Low buck fun gun

This is a discussion on Low buck fun gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 First...ya' gotta' be careful about how fast you say the title of the thread... ...:...

View Poll Results: Which budget-priced fun gun?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • CZ-82

10 31.25%
  • Romanian of Polish Tokarev

3 9.38%
  • Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 special

13 40.63%
  • Charter Arms Undercover .38 special

6 18.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Low buck fun gun

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    First...ya' gotta' be careful about how fast you say the title of the thread...
    ...:

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    First...ya' gotta' be careful about how fast you say the title of the thread...
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Voted the 38 since it is fun to shoot and will carry better than the 44 ( in my case). but if you don't already have a 44 then get one.
    you should look at the EAA now on sale 279.00
    lowercase likes this.

I'm a gonna guess the 44 special. That would be a "fun gun" for me I reckon since I've never owned one. Always wanted a 44Mag like Clint Eastwood had back in the day....yeah...would be an interesting one for me.

FDE
    +1 on the .22 semi auto idea. My favorite is the Bersa Thunder 22 or Firestorm FS 22 which can be had for around $250 and can shoot bulk pack .22 ammo on the CHEAP! Makes for a great trail gun, plinker, and trainer for your other autoloaders. Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by FDE View Post
    +1 on the .22 semi auto idea. My favorite is the Bersa Thunder 22 or Firestorm FS 22 which can be had for around $250 and can shoot bulk pack .22 ammo on the CHEAP! Makes for a great trail gun, plinker, and trainer for your other autoloaders. Just my 2 cents...
    I have a Taurus PT-22 (don't laugh, it was my first handgun back in 1994 ) . I dug it out and cleaned it all up and it runs like a champ with CCI Mini-Mags. I put pink grips on it and it will be my wife's first gun when she starts shooting next month.

Here's my PT-22, all tricked out in pink, with pink accessories for wifey. BTW, she likes pink.

pink gun & stuff.jpg

Thanks for all of the replies.

I've pretty much decided on a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 special. I want one in stainless and plan to outfit it with Pachmayr compact grips like the one in the picture (graciously borrowed from the internet).

Charter_Arms_Bulldog_2.jpg

I'll have to wait a little bit, though, because Bud's has S&W 3" Model 10 police trade-ins back in stock, and there's no way I could pass on one of those because I missed out last time. I love .38s, 3" revolvers, and Model 10s in general. Just ordered one!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "I already have 2 Bulgarian Makarovs, a Polish P-64, and a few snubbies to include a 1st generation Charter Undercover."

You've already got carry well covered and all of the above could be entertaining to shoot. Only the .44 Bulldog is something a bit different from the focus of your handgun collection so far and feeding it will not be a low-buck proposition unless you handload for .44 Special.

While it may not be on the list, this handgun collection is crying for a .22 handgun of some sort. You just can't do both low-buck and fun any better than a .22 pistol or revolver. Doesn't Charter Arms still produce their .22 Pathfinder?
    They do still produce their Pathfinder, and I certainly wouldn't mind the snubbie version in .22lr, but I can't find a review on that exact model to save my life.

I do have a Taurus PT22 as well as a High Standard Sentinel Mk IV 3" in .22 WMR. The High Standard was a recent and inexpensive find, but I can't seem to get good groups out of it. Also, with CCI Maxi-Mag 40-grain ammo, it keyholed like crazy.

What you really need is one of these little Smith & Wesson Model 34 2-inch .22 revolvers like the one in this photo. It belongs to a family member. It's a great little revolver. It'd be worth saving up for.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Being a CZ82 owner, it was an easy answer for me.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

CZ 82 and cheap hardly go together but the CZ is a TANFOGLIO clone and here's an Isralei trade in 9mm, cheapest to shoot and great guns 279 and free shipping CENTURY / TANFOGLIO USED COMBAT SHOOTING COHAI 4.5 9mm $279.00 SHIPS FREE almost bought one myself.

.22 is the way to go for low cost fun gun. Ruger LCR in .22. I have one. It's fun. Ruger SP101 those are popular but expensive. Ruger SR22 semi-auto fun. Charter was making a .22 pathfinder. That might be inexpensive. Try finding an old H&R .22 revolver. There are a lot of options out there.

From your choices there, I'd say the CZ. Although none of them are low cost (ammo wise that is).
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links