Ladies! What do you carry, how do you carry?

This is a discussion on Ladies! What do you carry, how do you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new and havn't purchased a gun yet, concerned about hiding a gun! Need advice how to hide and what to get. I know I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ladies! What do you carry, how do you carry?

Ladies! What do you carry, how do you carry?

I'm new and havn't purchased a gun yet, concerned about hiding a gun! Need advice how to hide and what to get. I know I need to hold and shoot some guns, what to start with?

2. Remove Ads

Hi and welcome Sue!! For a fast answer to your question, I carry a Ruger LCP IWB at about 4:00 in a CrossBreed MiniTuck.

As far as being concerned about hiding it, I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from. I got an ittybitty gun so that I could conceal with girly clothes, but I still felt like I had "I'VE GOT A GUN" written on my forehead for a few weeks. You'll get used to it though. I forget I have it on me and wear it from the time I wake up until I'm getting into my PJs. Check out this video and others by that user, she's a great resource. There's also Cornered Cat, but I feel like I got more out of faliaphotography and posting on forums.

I'll leave gun suggestions to the guys here. The only thing I'll say is to try and shoot one if you can, and if you can't, at LEAST take a trip to the gun shop and see how one feels in your hand.
    HpyAltitude likes this.

FDE
    No I'm not a lady but I have helped a few women get started carrying. First if you are inexperienced with hand guns you need to see if a local club or gun shop offers carry classes for beginners. As far as concealing your gun I agree 100% with the crossbreed minituck IWB(in waist band)and a small easily concealable gun. Many women like to carry in their purse but extra attentiveness needs to be practiced not to ever become separated from your purse and gun. My suggestions for guns to look into would be:
    S&W J-frame revolver in .38 special
    Because of ease of use and best reliability

Sig P238 - .380 acp
    Because slide requires little strength to retract, only slightly bigger than Ruger LCP but much easier to shoot accurately and much less recoil than most other pocket sized 380 acp guns.

S&W M&P Shield in 9mm
    Because m&p's have an good reputation for reliability, a lifetime warranty and great customer service, 9mm is cheap ammo, carry gun of the year IMHO

Mrs Superhouse carries a Glock 26 in a Fist IWB and a Seecamp .25 in a locally made pocket holster as a backup. She's suffering with an injury to her strong side arm and is currenly working with a Tomcat in .32 with CT laser grips carried in a belt pouch kind of thing. The Tomcat is a go-to gun for folks with weak hands, grip problems, injuries, and such.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I just got an M&P Shield in 9mm. My wife now wants one as well! Presently my wife carries a Ruger SP-101 5 shot snub nose revolver and a Ruger LCP mini .380. But since I've gotten the M&P Shield, she is really liking that one. Plus it is a 9mm which is going to have better stopping power than the .38 special and .380 acp. One of the things women are raving about the new M&P Shield is that it fits their hand well, the recoil is very manageable and it's easy to conceal and the controls are easy for women to manipulate. It's also proving to be ultra-reliable.

I will point out that guns are a very personal thing. It is always best to choose your own. It is even better to be able to shoot as many different types and sizes as you can. Some places rent guns, but where I live, that's not an option without driving 100 miles. 9mm seems to be a caliber most shooters can control well, including novice shooters that is still a reputable self defense caliber. It is also probably the most popular self defense caliber and the ammo is cheaper to buy than .40 caliber, .45 acp, .357 mag and even .380 acp.

I am not pushing the M&P Shield, as there are many, many fine guns out there. I would just say, it it probably one to consider given how it has performed since being introduced.

Just check out all the recent M&P Shield threads on our forum in recent weeks. A simple search will bring up quite a few threads.

Spirit51 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    Have you gone out and done any shooting yet? If not I would recommend that as your first stop. Guns feel a lot different when shot than they do in the gun store. If, however, you have done a lot of shooting and know what you like then you can move on to looking at what you need. This is usually based on lifestyle and clothing type.

If you are someone who hangs around in jeans and t-shirts all day then you can probably get away with concealing a large variety of guns. If, however, you are refined to business wear 80% of the time that might change your options to something a little more concealable in a suit or dress.

