Replacing an M&P 9c?

This is a discussion on Replacing an M&P 9c? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an M&P 9c that I love. It's a great shooter. However, it's just a bit too heavy and bulky for me to carry ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Replacing an M&P 9c?

Replacing an M&P 9c?

I have an M&P 9c that I love. It's a great shooter. However, it's just a bit too heavy and bulky for me to carry easily, which will make me carry less often than I want to. I don't think I can get my money out of it if I were to sell it, so I think I'm stuck with it, but what would be a good smaller gun for CC that won't break my very limited bank? I like the 9mm platform, but the .380 could be okay, too. Maybe a revolver....but I like pistols.
    Advice will be appreciated!

On another note, what could I expect to get for my M&P with Trijicon sights, 3 holsters, and only 1000 rounds or so fired? (No mag safety, no thumb safety.)

2. Remove Ads

I have been looking at the shield, but have not been able to handle one in person.

I'm definitely looking for something that is substantially smaller/thinner.

OP, pass me an oar, we're in the same boat!! I know how you feel with the love/hate relationship with your M&P 9c, I dwell on this same issue a lot recently (have some fun money too and ready to burn a hole in my pocket!)

I too own an M&P 9c and love it for the fact that it CAN be concealed for daily carry, but is also large enough to shoot like a full sized handgun. It's a surprisingly great range gun but this is due to the fact that it really is essentially a full sized hand gun with two ends chopped off. I also love that it shares mags with its full sized brother, at a whopping 17 rounds!

The down side for me, is that I HAVE to dress around the gun. I can't just roll out the front door last minute in shorts and a T-shirt and throw on the M&P. To properly tote the M&Pc I have to wear my IWB holster @ 8:00 (I'm a lefty) and get a concealment garment like an untucked button down shirt.

If I was just posing for pictures a t shirt would work fine for IWB with the M&P, but in reality this just does not work for me. I find that with just a t shirt even slightly bending over will get my shirt to tuck in behind the grip, making it extremely obvious that I've got something there (I may even look like I'm shop lifting!). I've tried tucking in a t shirt with IWB, but if I bend over even once the shirt still gets captured behind the grip and prints horribly.

The only way I can effectively carry my M&Pc is with an untucked button down shirt used for concealment. It rarely gets trapped behind the grip and will almost never completely expose the pistol, yet I can draw extremely quickly and get rounds on target in well under 2 seconds with this method.

The problem is that This is t my usual attire, and on those Monday mornings where nothing is going right and all my concealment garments are "in the wash", I end up out the door while the M&Pc sits at home in the safe....

OP, does this at all sound familiar or is this just me?

I was in the EXACT same position with my 9c and going into summer thought it was too heavy to wear with shorts. Got a Ruger LCP and love it! Going to continue to use my 9c in the jeans weather months.

I wouldn't trade my 9c for the world! love that gun!

Problems, problems, problems! It's the fate of gun lovers, is it not?! Like when I was a sailboat fanatic and NO boat was going to solve all of my wants: it was always a compromise. Glock 26/27 or the S&W Shield are hard to beat on a day to day basis.And then there is the alternative that many of us have no patience for: save the $$$$$ and then get what seems the gun you must have. Good luck and remember: the fun is often in the pursuit, not always in the getting!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

With the price point of today's pocket .380's, around 270-300, I believe every ccw holder should have one. The gun is too small to not have on you.

I started my pistol career with a Ruger SR9C. It is an awesome gun, this, accurate, awesome trigger. The problem? I am a skinny guy. Here in Ohio, I can carry the sr9c with no problem from November - March. After that, the LCP comes out. Accurate out to 10 yards, tiny, lightweight, fits in a pocket or iwb...again, there is no reason to not have it on me.

I recently added an LC9, which is a great option that is in between the other rugers. If I could only have two out of the three, it would by far be the sr9c and lcp.

Also, with the pricepoint of the lcp, there is no reason to sell your mp9c. That can become your winter gun, range gun, and home defense gun.

cj
    Well, the Shield is the next step down...it's thinner, but still a little heavy for its size (but I still love how mine shoots!). My next personal step would be to try a CM9 or Beretta Nano (I was all set to pick up the next CM9 that came into my store when the Shield was announced).

As for pricing, the holsters themselves might have a large impact on pricing. 2 Fobus holsters and a Remora of course won't be worth what 3 custom leather might be. Of course, as a 9c owner, I'll be curious to see what you've got

So here's another bit of my dilemma which may help the OPs decision:

I already own a Ruger LCP. It is the exact opposite of the M&P; it's tiny, extremely easy to conceal (I pocket carry with a pocket holster) I can wear it all day, in ANY attire and completely forget I have it unless I need it. But it's also not much gun for certain situations. Oh, and it's about the most not fun range gun you can have. It'll do the job, but it's a snappy little gun!

