Kimber Solo vs. Rohrbaugh R9

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo vs. Rohrbaugh R9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to this form and have a few questions about the Kimber Solo and the Rohrbaugh R9. I have been doing a lot ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott_T
  • 2 Post By los

Thread: Kimber Solo vs. Rohrbaugh R9

Kimber Solo vs. Rohrbaugh R9

I am new to this form and have a few questions about the Kimber Solo and the Rohrbaugh R9. I have been doing a lot of research online I found that the Solo has had some issues recently (peening of the slide caused by barrel rubbing, FTE issues, slide inadvertantly locking back after a dew rounds. Conversely it seems that the R9 is more reliable and has a better build quality, and no reported issues.

If anyone has either/both of these guns, I would really like your opinion on why you would carry one over the other.

Thanks,

Dominick

2. Remove Ads

I have both the Kimber Solo STS and a Rohrbaugh R9s (as well as a Kahr PM9). Both of these pistols have been flawless for me. A couple quick things from my experience:

Size: The R9 is a good bit smaller & lighter. The Solo is not large by any means, and I find it to be a tiny bit smaller than my PM9 and it conceals better as well as having a better "melt" job. The R9 though - this thing is tiny. Smaller than the Solo in every dimension and a few ounces lighter as well.

Build quality: Both of these pistols are of superb quality in my opinion. Neither of these pistols show any machining marks, are both nice and tight and exude craftmanship. I do find though that the R9s seems to be just a little bit higher quality but this might be all in my mind due to paying a higher price for this pistol. The finish on the Solo (Kimpro) is definatley not as tough as the finish on the Rohrboaugh R9s.

Shootability and Recoil: Solo seems to win here on both counts for me. The sights are much better and the recoil for me is less on the Solo than the R9. I am a little bit more accurate with the Solo. Both have nice triggers, and I find I like the Solo trigger a bit better being striker rather than hammer on the R9.

Ergonomics: While this is of course subjective, Solo wins here for me as well. I find it to be much more comfortable in my hands. The R9 is a little more "blocky" feeling. The Solo is much more rounded and contoured and I love the way it fits my hand.

Both hold the same number of rounds.

The Solo is very ambidextrous. Ambi mag release, Ambi safety. The R9 though does not have a slide lock, or a safety so it is also very ambi due to lack of controls but I do prefer the slide lock and I a used to swiping a safety off from owning 1911's so I like having these controls. The R9 does not lock back after the last round due to not having a slide lock.

I pocket carry these pistols in Desantis Nemesis holsters and both can easily be pocketed, but of course the R9 is just a bit easier due to size & weight.

With the Solo being a few hundred dollars less I think it is a better value, but do keep in mind that it it designed to run on 124 grain or higher ammunition. Using quality 124 or better ammo, I have never had one issue with mine. My R9 can be a little ammo finicky as well but I have found mine loves Gold dots so I stick with these.

I hope this helps a bit, this is all off the top of my head so if you have any specific questions I will try to answer them.

Thanks,
    Scott
    640, R9s, Solo, PM9, P380

Scott_T ; Nice job there, Philly kind of guy! All in all, I'd be hard pressed to pay the $$$$$ for a Rohrbaugh with all the other good, less expensive guns available. You could have TWO S&W Shields, for goodness sake! Or a Glock 26 AND 27. To each his own.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Philly Boy: Thanks, and yep Philly born and raised here. I do agree, if I were to give a recommendation to a friend who was looking for a small single stack 9, I would recommend either the Kahr CM9 or the Shield. Both of them going for around $400 and both being fine pistols, there is some real value there.

I have the feeling though that the OP is not looking for a polymer pistol though considering his 2 choices. Of the2 the Kimber seems to be the better value. I forgot to mention to the OP that I would wait until the Sig P938 comes out as this looks to be a real nice small metal 9 that should be a little less expensive than either the Solo or the R9 and will most likely be a very nice option.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    640, R9s, Solo, PM9, P380

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_T View Post
    I have both the Kimber Solo STS and a Rohrbaugh R9s (as well as a Kahr PM9). Both of these pistols have been flawless for me. A couple quick things from my experience:

Size:...The Solo is not large by any means, and I find it to be a tiny bit smaller than my PM9 and it conceals better...
    Interesting observation! Guess it shows how our impressions of guns tend to be a bit subjective. Your Solo is about 1/4" longer, 1/3" thicker, and about an ounce heavier than your PM9. The Kahr is 1/10" taller. Sounds like you just like the Kimber better!

I'm in a similar boat - been a rabid fan of my CM9 ever since I got it, but my new Shield "feels" like a comparable (or even better) size for a CCW, even though the specs show it's a tad bigger.

Regards,
    Jim

The Rorbough has the smoothest trigger I have seen on a stock gun. It is worth the big bucks.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

los
    One of my first renderings..:

Philly Boy and gunthorp like this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I'd considered a Rohrbaugh, and a Boberg, but, bought a Solo because Crimson Trace lasergrips were available for it. For such a small pistol, it's accuracy is pretty impressive.

VIP Member
    I chose the R9, because it's smaller, lighter, and has the nicest trigger. The gun stays rock solid when the hammer drops; no need to practice dry fire with the "pup." But it's a piece of executive jewelry.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I purchased the R-9 after looking at the others in the same field and I couldn't be happier. A great little gun that is built to last and shoots very good with mild recoil.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I have been extremely pleased with my Rohrbaugh. So much so, its the only pocket gun I carry anymore. All my other pocket guns have been relegated to living in the safe.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    <Slapping forehead> I hadn't realized the R9S was a 9mm essentially identical in size to the LCP.

LCP L=5.16" H=3.6" W=0.82" Wt=9.4 oz
    R9S L=5.20" H=3.7" W=0.812" Wt=14+ oz with magazine \

I just started saving for an R9S. If I like it, the P238, PPK/S, and LCP will go by-by.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Links