Replacing an M&P 9c?

This is a discussion on Replacing an M&P 9c? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by crue2009 i would keep you M&P and get a Ruger lcp or lcr..i pocket carry both very easily in a Desantis Nemesis..i ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Replacing an M&P 9c?

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    i would keep you M&P and get a Ruger lcp or lcr..i pocket carry both very easily in a Desantis Nemesis..i paid $299.00 for the lcp and $399.00 for the lcr..if your able to save up more a little more money,the Kahr cm9 is a awsome pocket 9mm.
    Did you happen to compare the lcr to any of the S&W Airweights?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    Did you happen to compare the lcr to any of the S&W Airweights?
    yes,i also own a S&W 638 Airweight which is also a very good option and well proven design but the lcr is lighter has better grips and a better trigger..in reality,you can't go wrong with either though..

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    I'll also look at the Shield, but is it really that much smaller/lighter?
    It is definitely thinner than the compact. And that is a dimension of the gun in which a little bit means a whole lot. It also weighs 19 oz where the compact weighs 21.7 oz and will have even more weight because it holds more ammo.

If you step down in performance, you could go with a Ruger LCP in .380. Not my favorite gun for Primary defensive use, but with decent ammo it still in the ball game. It is as close to being invisible (regarding size and weight) as you're going to get and still go bang. I would still prefer to go with a 9mm if at all possible for a primary defensive gun/caliber.

The Shield is definitely worthy of serious consideration. I have one. My wife wants one. It's a good compact 9mm which is still built like a true fighting handgun.
    Sebass likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have gone through a Lcp, too small for my hands, a S&W 638-638, the hammer hung up on my pocket on the 37, the 38, my hand would ride up on the hump and the second shot was tough. Got a Lc9, perfect size but the trigger was just too long and broke too far back for me. Got a .380 Bodyguard and it fits my hand well and I can hit what I aim at. Bought a 642, love it and I can hit my target and follow up shots are easy. Just got the 9mm Shield and that is a dream come true, but not for pocket carry. Some of my old man jeans will hide the Shield well but it mostly rides iwb. I have a FS M&P9 that is a great house and range gun. I also have a 686 4" that is great for house and range. The three smaller guns cover all of my concealed carry needs, I just wish I did not have to burn through so many different guns to get here. Hope it is easier for you but try to shoot your gun before you buy it, I do not have that luxury here in upstate NY.
    Frank.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I feel much more confident with a hot 9mm JHP or solid copper bullet over any .380 load.

It also simplified my ammo spending down to 9mm, .357 SIG and 45ACP- after I buy a M&P45C later on.

No more .380, 38 special, .357 Magnum. 40 S&W or 10mm to worry about buying.

Can't wait to fire my Shield..but can't decide which load would be better from the 3 inch barrel.

www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by arkie45 View Post
    I bought an M&P Shield 9mm for my wife, and it is every bit as accurate as a 9c, smaller, lighter, thinner, and much better trigger. I like hers so much I'm getting one in 40 for myself. Here's a couple of comparison pics:

Attachment 59215Attachment 59216
    Those pics are convincing! I'm definitely adding the Shield to my list!

I have the m&p9c and taking awhile getting used to it but its coming around slowly. As for a smaller gun there are alot of single stack 9mms on the market today. Try as many as you can to see what fits you. Im seeing used m&ps goin for $375 to $450. I paid $489 new for mine.

I alternate between an m&p9c and a BG380. M&P with anything substantial enough to hold it up (cargo shorts, jeans, etc), and BG380 in gym type shorts. Works out fairly well for me. Would love to try out a Shield. On the list for "guns to buy before election".
    Bark'n likes this.

Problems with the LCP? Yup. You might like it so much that you buy two!

My needs are discreet, bordering on covert. I've settled on dual pocket carry. Gives me ambidextrous access and a NY reload. Depending on attire, its Glock 26/PM9; PM9/LCP; or LCP/LCP. Two LCPs only weigh 24 oz total - something to consider.

I do not feel undergunned with the .380. I use FMJ ammo, which will get the necessary penetration. I also ran the LCP through a low light pistol class, and it did very well.

If you do get the LCP, use the finger extension - it gives you a firm two-finger grip. Paint the front sight with a coat of white nail polish, and two coats of red florescent model paint (hobby shops sell it). I also highly recommend the Crimson Trace Laserguard.