So here we sit with Goldilocks and the Three Bears, the porridge is always just a little too hot or a little too cold!

Recently I was eyeballing the DiamondBack DB 9mm, it feels great in your hands and is slightly bigger than the LCP, but totes the 9mm round and has a longer trigger that may be more appropriate for appendix carry (I would not feel comfortable appendix carrying my M&pc, no safety and has a crisp, short trigger pull (thanks APEX!))

But I've also read terrible reviews on the DB9 as well as seen multiple reports of kabooms with them.

Now I'm eyeballing Guns like the Kahr PM9 or the Kel Tec 9mm variants.

I guess that's how we end up with a safe full of guns!!

I retired my M&P9C from carry duty because of width. You may want to try the Kahr CW9 or CM9. Both are very light and very thin. I carried a CM9 for a short time and in my galco king tuck, I would literally forget it was there. Main thing about the Kahr that is way different from the M&P is the trigger.

I'm not alone! :)) The LCP sounds like a good option. If the trigger pull differs from that of the 9c, it's okay because I'm a relatively new shooter and I don't have any attachments yet! I do love my M&P, but I'm a small person with curves (female curves!) The 9c might be fine in a Safepacker when I'm out hiking, but for daily carry, I do think a .380 might be a lot better.
    I've read great reviews on the LCP, but are there any known issues with the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    Well, the Shield is the next step down...it's thinner, but still a little heavy for its size (but I still love how mine shoots!). My next personal step would be to try a CM9 or Beretta Nano (I was all set to pick up the next CM9 that came into my store when the Shield was announced).

As for pricing, the holsters themselves might have a large impact on pricing. 2 Fobus holsters and a Remora of course won't be worth what 3 custom leather might be. Of course, as a 9c owner, I'll be curious to see what you've got
    cj, my holsters aren't fancy. A Fobus roto, 2 Remoras, a Safariland 6377 (which I do want to sell), and a CBST that I got used. The CBST is by far the best for me, but sadly I guess I do need to downsize.

Does anyone know what Ruger's warranty is?

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    The down side for me, is that I HAVE to dress around the gun. I can't just roll out the front door last minute in shorts and a T-shirt and throw on the M&P. To properly tote the M&Pc I have to wear my IWB holster @ 8:00 (I'm a lefty) and get a concealment garment like an untucked button down shirt.
    John, I had quite the same problems that you have w/ the shirt tucking between the 9c and myself when I would bend over. I found that if I move the pistol as close to 9:00 as I can (I have 9:00 between the front clip and the holster body) that it hides very well and no longer lets my shirt hang up. I also keep the pistol grip just above my pants so that I can get a full grip, but it is as low as possible. Might be worht a shot if you haven't tested out all of your options yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    On another note, what could I expect to get for my M&P with Trijicon sights, 3 holsters, and only 1000 rounds or so fired? (No mag safety, no thumb safety.)
    Spirit... good and bad news for you. There is still decent demand for the 9c's (that's the good), but the bad news is that the Shield has really taken away some of that demand, and also you live in a state with the best M&P prices I have seen anywhere. Lawmen's in Raleigh sells an M&P, 3 mags, and night sites for $485 (I think that's what I paid.)

(mods... if this is considered advertising, I apologize. I read the rules again, and am not sure whether this posts breaks those or not)
    Last edited by swood; May 22nd, 2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added disclaimer
    Smith & Wesson M&P9c
    Sheilded Holsters Double Phalanx

Quote Originally Posted by swood View Post
    John, I had quite the same problems that you have w/ the shirt tucking between the 9c and myself when I would bend over. I found that if I move the pistol as close to 9:00 as I can (I have 9:00 between the front clip and the holster body) that it hides very well and no longer lets my shirt hang up. I also keep the pistol grip just above my pants so that I can get a full grip, but it is as low as possible. Might be worht a shot if you haven't tested out all of your options yet.

Spirit... good and bad news for you. There is still decent demand for the 9c's (that's the good), but the bad news is that the Shield has really taken away some of that demand, and also you live in a state with the best M&P prices I have seen anywhere. Lawmen's in Raleigh sells an M&P, 3 mags, and night sites for $485 (I think that's what I paid.)
    Swood, I was robbed! I paid WAY too much for my M&P!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links