Beretta Tomcat Help

This is a discussion on Beretta Tomcat Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Several years ago, I bought a Tomcat in .32 ACP. After weeks of trying every ammo brand and bullet configuration I could order, I simply ...

Thread: Beretta Tomcat Help

Beretta Tomcat Help

Several years ago, I bought a Tomcat in .32 ACP. After weeks of trying every ammo brand and bullet configuration I could order, I simply gave up trying to fire 2 consecutive magazines without a malfunction. Now that I have discovered this forum, I thought someone might be able to tell me how to get this pistol running reliably. Is there a pistol smith who tunes Tomcats or will Beretta Factory Service help. Most stoppages are double feeds where it appears that rounds have been jarred loose from the magazines. I have several mags, factory and aftermarket. It does not appear to be a mag problem. Thank you!

2. Remove Ads

ED: I had a real problem with my Tomcat UNTIL I traded it in at Bud's for an INOX version.Voila!, no more problems. I have heard of others who also went to the Inox version and had no more problems. Give it a try and good luck!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I have had the same problems with a Beretta Bobcat. After many years of trying everything, I finally gave up and filed it away to the rear of the safe as unusuable. I won't sell it because that would be criminal of me.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    I use to have a Tomcat, traded when I bought my smith 442. What worked for me was to alternate a HP round and FMJ round, didn't have any feeding issues once I started this, however, I decided to sell it and up the caliber a little.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

My Bobcat works best when the mags are loaded two less than the capacity and when the gun is clean.

Nothing but FMJ rounds. However, my Inox eats Hornady Critical defense JHP just fine. An unreliable Berreta? Unacceptable, send it in for some tuning.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

I would send it to Beretta.

I would send it to Beretta as well. But mine has never had any issues..... shoot only FMJ's thru it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have a 3032 alley cat acp. Never had problems with ammo feeding. I did use FMJ with round nose..Winchester mostly. Yeah..i'd send it back to Beretta. That model has had a ton of cracked frames...so they are kinda used to having them show up. Kinda love that pistol...especially the pop-up barrel. Great way to check for a round in the chamber Good luck with your decision..
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

I have a Jetfire in .25, it is very similar.
    Verify that the slide return spring is not malformed. Remove it and verify that the two "legs" are parallel with each other and perpendicular to the coil also verify that the two legs hug the slide and not the grips when installed.
    This can be reshaped or if way out of shape replace it. It is easy to get this spring distorted when disassembling the gun.
    Also make sure that the slide rides smooth on the frame, not too lose not too tight and no burrs. Use plenty of lubricant.
    Last edited by dV8r; May 23rd, 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: SP
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I traded for a LNIB 3032 about two months ago. The frame cracked after only 80 rounds. I sent it back to Beretta and they replaced it with the "wide slide" model. It is definitely thicker but a gun this size it is still easy to hide in a pocket. I have about 150 rounds through this one with no problems.

i got a jetfire and two 21a. the 21a i have to load one round less to work. the jetfire just works. i would take the mags apart and clean them good. sometime dirt inside the mags will cause this problem.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links