As a woman and someone who has sold guns to women and taught women how to shoot I've seen many of them choose mid-size 9mms such as Glock 19s (or 26s on the small side), S&W M&P 9cs, Bersas, Springfield XD compacts and the like. But, as I said, those options might change depending on your needs and clothing styles.

Personally, I carry a Glock 19 most of the time in an OWB holster on my strong-side hip, just behind the hip. This is my carry method a VAST majority of the time because most of the time I have the luxury of wearing comfy clothes. If, however, I were to go back to the business world I would probably go for something like the M&P shield or some other single stack gun.. maybe I could get a G26 to work.... I like as high of capacity as I can get.

Good luck.

Some Gun Shops that have a range also rent to shoot various handguns. If there are any in your area you might want to go that route.

Some You Tubes on concealed carry for women
    concealed carry for women - YouTube
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I just got an M&P Shield in 9mm. My wife now wants one as well! Presently my wife carries a Ruger SP-101 5 shot snub nose revolver and a Ruger LCP mini .380. But since I've gotten the M&P Shield, she is really liking that one. Plus it is a 9mm which is going to have better stopping power than the .38 special and .380 acp. One of the things women are raving about the new M&P Shield is that it fits their hand well, the recoil is very manageable and it's easy to conceal. It's also proving to be ultra-reliable.
    Ummmmmm.... When your wife gets her Shield, can I have the SP101? I gotta get me one!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Hubby already told you what I carry. Ruger SP101 and a Raspberry colored Ruger LCP. I carry in my jeans pocket or my purse with a locked compartment for a weapon. I use a fanny pack when in the garden. I have disability so waist holster doesn't work for me. Check out some of the sites I have for you.

Here are a couple of U Tube sites that talk about women and carry options.

Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women - YouTube!

Flashbang bra holster demo, fast, and practical. - YouTube

FLASHBANG BRA HOLSTER as seen on NCIS:LA! - YouTube

You will see others to the right...check out a few.

Here is the site for a really good purse companies:

Coronado Leather | Handcrafted Firearm Concealment Leatherwear Handbags/ Luggage/ Jackets/ Law Enforecement

Gungear.com

Concealed Carry Purses | Concealment Purses, Handbags, Accessories & More
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Ummmmmm.... When your wife gets her Shield, can I have the SP101? I gotta get me one!
    No.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Here are my two M&P's. Both of them are 9mm. The black one is the single stack M&P Shield and the desert tan one is my full size M&P.

I also carry an OD green Springfield XD9sc (sub-compact). The black Glock 23 (.40 cal) I recently sold.

Revolvers I used to carry a lot and still do from time to time are the Ruger SP-101 snub nose. The bottom one is a Ruger Speed Six with a 3 inch barrel in .357 mag. One of the SP-101's is my wife's in .38 special and the other is mine in .357 mag.

Spirit51 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I love my P238, but not for beginning carriers in my opinion due to SA 1911 style. If you are familiar with this mode of carry then you're good to go.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I love my P238, but not for beginning carriers in my opinion due to SA 1911 style. If you are familiar with this mode of carry then you're good to go.
    I agree. I never recommend a 1911 as a first gun. Too many things to master on a 1911 and too many ways to get hurt with one if you don't know what your are doing. For example even experienced gun owners are reluctant to carry locked and loaded when they first get a 1911.

VIP Member
    You might want to look at the Kahr CW9 as an option. As to mode of carry, the links already given should give you a place to start looking. You'll have to try some and see what works for you.
    gasmitty and sliponby like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You might want to look at the Kahr CW9 as an option. As to mode of carry, the links already given should give you a place to start looking. You'll have to try some and see what works for you.
    Very good advice... this is a good starting point for the new shooter. Not so small that it will be difficult to actually hit what you're aiming at (like a snubby), but certainly easy to conceal and light enough to carry all day. And in spite of its relatively light weight, it is an easy shooter, with respect to recoil. After about 50 rounds with a snub .38 I've had all the fun I can stand, but I could shoot my CW9 all day.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links