Another satisfied Shield customer...Wow!

This is a discussion on Another satisfied Shield customer...Wow! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The manual thumb safety on the Shield is not a mechanical problem/issue, it's a training issue. While I haven't carried a 1911 in 10 years, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Another satisfied Shield customer...Wow!

The manual thumb safety on the Shield is not a mechanical problem/issue, it's a training issue.

While I haven't carried a 1911 in 10 years, I started out on 1911's. And while my Shield is the only gun in my current carry rotation with a manual thumb safety, I choose not to use it.

However, in two days I will have owned my Shield exactly one month and I am already in the habit of sweeping the safety off, even though I never engage it. As a matter of fact, I am now in the habit of sweeping the non-existent safety off on all the guns I carry.

It's a matter of training to sweep the safety off. After literally hundreds of times of practicing the draw and sweeping the safety off as the gun comes up, it's merely a matter of getting it ingrained into your muscle memory.

I never had an issue of forgetting to sweep the safety off on a 1911 when I carried them, and to date I've never had an issue of going through the motion of sweeping the unengaged safety off on the shield. And it has transferred over to the XD9, the LCP and the full size M&P, none of which has a manual thumb safety.

Again, it's nothing more than a training issue. It's not a mechanical issue.
    nizachon and Philly Boy like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Chance of forgetting to disengage the thumb safety or accidentally turning the thumb safety on with a gun that doesn't have a thumb safety = 0. Chance of forgetting to disengage the thumb safety or accidentally turning the thumb safety on with a gun that DOES have a thumb safety = I don't know but I know it it higher than zero and I want the odds stacked in my favor as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The manual thumb safety on the Shield is not a mechanical problem/issue, it's a training issue.

While I haven't carried a 1911 in 10 years, I started out on 1911's. And while my Shield is the only gun in my current carry rotation with a manual thumb safety, I choose not to use it.

However, in two days I will have owned my Shield exactly one month and I am already in the habit of sweeping the safety off, even though I never engage it. As a matter of fact, I am now in the habit of sweeping the non-existent safety off on all the guns I carry.

It's a matter of training to sweep the safety off. After literally hundreds of times of practicing the draw and sweeping the safety off as the gun comes up, it's merely a matter of getting it ingrained into your muscle memory.

I never had an issue of forgetting to sweep the safety off on a 1911 when I carried them, and to date I've never had an issue of going through the motion of sweeping the unengaged safety off on the shield. And it has transferred over to the XD9, the LCP and the full size M&P, none of which has a manual thumb safety.

Again, it's nothing more than a training issue. It's not a mechanical issue.
    10thmtn likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have to agree with Rollo a bit. I fondled a Shield at a shop one day and did some dry firing. I forgot the safety 4-5 times out of 10. I do understand if you're used to it, you're much better off. I'm one of those who can't do it, neither is my wife. If they came out with one w/o a safety, I may have my wife looking at them. As of right now, she's a G19 girl. She feels a PM9 is too small, so a Shield may be better for her.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Chance of forgetting to disengage the thumb safety or accidentally turning the thumb safety on with a gun that doesn't have a thumb safety = 0. Chance of forgetting to disengage the thumb safety or accidentally turning the thumb safety on with a gun that DOES have a thumb safety = I don't know but I know it it higher than zero and I want the odds stacked in my favor as much as possible.
    After I felt how much force it took to turn it on, I have no question in my mind that leaving it off, it will stay off. It isn't going to "accidentally turn on."
    ironmike86 and Philly Boy like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Rollo with a due respect semi or revolver safety or no safety there is ALWAYS a chance of something to go wrong or malfunction . Thats why constant training and practice for such occasions along with regular training/practice. Which will lower the chances and prepare you for such an event. The "sheild's" safety takes a good amount of pressure to engauge . People who chamber a round before they carry have the chance of not doing so 1 time which might be the time they need it . Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    Rollo with a due respect semi or revolver safety or no safety there is ALWAYS a chance of something to go wrong or malfunction . Thats why constant training and practice for such occasions along with regular training/practice. Which will lower the chances and prepare you for such an event. The "sheild's" safety takes a good amount of pressure to engauge . People who chamber a round before they carry have the chance of not doing so 1 time which might be the time they need it . Just saying
    EXACTLY! There is ALWAYS a chance of a failure. Which is exactly why I try to minimize the potential points of failure by not carrying a gun that has stuff on it that doesn't need to be on it. Again, not a criticism against those choose to carry a firearm with a manual safety, it's just my personal philosophy. It's part of the reason I am really struggling with the new Springfield XDS (assuming it ever comes out). I am very interested in the in the 9mm version but I don't like the grip safety. I am a little more forgiving of grip safeties because you basically can't not engage it if your holding the gun but back to my original philosophy it's still a potential point of failure that that need to be there.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Saw the Shield in the LGS and really liked thye feel. I thought it would make a great carry gun, slim and managable. However it sits, size wise, between my H&K P2000sk (sub-compact) and my Kahr PM9 so I really can not justify a purchase plus IMO it is not a "pocket carry" gun.

