Low buck fun gun

This is a discussion on Low buck fun gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just looking for something to pick up. Low price and fun to shoot, plus ability to be carried are my requirements. I'm a fiend for ...

View Poll Results: Which budget-priced fun gun?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • CZ-82

10 31.25%
  • Romanian of Polish Tokarev

3 9.38%
  • Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 special

13 40.63%
  • Charter Arms Undercover .38 special

6 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Low buck fun gun

Low buck fun gun

Just looking for something to pick up. Low price and fun to shoot, plus ability to be carried are my requirements. I'm a fiend for both snub-nosed revolvers, and milsurp com-bloc semi-autos, hence my list of choices.

I already have 2 Bulgarian Makarovs, a Polish P-64, and a few snubbies to include a 1st generation Charter Undercover. I'm really leaning towards one of the revolvers because I'm on a revolver kick these days.

My choices are:

1.) CZ 82

2.) Romanian or Polish Tokarev

3.) Charter Bulldog 44 Special

4.) Charter Undercover .38 special

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you have the 9x18 covered... I'll vote .44 Special.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Yep, the .44 would be a dandy addition.

VIP Member
    I may be mistaken, but I don't think .44 Spec is going to be fun shooting out of a snubby. I voted for the CZ.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    For a 'fun gun', I vote .38 special.

Here's my 'fun gun' for this year: Ruger® Vaquero® Stainless Single-Action Revolver Models

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Go with the 44

The Bulldog will be alot of fun if the loads are not to hot. Believe me I know.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

"I already have 2 Bulgarian Makarovs, a Polish P-64, and a few snubbies to include a 1st generation Charter Undercover."

You've already got carry well covered and all of the above could be entertaining to shoot. Only the .44 Bulldog is something a bit different from the focus of your handgun collection so far and feeding it will not be a low-buck proposition unless you handload for .44 Special.

While it may not be on the list, this handgun collection is crying for a .22 handgun of some sort. You just can't do both low-buck and fun any better than a .22 pistol or revolver. Doesn't Charter Arms still produce their .22 Pathfinder?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "I already have 2 Bulgarian Makarovs, a Polish P-64, and a few snubbies to include a 1st generation Charter Undercover."

You've already got carry well covered and all of the above could be entertaining to shoot. Only the .44 Bulldog is something a bit different from the focus of your handgun collection so far and feeding it will not be a low-buck proposition unless you handload for .44 Special.

While it may no be on the list, this handgun collection is crying for a .22 handgun of some sort. You just can't do both low-buck and fun any better than a .22 pistol or revolver. Doesn't Charter Arms still produce their .22 Pathfinder?
    Agree. A .22 revolver is a lot of fun. If you get one with a .22 mag cylinder, you can use it for defense as well.

Another idea is an ultra-small, ultra-light weight "always" gun. Think Ruger LCP, Kel tec P3at, Taurus TCP, etc.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

what I don't understand is for a 100.00 more on any gun you posted you can upgrade. a low budget fun gun to me is a .22 not a 44 mag that cost 65-80 cents a shot
    accessbob and tkruf like this.

Off your list I'd personally go with the cz 82 as I don't have a pistol of that type yet and I think they're pretty cool. Of the revolver flavor I'd probably go with the .44 bulldog though I already have reloading dies for the .44 if you don't reload you'll likely spend more on ammo than ya did the gun in pretty short order if you recreate with it much. If you don't reload I'd probably stick with the .38 for my revolver fix. Another low cost option in place of the cz 82 might be a bersa thunder. I bought one for my x several years ago and it was a pretty sweet little shooter. I'll probably buy another for myself at some point.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    a low budget fun gun to me is a .22 not a 44 mag that cost 65-80 cents a shot
    ^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Well since you already have a Charter Undercover in 38 special I see no point in getting one of the new ones. I would suggest the 44 also. Sure the ammo is going to cost more, but thats the price of having a "fun" gun. I always compare entertainment value to the cost of a movie with hotdog, popcorn and soda. If I get more fun out of shooting a box of ammo that cost the same as a trip to the movies then I figure it was a good value.

BTW I also have a first generation Charter Undercover. Nice gun, shoots well enough and conceals well, plus the price was right, got it from my fiancee's Dad's estate for two bundles of shingles installed on a dormer of his house before the fiancee sold it. Then she moved in with me, so I guess you could say the gun came with her, or she came free with the gun!

For fun on the cheap, nothing beats a .22lr regardless of make or model. What sense does it make to buy an inexpensive fun gun if you have to run expensive ammo through it to have fun???
    phreddy, 10thmtn and bmcgilvray like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

First...ya' gotta' be careful about how fast you say the title of the thread...

I'm with the .22 plunker crowd...any .22...
    accessbob and bmcgilvray like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links