Oh, am I in trouble!

This is a discussion on Oh, am I in trouble! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I broke a filling and need to get it fixed at the dentist. I passed on a Colt mustang because of it. But I ...

Thread: Oh, am I in trouble!

Oh, am I in trouble!

Well, I broke a filling and need to get it fixed at the dentist. I passed on a Colt mustang because of it. But I was driving by the local range/gunstore and this poor little thing looked so lonely and needed a home. It just sat there wimpering and cold and looking at me with that pleading expression. Worse yet I had a credit card.

I gots to do some side work now! The only good thing was my wife, after giving me one of those "Oh you got to be kidding" looks decided I work hard, look out for and protect her and I hadn't bought a gun in a long, long time. See, protecting your wife does have even more benefits than I thought! But now I gotta really behave for a while, cause then I'm going to need another holster......

I'll let you all know how the break in goes! In case you don't recognise it, it's a Springfield GI Micro Compact. Met another shooter who has one and after the breakin and fluff and buff it's been dead on reliable. I hope mine does the same!
    Attached Images
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Nice little gun

You left out the part about how much you paid for it? We want to know what a good deal you got.

But be sure to budget for all the add ons. You'll need at least two holsters, because the first one won't be quite right and you will have to buy a second one. Then you'll need an aftermarket beavertail grip safety to replace that old fashioned grip safety. Don't forget a couple of Wilson magazines. I'll bet there is a plastic mainspring housing that needs to be replaced with real steel. How about some new thin grip panels in micarta or aluminum? That trigger looks pretty plain - an aftermarket aluminum McCormick would look sharp. And you can't have those simple little sights - you need real Weaver night sights.

Boy, this is mounting up! Better forget about dental work for awhile.

VIP Member
    That's pretty... Now I feel the need for a new gun.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

You left out the part about how much you paid for it ...
    Yeah, and how much it's gonna cost you, too. Though, she seems okay about it.

Good-looking little pistol, there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Don’t feel too bad, I know a lot of guys who have had that happen! Yeah… sure I do!
    It’s the anesthesia! Yeah… that’s it!
    Heck, I’ve got a dentist appointment coming up myself. It could even happen to me! (oh boy do I hope it does!)
    I'll be sure to bring the credit card too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Question Wishing you luck....you may need it....

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    In case you don't recognise it, it's a Springfield GI Micro Compact. Met another shooter who has one and after the breakin and fluff and buff it's been dead on reliable. I hope mine does the same!
    I have had two of these and I swear before GAWD Almighty....I'll NEVER own another. Both were POS jam-a-matics. I couldn't finish a magazine without a malfunction. Many were the second or third shot. My buddies in my IDPA club tried to warn me both times. It screwed up on them, too. I think Miggy (from this board) shot one of them once and it jammed on him! I almost sent my first one to Wilson Combat for the reliability package. I spoke to them first and they said they could do it for $100, but because it is a sub 4 inch 1911 design they will not warranty the work! I own both a 1911 Government and a 1911 Combat Commander and never have had a problem with either. Jeff Cooper even mentioned the reliability troubles on sub 4" 1911's in his monthly column in Guns & Ammo magazine. Good luck...you may need it. Be sure to run several hundred rounds of carry ammo before you trust your lift to it. Also, watch your GRIP...these things seem to be extremely sensitive to improper grip technique.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Pogo2, Paid 550 for it. Steel mainspring housing! Grips I make myself (hey 4800 SF of wood shop and 1200 of electronics. Gotta do something fun in there!) and they will either be bocote or zebrano, I might even put some mastodon ivory inserts in if I'm feeling squirelly. Ooh, wait, I've also got some tight quilted maple and even a chunk of grenadillo. Decisions, decisions. Wilson or Tripp mags for sure. Already got a favorite holster design for my LW Commander just got to save some funds! Then for sights maybe Heinie straight eights. The beavertail, trigger and trigger job! Action tune! Laser!!!! Auuuggghhhh.......

Maybe I should just go shooting?

Exsoldier, actually thinking about it I know two shooters with the same gun. Both have several thousand rounds through 'em and they never miss a lick. They do usually need a few touches like feedramp polishes and spring and mag upgrades and they require a good shooting technique as well as a good break in period but then I knew this walking into the deal. I also have some really good gunsmithing resources available if needed on something of a barter basis. So I decided to take the plunge...
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

ElCruisr...so happy for you and your wife; sounds like she understands and values you! Nice looking new toy.

ExSoldier...did Santa die too???

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    ExSoldier...did Santa die too???
    I don't get it. Santa?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Sounds like you have a pair of Keepers. One great pistol and a great and understanding wife. A lucky man you are sir.

Roger

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Dang, I wish there was a gunstore between my house and dentist, sounds like a great excuse.

Sweeeeeet!
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

jealous....
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Links