1911 Question - Steel vs Aluminum

This is a discussion on 1911 Question - Steel vs Aluminum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; you will thank yourself at the end of a long day! My Ultra CDP is a breeze to carry IWB or SOB. Just got back ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Question - Steel vs Aluminum

Go With Aluminum...

you will thank yourself at the end of a long day!

My Ultra CDP is a breeze to carry IWB or SOB. Just got back from a moving party for a neighbor...SOB (my carry...not the neighbor)...stood, sat, drove, and no one even thought I had a weapon.

My shirt was open, and one of my neighbors noticed that there was nothing on my hip...had no idea it was at 5:30...and I didn't mention it!

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I dont think that Aluminum frames vs. Steel is quite the issue it used to be. There are many well known brands that have aluminum recievers that have performed well with few issues. I have 5 Sigs, they are all aluminum recievers and I've shot the heck out of all of them.

The steel will take more abuse in the long run, but really, how many of us are really going to shoot a gun enough to wear it out ? If one looks at a carry gun and the percentage that it is carried, vs. the percentage it is actually shot, I think that comfort and concealability become the major issue. Or course being able to hit the target with what you've got is a consideration, but fact of the matter is that most guns are capable of better accuracy then their owners are capable of making them perform.

What the aluminum framed gun WILL DO, is let you carry it for longer periods of time than the same gun in a steel frame. The issue here is comfort. If its too much of a chore to carry a steel framed gun then you wont carry it....and if you leave it home the one time you need it it wont matter how much it weighed.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp View Post
    Hello. If interested, here are some observations on the aluminum vs. steel-framed 1911's:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/L...ht%201911s.htm

Best.
    Another excellent article. I knew about the feedramp issues but had never given much thought to the plunger tube stability, it makes perfect sense though. Have to agree with the "carried a lot, shot a little" reasoning behind owning a lightweight as well - it's exactly why I'm looking at lightweight Commanders.
    Jack

Hello. If interested, here are some observations on the aluminum vs. steel-framed 1911's:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/L...ht%201911s.htm
    mr camp,
    every time you post i learn something new. thank you.

Senior Moderator
    mr camp,
    every time you post i learn something new. thank you.
    I'll second that statement. His website is good enough that I've bookmarked it and read it occasionly. Exellent articles.

I wholeheartedly reccomend his site to anyone even remotley interested in the finer workings of guns.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Thank you all very much. The "Combat Carry" site provides much good information in my view and I'm happy to contribute what I can to it.

Best.

Hello. Thank you all very much. The "Combat Carry" site provides much good information in my view and I'm happy to contribute what I can to it.

Best.
    Hey Man! Thanks. This thread has helped me a lot. I am now comparing the lightweights since I really want something that will carry since I already have two 45s that are not ideal for that purpose.

This is a great site!

I'm no expert, but my light weight S&W 1911SC commander is everything I need in a carry gun, and I carry it every day.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Steel vs. Aluminum ??

If you CAN shoot a steel weapon and you CAN'T shoot a aluminum...more practice is needed.

If you are worried that the aluminum frame will wear out before a steel frame would...wait til you have 20,000rds thru it to start being concerned.

Now if you just simply want to carry the extra weight,then go for it. -------

VIP Member
    Concise and enlightening, as all your articles, Mr. Camp.

Most of us are already carrying a few POUNDS of extra weight around our waists:)

I have worn out steel 1911's after 10 spring changes of 10K rounds each. I have found that the force cadence of a five shot burst differs enough that I prefer to practice with and carry the same weight. Since I find I'm slowing down a bit with the years, my next carry/practice piece will be a Kimber alloy/stainless pro carry with night sights and CT grip.

What I carry a lot, I like to shoot a lot.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Administrator
    Let's not forget the Titanium frames.

Lighter than steel & tougher than Aluminum.

Possibly some inherent galling problems though depending on which slide and lube you choose to use.

I just bought a Para Ordinance LTC lightweight with aluminum frame for ccw. I have been carrying a Kel-Tec P-11 which is very easy to carry with the belt clip. I wanted something heavier though since I shoot a 1911 in matches. So far i really like the LTC. Got a Mitch Rosen Summer Special holster for it. Great!

either will be fine i have a light weight springer and no probolems i did have a problem with a 1911sc

I carry a S&W1911/.45 scandiunm 41/4"barrel PD everyday. That's from the time I get up till I go to bed. One thing I can warn you about is don't use open followers in your mags like CMC's or Colts. They will damage your gun. There is just a little more felt recoil, but nothing to worry about. Best buy going right now. I got about 700 flawless rounds through mine.
    You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

VIP Member
    I'd still go steel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links