Defensive Carry banner

Kahr micro for pocket carry: MK9 or PM9?

6K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  DRGLOCK30 
#1 · (Edited)
I have some questions about the MK9 vs. the PM9 for pocket carry, as a backup gun (BUG).

These two are nearly identical, except the PM9 has a polymer frame and weighs 14oz, whereas the MK9 is all-steel and weighs 22oz. Choice of color/finish, sights. I appreciate the weight differences, particularly as it affects desirability for all-day carry, and in terms of risk of limp-wristing the recoil.

Note:
  • Not interested in any feedback on ergonomics, usage.
  • Not interested in alternatives to the PM9, MK9 (in this thread). I want comparative points about these two, and that's it.

Questions: Function / Reliability differences between the PM9 and MK9
  1. Basic reliability -- What's your opinion about polymer-framed guns, in this regard, specifically in comparison to an equivalent one made in all-steel?
  2. Slide operation -- Any reason why one or the other would operate any differently, or more reliably? If so, why?
  3. Slide stiffness -- Is the stiff nature of the mini Kahrs something that they all experience, given the size? Does the stiffness lessen over time?
  4. Cycling of rounds -- Any difference in terms of reliability to feed, eject or cycle bullets?
  5. Feeding -- Are feeding problems common with the mini Kahrs?
  6. Have you had a PM9 or MK9 and had the Kahr gunsmithing shop perform any smoothing/changes, specifically for reliability?
  7. Have you ever used either an MK9 or PM9? If so, what do you like/dislike about it?
Am interested in any concrete examples, if you have them. The more detail the better.

Thanks!

Some may know that I'm currently running a PM9 through its paces, for possible use as a daily carry gun. However, I'm having a notable number of FTF problems. A symptom of the break-in is also minor gouging along the plastic "rail" area on the frame, though it's unknown if this is merely a typical break-in characteristic or is actually related to the cycling issues (as Kahr has indicated).

- Michael

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the MK9 and loved it. Very accurate out to 25 yards. It ran flawless for me through about 450 rounds (well past the break in period). Then I had a malfunction that was very hard to clear. The round fired, but the empty shell casing got stuck on the extractor. I had to use the rest in front of me to pry the casing off. It took some time to clear, enough for me to be in trouble if I were in a gun fight. Maybe this was a fluke and may have never happened again, but it was enough to scare me into getting rid of the gun.

I've had several semi-autos and never experienced anything like this. I probably could have sent it back to Kahr, but that type of malfunction was a little too scary for me. If I were able to just slap the floor plate, rack the slide and start shooting again, I would have dealt with it.

Otherwise the gun was a pleasure to carry (IWB, 4 o'clock) and was very comfortable in my hand. Too bad.

I'm not trying to steer you away from Kahrs, but you might want to consider a S&W j frame. 5 shots instead of 7, but they are guaranteed to go "BANG".

Good luck.

#3 ·
... you might want to consider a S&W j frame. 5 shots instead of 7, but they are guaranteed to go "BANG".
Made a conscious decision to go to a primary/BUG combination. Sold my J-frame S&W 442 Airweight a few months back. Am carrying a CZ P01 primary, with a KelTec P3AT as backup. The PM9/MK9 would be strictly as backup. The J-frame guns are quite a bit larger, and it's primarily size that's driving my decision ... assuming solid reliability.

#4 ·
I have no experience with the 9mm Micros, but I did have a PM40. I bought it used and for the 1st 150 rounds I had at least 2 FTFs with every mag. And the mag only held 5 rounds. I sent it back and when I got it back it was nearly flawless through 250 rounds. But, the sections of the polymer frame started to have gouges and rough spots. I've heard the MKs are made better, although pocket carrying them would be uncomfortable.

I sold it and I've decided to save up for a Rohrbaugh. I want to buy guns I'll keep forever and pass down.

#5 ·
I had a PM9 and had problems. Would not load with a full clip, slide would lock back when trying to load the first round. The slide was always difficult to operate, had a notchy feel. The gun showed excessive wear after 500 rounds. Considering the capacity of 6+1, I would carry a light weight revolver or go to a slightly larger semi-auto

J.S.

#6 ·
On occasion I do carry a PM9 inside pocket. That is about as heavy as I can imagine carrying a gun that way. I did check out a MK9 in the store, and found it to be just too heavy for comfortable pocket carry. Given the weight of MK9, it seems to have to much
"pendulum" motion. I have had no problems with my Kahr which has about 500 rounds through it. I figure if your gonna buy a small 9mm (especially for carry in pocket) it ought to be light. Good luck.

#7 ·
I appreciate everyone's comments so far. Please confine any comments to the PM9, MK9. In this thread, I'm not interested in discussing any other alternatives ... such as larger semi-autos, revolvers, or choices besides these two: the PM9, MK9.

#8 ·
I wasn't trying to convince you to switch to a different brand. Just telling you my experience with the Kahr line. And if I were going to choose another micro Kahr it would be the MK series or maybe the Covert models. But I was so dissapointed I'm going to another brand altogether.

#9 ·
I like others swear by and .at Khars...I love my T-9 and any of the steel framed ones, I have owned have worked from the get go , full tilt boogie out of the box,,My Pm9 on the other hand has suffered thru the barrel recall and at lest 1500 rounds before it smooth out and will feed any hollow point given to it..

I have never had a problem with their customer service,, some have,,when they work they are great pistols,,I carry the Pm9 in the pocket just about every day.. I traded a colt pony in 380 for my first one,

If I was going to get another for pocket carry I would go steel frame and just have the pockets beefed up like I used to do with snubbies.

