what SIZE dot in a pistol red dot sight?

This is a discussion on what SIZE dot in a pistol red dot sight? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i would like to hear from those who have or are, using mini red dots such as the Delta Point or Trijicon on their carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: what SIZE dot in a pistol red dot sight?

what SIZE dot in a pistol red dot sight?

i would like to hear from those who have or are, using mini red dots such as the Delta Point or Trijicon on their carry gun(s). what would you recommend, the smaller, approx. 3 minute dot, or the bigger, approx. 8 minute dot?

my purpose would be self-defense at distances from 10' to perhaps 30'-50'.

2. Remove Ads

I would go with what best suits your eyes,but at 50' that 8 minute dot will just about cover a torso.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    self defense and past 21 feet is kinda hard to understand

but if you think you need a red dot in a SD sitaution.....8 moa cause the faster you cover the target and squeeze the trigger
    the better you chances of being able to help in your defense

wast of time in a gun fight trying to find the dot and time against you kills

the time you spend practicing to get the dot on target should prove to yourself that the dot isn't needed.
    a bright sun or refelection may wash out the dot---and you waste time looking for it instead of shooting...
    or the BG is wearing a red shirt
    or the sun is in your eyes

practice with it and a timmer;
    than without it and a timer.

upside is, either way you are practicing and trigger time is good (going with you know the proper drills)

i have a 2moa on my bullseye gun, a sig trailside for 25 yards
    a 3 moa attaches to my 45acp for bullseye (25 yards) and silloute out to 100 yards.

good luck
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I have Trijicon RM02s with the 8MOA dot on two of my pistols. It seems to be the most usable compromise between speed and accuracy, the 3MOA dots are just too small to pick up quickly. My patrol rifle optic has an adjustable dot that goes from 1-10MOA, under 50yds I keep it set on 10, it's faster and still plenty accurate.

Remember, an 8MOA dot covers an 8" area at 100yds, 4" at 50yds, 2" at 25yds, and so on. It's not as big as it sounds. Also, if your gun is set up right you'll have taller "suppressor sights" that will cowitness with the dot, so no worries aout the optic failing, etc.

This is my FNP-45 Tactical and FNS-9:
    Last edited by WC145; May 23rd, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
    sensei2 and BobR1 like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

sgb
    CQB, bigger is better.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'm running a Trijicon RMR02.
    RM02 RMR - Trijicon, Inc.

wast of time in a gun fight trying to find the dot and time against you kills--unless your opponent is in cover and only partially exposed.
    a bright sun or refelection may wash out the dot--been indoors and out, and outside is actually brigter.
    you waste time looking for it instead of shooting--if he's close enough to point shoot, point shoot. If there is sufficient time and distance (same time/distance that you'd use irons) use the dot.
    BG is wearing a red shirt--dot is still visible on red target, should be visible on a red shirt.
    the sun is in your eyes--that would be the same for irons as well as dots.
    practice with it and a timer--good advice. especially the "practice" part. Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

ymmv.

dan
    Last edited by jdsumner; May 22nd, 2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: honoring everyone's opinion

VIP Member
    Ditto on what jdsumner said. I have a 7.5 moa delta on my DeltaPoint, and the top of the triangle makes a very concise point of aim, regardless of distance. Why does 21 feet continually get mentioned as the outside range for SD? If I am taking fire at 50, 60 or 100 yards, I'm shooting back.
    Guest1 and Cuda66 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

thanks, guys. i'll go with the bigger dot.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    thanks, guys. i'll go with the bigger dot.
    Consider comparing it to a triangle before buying one. I did, and was immediately impressed with the delta vs the round dot.
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    I would go with what best suits your eyes,but at 50' that 8 minute dot will just about cover a torso.
    8 MOA equals 8 inches at 100 yards, so the dot would be a little less than 1.5 inches at 50 feet... maybe cover a very small torso!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    8 MOA equals 8 inches at 100 yards, so the dot would be a little less than 1.5 inches at 50 feet... maybe cover a very small torso!
    Yep, and at that same one hundred yards, the top of the delta aligns perfectly with any point on the torso one chooses.
    Tuco

Who does the mount work to put an RMR on the pistol slide? I have one mounted on my Mossberg 935spx shotgun. Might want to go to pistol mount.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Who does the mount work to put an RMR on the pistol slide? I have one mounted on my Mossberg 935spx shotgun. Might want to go to pistol mount.
    Depends on the pistol, not all slides can be machined to accomodate an RMR. FN sells the FNX45 Tactical and Competition already set up for mini red dots and S&W is just coming out with a line of M&P pistols that have factory milled slides.
    Check the sites below, they sell guns already set up and also offer milling services to cut your slide.
    Home | TSD Combat Systems
    One Source Tactical
    Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    David Bowie did mine, and many others. His work is excellent. Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page
    Tuco

Mounts

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I have Trijicon RM02s with the 8MOA dot on two of my pistols. It seems to be the most usable compromise between speed and accuracy, the 3MOA dots are just too small to pick up quickly. My patrol rifle optic has an adjustable dot that goes from 1-10MOA, under 50yds I keep it set on 10, it's faster and still plenty accurate.

Remember, an 8MOA dot covers an 8" area at 100yds, 4" at 50yds, 2" at 25yds, and so on. It's not as big as it sounds. Also, if your gun is set up right you'll have taller "suppressor sights" that will cowitness with the dot, so no worries aout the optic failing, etc.

This is my FNP-45 Tactical and FNS-9:
    ===
    So what type of mounts are you using for the Trijicons? They look almost flush mounted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links