I completely agree with those who have no interest in a safety on a carry gun. On VERY rare occasions, maybe 2% of the time I carry a 1911 but otherwise no safetys. I shoot a 1911 in competition and will still on occasion forget to swipe the safety under stress.

VIP Member
    It's still one more possible point of failure. I'm not criticizing anyone that chooses to carry a firearm with a thumb safety, just not for me. While your right that it will probably never be accidental knocked out of position, Mr. Murphy has a bad habit of showing up at the worst times.

^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

Why would they not offer it in the same styles /configurations as the double stack M&P?
    Do they think the people that are going to buy the shield are going to be stupider by nature and need a safety on this type of weapon?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Being a 1911 guy, the thumb safety is a natural for me. I ran the first rounds through my Shield 40 yesterday and I'm pretty pleased. I'll probably have to do some trigger work on it. I'm sure it'll get better after a few hundred rounds but it kind of has a long way to go. All in all, and so far, I think I've got a keeper.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Being a 1911 guy, the thumb safety is a natural for me.
    the reason people don't like the safety usually has little to do with how instinctive it is to operate.

absolutely not trying to pick a fight though. if you want or at least don't mind the safety then this is a sweet option. a little bigger and heavier than others in its class but great sights and an awesome trigger.

EXACTLY! There is ALWAYS a chance of a failure. Which is exactly why I try to minimize the potential points of failure by not carrying a gun that has stuff on it that doesn't need to be on it. Again, not a criticism against those choose to carry a firearm with a manual safety, it's just my personal philosophy. It's part of the reason I am really struggling with the new Springfield XDS (assuming it ever comes out). I am very interested in the in the 9mm version but I don't like the grip safety. I am a little more forgiving of grip safeties because you basically can't not engage it if your holding the gun but back to my original philosophy it's still a potential point of failure that that need to be there.
    Our range owner has a friend whose life was saved by the grip safety on an XD. BG grabbed someone's XD and tried to fire it while in a fight. BG tried to fire the gun with improper grip, wouldn't fire, and he was subdued by an officer & the friend that had the gun pointed at his face by the BG and a LEO at the scene. The good guy was very thankful for the grip safety that kept the XD from firing.

Sorry for interrupting, just wanted to share this about the XD grip safety feature.

Saw the shield at the gun show this weekend. Very nice feel.

One dealer had 1-9mm and 2-.40's selling them for ... $500. ech. He said he sold 2 9's and 1 .40 but that's more then I'd spend. YMWV

Another dealer said he brought 2-9mm's and 2-.40's to the show and sold them both for the MSRP of $450. and had 3 more of each back at his store. He added that once the new gun on the shelve syndrome wore off, sometime after summer, the price should drop to about $375 or just under $400. adding he'd wait till then.

So yes I too would like to see them make one without the safety but if you need to, it's just something you train to except.

And ... I can be patient so I'll wait for the price to drop to the $375 range. Who knows maybe by then they will have a non-safety issue

Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    Our range owner has a friend whose life was saved by the grip safety on an XD. BG grabbed someone's XD and tried to fire it while in a fight. BG tried to fire the gun with improper grip, wouldn't fire, and he was subdued by an officer & the friend that had the gun pointed at his face by the BG and a LEO at the scene. The good guy was very thankful for the grip safety that kept the XD from firing.

Sorry for interrupting, just wanted to share this about the XD grip safety feature.
    I'd love to read the police report. PM me any info you feel comfortable sharing.

i was referring I a thumb manipulated external safety though and not a passive grip safety.

Distinguished Member
    Went out to the range at our gun club tonight and shot several more rounds though my wife's Shield 9mm. As it happened, a guy was there shooting his .40 cal Shield and so we traded for a mag and I have to say that I was impressed. The recoil on the .40 was such that I really couldn't distinguish much of a difference, if any, from the 9mm. And he said the same thing. Just thought I would throw that out for anyone contemplating doing the .40.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links