stuff to get in the barrel easier. Probably not a big deal either way, but that's why for me.

FDE
    My personal opinion is storing with the slide locked back isn't a good idea. Most semi autos the recoil spring is almost completely compressed when the slide is locked back. I know they say springs wear out from cycling but I have to think that over time this would weaken the spring also. I away store my guns with slides closed and safety check them anytime I pull them from their spot in my safe.

will it hurt ...NO; but why stress the springs unnecessary and increase the chance of failure

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Springs will take a "set" under compression. Ny autos stay slide closed unlees needed to be open.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I store my guns with the mags out, slides back, bolts and breeches open, always have. Not much extra dust gets in my safe and when Im not using them and they are out of the safe, I have them in a case. I haven't had any problems with the recoil springs.
    In my mind, this way there is no question.
    But again, like pulling the trigger to see if your gun is loaded or not......its a personal choice.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

You store a gun the way the factory ships it
    gottabkiddin and kmagnuss like this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    You store a gun the way the factory ships it
    Why?
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I would rather use chamber flags if I were so inclined. Visual and physical indicator without much down side.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I personally store all of my handguns inside a padded case, inside of my locked safe, fully loaded. I clean and wipe down and I have a layer of wax paper inside the padded case. This keeps the protective layer of oil from getting soaked into the foam and prevents the foam from absorbing moisture and holding it agianst the firearm. All of my carry guns are also stores in this manner fully loaded. My personal opinion is the less I load and unload, the less handling, chance for errors, etc. I always treat them as if they are loaded because they are.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If your in the habit of checking a firearm to make sure its"safe", in a safe manner, like you should,I don't think its unsafe to store them slides down.Really, its just a personal thing,open,closed,ford,chevy,whatever, as long as your safe and consistant about your gun safety.

Store it anyway you want it makes little to no difference.
    Some of mine are stored loaded an empty weapon Rock.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I can't think of any good reason or purpose in storing a pistol with the slide locked back. I can think of several reasons not to do so though. No contest.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Administrator
    Spring Compression & Spring "SET" FYI

These days...gun spring manufacturers "factor in" the expected spring "set" prior to making the springs.
    So while it is true that recoil springs and magazine springs will take a certain degree of initial "set" - it's a planned for and expected occurrence.
    The springs AFTER they take their "set" are correct for the firearm or magazine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links