#10 ·
In the past, I've seen customers buy all models of Kahrs, and most have come back (FTF, FTE, Stovepipes)
It seems, the main trouble is within the mags. I think, that due to the troubles connected with this, i'd opt for another type, or manufacturer. If it's going to be used a a BUG, then it HAS perform flawlessly for you. You could opt for that new Kimber Aegis gun, or something similar or another wheelie gun. I prefer the Charter 44Spl Pug myself, as it's about the same size as a Colt detective Spl...or Ruger SP101...........

#12 ·
(FTF, FTE, Stovepipes) It seems, the main trouble is within the mags.
Does anyone know of specific mfrs of magazines that fit the MK9, PM9 series of Kahrs? I've hunted around a bit, but have yet to find any.

#11 · (Edited)
I just picked up an MK9 Elite 03 and put 320 rounds through her this morning. I had a FTE on the 8th round, but after that, flawless. I didnt even clean it during my test and all shots were fired within 1 1/2 hours. She was hot and dirty but kept right on going. I'm very impressed with the MK9 Elite and would highly recommend it now that I have seen for myself the quality first hand. I have heard too many bad things about the Poly PM series, but if mine is any representation, the MK series are top notch.

Edit to add: I would rather deal with the weight of the MK in the pocket than have reliability issues. Plus, the weight makes the MK series shoot even better in my opinion.

#14 ·
I have a PM9, MK40, and P40. The PM9 for about 8 months, the others for over a year. The PM9 was used though I could not see any evidence of use at all - not a mark on it. I have put 1500 to 2000 rounds thru each. The PM9 and MK40 have never had any problem at all that I can remember. I do not recall any FTF or FTE, though it is hard to imagine that there has never been one. The P40 has had two problems. The pin holding the trigger is getting loose and backs out partway with 50 or so rounds. I have not taken care of this yet. The mag release broke (metal part came out), but Kahr sent a new one. Comparing the two I see that the design has changed and it appears that this can not easily happen with the new one. Slide stays stiff - I believe its just a characteristic of the gun. You should replace slide spring every 2000 rounds anyway according to Kahr, as it gets worked hard. I like all of them tremendously. The all steel seems especially rugged, though a bit heavy for pocket carry, so I usually do IWB. The PM9 is a great pocket gun and feels very sturdy to me. Seems to me you got a lemon. I'd send it back. Customer service has been great for me.
Keith

#16 ·
Tried Both-Still Have MK9

Started out with the PM9. Had a multitude of function problems right away which were unacceptible for a carry weapon. Took it back to the dealer-he was sympathetic and allowed me to trade the PM9 for an MK9-very equitably. The dealer said he'd deal with Kahr and the problematic PM9. Great dealer. The MK9 is everything I've wanted it to be. Small (concealable), accurate, completely reliable, and easy to shoot well. Fit and finish of mine is excellent and it isn't even the Elite version. Relative to the PM9 it is heavier but I think of that as an advantage rather than a negative. A pistol this size needs a little heft to make shooting more enjoyable as well as controllable-which equates to better confidence/accuracy in the end. It also allows you to get back on target for faster followup. It is very versatile as a carry weapon because of its' size. IWB, OWB, ankle or pocket carry, it does it all. I prefer back pocket carry in a De Santis Nemesis holster but it virtually disappears anywhere you carry it. I can't say enough good about the MK9... :congrats:

#17 ·
Started out with the PM9. Had a multitude of function problems right away which were unacceptible for a carry weapon. Took it back to the dealer-he was sympathetic and allowed me to trade the PM9 for an MK9-very equitably. The dealer said he'd deal with Kahr and the problematic PM9.
Am contemplating exactly this. I've another range session coming up this weekend. If the PM9 doesn't sort out its difficulties by the end of the weekend (another 500 rounds or so), then it's dealer time. They've got Elites and MK9s in stock, so perhaps a swap is in order. We'll see. Nice that they're the same size as the PM9.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

#20 ·
I have the MK9 at home. My wife has it for her daily carry piece. Between the 2 of us we have put about 800 rounds or so through it and have had 0 problems after the 200 round break-in period. I never had a FTF, just a couple of stovepipes during break-in. The only other thing I noticed while breaking in the MK was that the slide would hang up just before battery using the slingshot method to load a round. Loading using the slide stop lever always brought the gun into battery however. I polished the feed ramp a little bit and haven't had the problem since. After the break-in period, with the success I have had with the MK, I certainly would bet my life on it. I have carried it pocket carry in a Desantis Nemesis holster and have had great luck with it.

It's accurate out to all SD distances, easy to conceal, very controllable for a small frame gun, and very reliable.

#21 ·
This may be only my experience, but I found the polymer framed Kahrs VERY uncomfortable to shoot; the backstrap bruised and abraded my hand. I bought a used K9 which I love and which has me leaving my G19 in the nightstand more and more. I'm seriously considering an MK9 as a backup/pocket carry option.

-Paul

#22 ·
My pm has run fine after the 200 rd break inn , as to any peening issues mine has not shown anything , and i will note that the barrell and slide are identical with the mk/pm series so.... you draw your on conclusions on how much of an issue it actualy is .. i know kahr got a bad batch of barrells .. but this has imho become an urban legond other than specific manufacture dates . The big thing i see with the micro kahrs is that they are " brisk " not in felt recoil , but in necessairy slide velocity , the slide simply does not have enough mass to reliably chamber many rounds with a less than rock solid grip/stance anything that the operater does to lessten slide speed leads amost invariably to misfeeds of one sort or another .. all i can say is it may or may not be for you .. try one and see while you keep in mind that your worst day at the range far exceeds your best day in a shooting .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.