Walther PPK Pocket Carry

Walther PPK Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Walther PPK Pocket Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Everyone, I've been thinking about eventually getting a Walther PPK. While I've thought about the SIG P238 and Colt Mustang Pocketlite for pocket carry, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Walther PPK Pocket Carry

Walther PPK Pocket Carry

Hey Everyone,

I've been thinking about eventually getting a Walther PPK. While I've thought about the SIG P238 and Colt Mustang Pocketlite for pocket carry, I just don't really think I have too much need for one since I 1. Don't pocket carry much and 2. Have a S&W 642 for that use when I need to.

So enter the PPK, .32ACP. Yep, I like it because it's the Bond gun. Just something cool to have in the collection. Now to help me justify it in my brain, I'd like to know if anyone carries or has carried a PPK in pocket. Just wondering how it has worked out for you or if you have any thoughts you'd like to share.

Thanks everyone!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Too big IMO for pocket carry. I have the Walther in PPKS .380 and I find it to be a nice IWB carry with a Ritchie Holster. She's also a heavy gun for the size, all metal. I pocket carry a Ruger LCP. Carries the same # of rounds as the PPK. I also thing the hammer and other bits might snag a bit when drawing.

But maybe you have really big pockets? Just my $.02. I love my little PPK and often it's my daily carry.

Jim

THEPPK has a horrible trigger and even though it is Bond cool, there are a lot of better options for pocket carry.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    THEPPK has a horrible trigger and even though it is Bond cool, there are a lot of better options for pocket carry.
    Horrible trigger? Dang, my PPK/S (older Interarms) has an awesome trigger; especially SA. Now I do agree that there are better options for pocket carry; I have tried the LCP and PM9, and always end up going back to the Airweight J-Frame 642/442.

Sorry. I cant talk you into a ppk .32. I've got the 380 and for its size its weigh (ha! get it?) too heavy. I agree with the cool factor though. It's defenitely cool

VIP Member
    I have one in 380. It is heavy and I dont think it would work well for me in my pocket. Good luck on your quest, but I'd say there were much better choices for pocket carry out there.

I agree with most of the previous posts above.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

If you decide to go with the PPK, go with an older Interarms model. You'll be glad you did. I've got the Smith & Wesson version PPK/S. It's too heavy for pocket carry, the extended beavertail is atrocious and destroys the lines of the gun, and the overall fit and finish leave a lot to be desired. I also have a Sig-Sauer P-232 with the Sig night sights and Hogue grips. It's a delight to carry and is the pistol that the Walther should be. It's also a lot less finicky about the ammo that it is fed than the Walther. Like you, I had to have the Bond gun. Well, I've got one. It spends most of its time in the safe. Do yourself a favor and take a look at the Sig before you buy your Walther.
    kb2wji and Kilowatt3 like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I love the look and feel of both but you are right, between the 2 the Sig is the better gun.. I just can't believe no one makes one of these in 9mm.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    I love the look and feel of both but you are right, between the 2 the Sig is the better gun.. I just can't believe no one makes one of these in 9mm.
    I'm not sure (somebody with more expertise can probably say for sure), but I would bet that the blow back design on these pistols might have something to do with them not being chambered in larger calibers.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Unfortunately Sig P232's are hard to find right now (at a decent price anyway). Also, I have been unable to get any idea from SIG as to when they will make another production run. I'll buy one, when I can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by SigPapa226 View Post
    Unfortunately Sig P232's are hard to find right now (at a decent price anyway). Also, I have been unable to get any idea from SIG as to when they will make another production run. I'll buy one, when I can find one.
    I believe Bud's in Kentucky has some in stock.

I suspect some folks may have gotten overzealous in this thread. The point of this thing is not to find a pocket carry gun, it is about the experiences people who own it have had with pocket carry. I'm aware there are better choices in pocket carry guns. I already own a better pocket carry in the 642.

I appreciate the feedback on the physical characteristics, that's the kind of stuff I was hoping to find out. Looks like I'll have to pick it just for the "cool to have" factor, which probably means it slides down the list with the lever action .45-70 and single action army.

Funny you mention the SIG P232! My Dad has one, awesome gun. Love it. He won't give it up, otherwise I'd try and score it off of him. I cringe everytime I see the letters "LCP" because it is one of the guns I absolutely loathe. Feels awful in my hand and I've never felt more uncomfortable firing any other gun.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

the ppk/s was the only gun that I ever owned that I absolutely hated!
    Philly Boy likes this.

VIP Member
    GDM.

Well I guess I will be the opposite of others. I have owned several Walthers over the years and one of my favorites was the .32 ACP model, police trade in gun that I had purchased online from somewhere.

It was blued steel had a smooth but long DA trigger pull, a great SA trigger and was dead bang accurate to 15-20 yards in the SA mode. It came with plastic grips and two mags, one flush fit and one had a finger extension.

I shot a lot of .32 ball out of it but the only HP I remember is liking was Winchester Silvertips. I didn't carry it in my pants pocket but it did ride nicely in the pocket of my uniform jacket or in an ankle rig for many years.

I traded it for something and always kind of missed it after that. Yes their were/are other choices but it was one of those special guns that just fit into that niche.

I have not shot or handled the newer guns but the .32 surplus guns are still around at good prices. I say go for it this is one of those guns that you want and you can make an informed decision about it.
    AK_Brian likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Sorry, gdm. I misread your question. If a PPK is on your must have list, I stick with my original advice. I would look for a good Interarms model rather than opting for a new one manufactured by Smith & Wesson. The original design, even with the dreaded "slide bite" was a superior gun to the "improved" Smith & Wesson version. This forum has a companion Walther Forum (link at the bottom of the page) whose members can tell you more about PPK's. Good luck finding your gun.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/t...5-98-cond.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links