Good luck, and stay safe.
    Spirit4earth and Bark'n like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

two very easy to carry single stacks with 7+1 9mm capacity. Very thin and light.
    Bersa BP 9CC and Kahr CW9. Price range $350-$425

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

It's always going to be a compromise. Always!

Generally speaking, the smaller the gun, the harder it is to master. The harder it is to shoot. The harder it is to manage recoil.

Generally speaking, the larger the caliber, the larger the explosion going off inside the gun and thus, felt recoil.

For me, I can shoot a sub-compact 9mm all day. But shooting a .40 cal Glock 27, my hand started getting numb after about 3 magazines even though I can shoot 600+ rounds from a .40 cal Glock 23 without a problem in a single setting. The G-27 was a scary accurate little gun, and I shot it accurately, but it wasn't fun to shoot beyond 3 magazines. So I went with a 9mm (XD9sc) because when I go shooting, I don't want to have to limit the number of rounds I shoot because of discomfort. Likewise shooting a 3.5 inch Colt Officers in .45 acp. I can shoot that one all day long without any problems.

Ruger LCP in .380 didn't take me long to master it. Because it's so tiny, if you don't have a solid grip on it, it tends to want to climb out of your hand. It does have a sharp recoil, on such a tiny grip to try and get a good purchase on. But with a good solid grip, I can shoot 200 rounds without my hand going numb like it did with less than 50 rounds on the G-27.

The bottom line is, you're just going to have to take the plunge and buy something you think will work. Then spend some time with it. Most impediments can be overcome with practice. However, if it's not your cup of tea, or you just can't make it work for you, then sell it and try again with something else.

It's always best to have an opportunity to try before you buy. But that is easier said than done in a lot of cases. For me, I have to drive 100 miles to find a gun shop/range which rents guns. And then, they almost always don't have every gun in their rental program which you want to try out. So you may be trying to decide between four different guns, but only get to rent one or two of them. So unless you have a friends who have many different guns, you may only be able to try a gun which is only similar to the one you want.

The good thing about guns is if you want to sell one which isn't working out for you, you can usually sell it without much, if any of a loss. And often times, even sell it for more than what you paid for it.

There's almost an infinite number of gun options out there. Styles, sizes, calibers, the options are almost limitless. And you can literally drive yourself crazy trying to nit-pic it to death.

In the end, you're going to have to hold your breath and make a choice. See if it works for you, or you can make it work for you and move on.

I used to agonize for well over a year, researching each and every detail about a gun purchase. Platform, style, size, caliber, ad nauseaum... and still, I got a few I didn't like. My last several gun purchases, I've basically thrown caution to the wind, done some in-depth internet research, asked around a little bit, and then gone out and bought the gun with maybe a months worth of debate over it. And in each of those purchases, I've ended up with excellent guns I've been more than happy with.

YMMV.
    smolck and helderberg like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sorry, but I just don't understand how an MP9c is too heavy/bulky. Does .2-.3 of an inch make that big of a difference for you? I've carried XD9sc's, XD45c's, Kimbers, XDm9&45 Compact 3.8, Para Warthog .45 with relative ease and I'm only 5'8". My current MP9c, CZ Compact 75 and CZ Rami 9mm carry wonderfully. One thing I did find out over the past few years is that an above average holster and a stiff, wide belt make a HUGE difference in all day comfort. Also, I was never a fan of IWB carry until I started carrying in the 1-2 o'clock position. That has proven to be the most comfortable carry position for me yet.

Forgot......also had a CW9 and I can't see any real world advantage it has over the MP9c.
    Last edited by CZRex; May 26th, 2012 at 09:28 AM.

I love my 9c....but I pocket carry or OWB my LCP most of the time. The 9c is a little heavy and wide...I bought a 17 round mag and x-grip and now it's my HD pistol.

Spirit,

I daily carry a M&P40c also but I understand the dress to the gun issue but there is no reason to go down to a .380. There are a lot of smaller 9mm on the market. I have a PPS9 and a LC9 for when I need something thinner or even in a pocket like shorts.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

I own an LCP and love it! In fact once I bought it I started carrying it more than my M&P40c. But i noticed one thing that made me very nervous recently. I hadn't shot my LCP in awhile and I didn't like my groupings. Conversely I loved my groupings with my M&P40c which was my previous carry gun prior to.

Now I'm carrying my 40c. Don't sacrifice your ability to be on target with appropriate stopping fire for pure comfort. I will still carry my LCP if clothing dictates but I feel much more secure with the larger 40c. More stopping power, better accuracy, larger magazine capacity better sights I could go on and on

Just my .02

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links