Ordered a police trade in model 65.... With no firing pin!

This is a discussion on Ordered a police trade in model 65.... With no firing pin! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So there was a used model 65 for sale at sportsman outdoor superstore, and I ordered it online. I went home and noticed something was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ordered a police trade in model 65.... With no firing pin!

So there was a used model 65 for sale at sportsman outdoor superstore, and I ordered it online. I went home and noticed something was wrong... No firing pin! Never seen that before.

Anyway, I called but got no answer, so we'll see if they step up. I know I'm supposed to check out any online purchase at time of pickup, but I didn't think to check for this.

I was wondering if anyone knew how easy a fix this is. Is it just getting a simple part and having a local gunsmith throw it in? And how much is that gonna cost? Thanks, all.

I'll post a picture when I get the chance.

Call S&W customer svc. I once had a cylinder release screw work loose and get lost along with the button itself and they sent both to me free. Granted, this was a while ago, but they've always been pretty helpful.

I wouldn't think it would take too much gunsmithing, it's just a couple of rivets that hold on the pin/nose, right?

So, I wonder if they pulled all of them during the trade-in as some misguided safety program. Should've been disclosed anyhow. Weird.

VIP Member
    Are you sure the firing pin is missing and not captive in the frame, looking at the schematic from Numrich arms it appears the pin is in the frame and struck by a transfer bar mechanism.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

You sure it isnt an NYPD trade-in? I think the NYPD took the firing pins out of their issued and off duty weapons. Firing pins are dangerous. They could accidentally hit the primer and make a loud noise, causing severe injury and death in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Are you sure the firing pin is missing and not captive in the frame, looking at the schematic from Numrich arms it appears the pin is in the frame and struck by a transfer bar mechanism.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories
    Pretty sure the pin/hammer nose is part 48 on that chart. It's not a transfer bar you're looking at, but a hammer block (it moves out of the way when the trigger is fully depressed).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Pretty sure the pin/hammer nose is part 48 on that chart. It's not a transfer bar you're looking at, but a hammer block (it moves out of the way when the trigger is fully depressed).
    Oooops my mistake.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

It's a 65-6, and I don't think the pin is on the hammer. For what it's worth, the trigger is nice, the gun balances great, and it's in fairly decent shape. It's a three inch barrel and stainless.

VIP Member

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    It's a 65-6, and I don't think the pin is on the hammer. For what it's worth, the trigger is nice, the gun balances great, and it's in fairly decent shape. It's a three inch barrel and stainless.
    The 65-6 has the frame mounted firing pin.

Make sure the gun is empty, close the cylinder, cock the hammer and place a pencil (eraser first) in the barrel ...... point the gun up and pull the trigger. The firing pin striking the eraser will cause the pencil to eject upwards.
    Secret Spuk and bmcgilvray like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

A 3-inch K-Frame .357 Magnum is an awfully useful handgun, capable of accomplishing much of what could rationally be required of a handgun. You did well to get into that nice used one, saving some money in the process.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Firing pin or no firing pin, I'm jealous.

The 3" model 65 is a classic.
    marcclarke likes this.

eraser test is great you can also use a new pencil and hold it down to verify firing pin contact on eraser (it will leave a dimple)

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    u mean you wanted it to FIRE also.........Geeez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links